Ended Translator/ HR Department Support
TITLE: Translator/ HR department support
Handicap International is an independent and impartial international aid organization working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. Working alongside persons with disabilities and other vulnerable groups, our action and testimony are focused on responding to their essential needs, improving their living conditions and promoting respect for their dignity and their fundamental rights. Handicap International is a not-for-profit organization with no religious or political affiliation. More information can be found at http://www.handicap-international.org
GLOBAL OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
Under the line management of the HR Coordinator , The Translator will be in charge of the translation of a diverse range of Handicap International in Yemen mission documents. He/She will also be required to assist the HR/Admin Department
Line manager: Human Resources Coordinator
Team managed: N/A
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS DESCRIPTION
- Provide translation work of various types to all HI departments in Yemen, both for the main delegation in Sana'a, and for the sub- office
- Ensure accurate and timely translation of incoming and outgoing official letters for all departments as required
- Ensure accurate and timely translation of incoming and outgoing reports, news releases, operational updates, interviews, speeches, speaking notes, and other documents
- Summarizes documents – be they reports, news articles or other material – and provide a written summary when required
- Proofreads documents (letters, reports etc) both in Arabic and English
- Provides 'quick sight' verbal translation of documents when required
- Provides simultaneous translation and interpenetration during high- and mid-level meetings, security, briefings, workshops and seminars as required
- Regularly familiarizes and updates himself/herself on local and regional events, particularly in relation to HI activities and other relevant information
- Regularly update local terminologies, (official names of ministries, departments, companies, media outlets and so forth) to ensure accuracy, consistency and neutrality
- Regularly update the transliteration of the names of geographical areas in the country (governorates, cities, villages and mountains etc), to ensure accuracy:
- Organize the filing of the paper archives for the translation department as necessary under supervision of the Line Manager
- Produces three-monthly statistics of the translation work undertaken during that period
HR Department Support:
- Any sort of support and assistance and any tasks and duties assigned by the Line Manager at the level of an assistant.
- Report and clarify any work-related issues and challenges to supervisor in timely manner
- Respect time including to work, meetings, deadlines and other reasonable requests from direct supervisor or Program Manager
- Maintain a good team spirit amongst staff and colleagues
- Commit to honest, quality work in the field
- Carry out any other tasks as reasonably assigned by management
JOB CHARACTERISTICS / REQUIREMENTS:
- Professional skills, university education, preferably with a certified translation degree (including interpretation and proofreading) (knowledge of medical terminology would be an asset)
- Minimum two years of translation experience, preferably with a Humanitarian Organization
- Adequate Microsoft Office knowledge including, Word, Excel and Power Point
- Excellent written and spoken Arabic and English (French would be an asset), high linguist skills.
- The salary will be defined according to HI’s existing salary scale
- Based in Sana’a, with frequent movements to the field
- Start: ASAP
- 30 day leave/year + benefits (transport allowance, health insurance, life insurance)
- The working hours are the following: 8:00 to 16:30 (with 30 minutes lunch break) from Sunday to Thursday.
- Note that working time can go up to 48 hours per week (according to the Yemen labor law) if it is required by the volume of activities and by the line manager.
Note that this job description must remain flexible, to respond to additional tasks or changes as identified by the line manager.
Information being accessed by the Translator due to his/her position within the organization is strictly confidential. Any breach of confidentiality will be considered as a gross misconduct.
Any breach of the above-mentioned responsibilities, of the Internal Regulation or of Terms and Conditions of Engagement may be sanctioned by a written warning or immediate dismissal if appropriate.
- Interested candidates may please send their CV with cover letter in English, with the reference in the email subject: YEME/HR/2019/PROG/Translator-HRSUP/SAH+ Applicant full name
Deadline for applications is 11:30 pm on Friday 15th November 2019
- Please address all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Handicap International, is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.