Ended Engineer Officer
Save the Children in Yemen is looking for eligible candidates for the positions of:
Engineer Officer – Based in Taiz
Be responsible for the design, implementation, follow up and evaluation of Health facilities infrastructure construction and rehabilitation in communities targeted by Save the Children. The post is specifically oriented towards the HEALTH emergency response in the context of the crisis, and special attention will be made on the integration of the HEALTH sector in other core sector of Save the Children such as nutrition, food security, education and child protection.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: project Manager
Staff reporting to this post: Non
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Be responsible for technical part of HEALTH needs assessments and participate in the selection of target communities and HEALTH facilities to be rehabilitated and / or build in the project, through technical feasibility studies, household level questionnaires, focal group discussions, visits to facilities and sites, and interview with key members of the community.
Program design and implementation:
- Be responsible for the design, establishment of work specifications and quotation, follow-up and evaluation of activities related to the construction of HEALTH infrastructures in public institutions and communities, such as:
- Construction or rehabilitation of sanitation facilities (latrines, incinerator, refuse pit, sokage pit…).
- Construction or rehabilitation of drinking water infrastructures (hand dug well wells, boreholes, pipe network, reservoir, drinking water treatment device).
- Technical training of community volunteers, members of HEALTH committees, governmental staff
- Planning, organization and follow up of the community mobilization in target communities on issues related to of construction, operation and maintenance of HEALTH facilities.
- Be responsible to establish the technical aspect of the internal purchase order and tender documents for construction and rehabilitation of HEALTH facilities.
- Be responsible for the quality control of materials HEALTH bought by Save the Children and its subcontractors.
- Site management: general supervision of contractors and save the children staff under his management, ensuring the safety of construction sites and community participation.
- Validate the progress and quality of work of the contractors, and make the connection with the administration and logistics to ensure their payments.
- Design, implementation and organization of training for construction of small HEALTH facilities level (hand Heating device, sand filter ...).
- Follow up logistics / budget management / site supervision in case of direct intervention of Save the Children for small scale works (rehabilitation of water points or latrines etc ...)
- Follow-up of activities of local partners of Save the Children (such as local NGOs or governmental agencies) in the field of health facilities construction, and participate in their capacity building.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning:
- Verify that HEALTH infrastructure construction and rehabilitation works done by partners and contractor are carried out according to quality standards established by Save the Children through quality checklists
- Plan and be responsible for the weekly reporting of data in order to follow up the standard project and strategic indicators (number of beneficiaries, number and type of activities completed...)
- Writing weekly report to line manager, and verbal reports whenever necessary.
- Integration and working closely with hygiene promotion and other sector within SCI
- Ensure that construction works is integrated with hygiene promotion and community participation component, to ensure sustainability of the infrastructure built.
- Coordinate HEALTH construction activities with other sectors of Save the Children, in order to integrate activities in the same geographical area and for the same beneficiaries.
- Coordinate HEALTH construction activities with other local actors (governmental and non-governmental).
- Ensure the integration of gender, child protection, HIV, environment and other crosscutting issues to the design, implementation and development of HEALTH construction activities, and ensure that activities take into account the needs of specific groups and individuals, especially children, the elderly and disabled.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
University Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering or Architecture or relevant disciplines, or equivalent field
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least 2 years of experience in planning and implementation of small scale construction works, mainly community based on health, water and sanitation or related works.
- Previous experience of working effectively as part of a WASH project team.
- Experience in supervision of contractors and contract administration.
- Effective use of computers – Word and Excel and design & drawing software
- Commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability
- Good knowledge of safety standards and legislation related to construction and rehabilitation in Yemen
- A good team worker willing to learn from others, listen and provide sound technical advice on construction that will benefit children
- Strong organizational and planning skills with good communication skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of SC. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support.
- English as well as strong Arabic skills, written and spoken
We are looking for both men and women from Yemen with enthusiasm and commitment to improve the protection and promotion of the rights of all children in Yemen.
All applicants will be subject to Save the Children’s Child safe guarding Policy and Reference Checking Process.
To apply for this job please click on Engineer Officer