Ended Area Safety & Security Officer
CARE International is currently seeking an Area Safety & Security Officer. He/ She will lead on all issues related to safety and security.
Area Safety & Security Officer
The overall objective of this position is to lead on all issues related to safety and security, including mitigation of the risks posed to Area Office programs, personnel and assets in Yemen. The job holder will provide specialized, coordinated and focused security and risk management support to all staff. The job holder will maintain close working relationship with area program team, program support staff and security focal points/assistants, by providing mentoring support all the times. The Area Safety & Security Officer will work under the Area Manager as the direct supervisor for this position and the Safety & Security Coordinator as the technical supervisor.
- Communicates to the Safety & Security Coordinator and Area Manager the need to update the Safety & Security Plans whenever changes in the situation or circumstances occur.
- Participates in networking with other NGO security focal points or security officers.
- Reporting security incidents affecting all CARE staff, assets and program through the Simson system in a timely manner.
- Ensures that safety & security is always an agenda item at staff meetings.
- Drafts, edits and distributes routine security updates.
- Maintains routine and confidential correspondence files/documents related to safety & security.
- Prepares sit-reps a short weekly and monthly update/report on the field Safety and security situation for the security department at Country Office, to be approved by the area manger before being sent.
- Promotes all staffs to take/ complete CARE Academy Safety and Security Modules.
- Full representation of CARE in all security meetings.
Safety and Security Planning, Monitoring and Policy Implementation:
- Continually monitor and assess the context and situation to determine the extent of risk and vulnerability of CARE office, personnel and resources in all its operations, advising the programs staff accordingly.
- Provide daily security advice and support to field staff in order to ensure safe passage in the field by monitoring and gathering information on a daily basis.
- Regularly monitor the implementation of all safety and security policies, planning and procedures, ensuring they are well understood and fully adopted by all staff in the field office and all project sites.
- Promotes the development of a security culture.
- Responsible for leading area office risk assessments and maintains the area risk register.
- Maintains the office Safety and Security related documents.
- Supervises the Communication Tree, keep updated version and test on a monthly basis.
- Ensure vehicle and staff movements are monitored according to procedures and that necessary safety and security equipment are available and in good condition.
- Facilitate staff evacuation/relocation in emergency situations.
- Supervises the procurement of equipment related to safety & security upgrades and trainings.
- Oversees the implementation of all Standard Operating Procedures.
All Safety and Security Procedures are in Place and Functioning:
- Prepare and arrange individual security briefings for all visitors and new staff.
- Communicate with local authorities to coordinate the movement of CARE staff at checkpoints, reducing related risks and delays.
- Support the field staff in planning and implementing risk mitigation strategies (acceptance, deterrence, protection) in order to improve access to the target areas and intended communities.
- Train staff in safety and security and provide regular briefings and updates.
- Supervises security guards of field office, monitor security measures, provide guidance and advices as required.
- Perform regular checks to ensure that first aid kits and fire extinguishers are located appropriately in all CARE offices and vehicles and meet standards, replenishing and calling extinguisher specialists as needed.
Providing Planning and Coordination Support:
- Update & Review the Area Office contingency plans and Safety and Security documents on a quarterly basis.
- Coordinate and lead the effort for the monthly risk assessment review.
- Keeps close coordination with Safety and Security department at the Country Office.
- bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field.
- Specialized training in safety, security.
- 3-5 years of experience working with INGOs or related field.
- Strong background and related professional experience in safety, security and emergency preparedness, logistics and planning with an INGO or similar organization.
- High level of interpersonal skills and patience
- Excellent computer skills – including Microsoft Office.
- Very good written and oral English and Arabic skills.
- Excellent organizational and coordination skills.
- Ability to relate effectively with a range of audiences and individuals to ensure confident planning and implementation of duties.
- Demonstrated high attention to details.
- Demonstrable commitment to gender-sensitive practices
Application Procedure: Interested applicants should send a CV (English) by Nov 18th, 2019 to email@example.com
with the subject heading ‘Area Safety & Security Officer - Hajja’. Please do not apply unless you meet minimum application requirements, otherwise you will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.