Education Data Management Assistant
Job Title: Education Data Management Assistant
Location: Hodeidah, Yemen
Duration: 1 year, with possible extension
Salary Range / Band: 9A –Administrative\Technical Support
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Yemen is the poorest country in the Arab world and has been plagued with internal conflicts in recent years. The current conflict in Yemen has created the world’s largest humanitarian crisis with 22.2 million people in need of assistance and millions on the brink of famine. At least 10% of the population has been driven from their homes, the economy is in freefall, and malnutrition and disease are widespread. For education, as for other basic services, the impact has been disastrous. Teachers are unpaid, school buildings are occupied or destroyed, and classrooms remain without basic materials and supplies. In short, the education system has largely collapsed, weakened as it was already by previous conflict, limited public funding and rapid population growth. As many as 4.5 million children have been out of school since the start of the school year in October 2017, with the hardest-to-reach and worst affected children from families among internally displaced populations (IDPs).
In such a context, addressing the education and protection needs of Yemen’s children calls for a local, community-centered approach that at the same time rebuilds the capacity of educational institutions from the bottom-up, bridging immediate humanitarian response with longer-term sustainable development objectives.
In this regard, IRC is implementing a three year program, Improving Access to Quality Education in Yemen (IAQY), with the goal of restoring education opportunities for out-of-school children (OOSC). This program will increase access to safe and quality education through improved service delivery at all levels and will expand equal access to education that meets the needs of crisis-affected OOSC. It will improve the quality of teaching and learning, increase the wellbeing of children and teachers, provide teacher training, ongoing school-based support and professional development, and raise the knowledge, skills and abilities for inclusive education of local and education district government officials, caregivers and community members. By the end of year 3, this program will have reached 14,040 OOSC aged 6 to 14, and bring the benefits of improved community and parental engagement, safer school environments, better trained and supported teachers to an estimated additional 16,200 children; furthermore, 2,025 School Father and Mother Councils (FMCs) members and 652 teachers will receive training and support.
SCOPE OF WORK: Under the direct supervision of the Education Data Management Officer, the Education Data Management Assistant contributes to enhancing the quality of the IRC Humanitarian Response programming through ensuring at least the minimum quality standards are applied in monitoring measures. He/she contributes toward the relevance, effectiveness and efficiency of IRC. In addition to program data management for quality purposes.
The Education Data Management Assistant will be based in Hodeidah.
- Conduct data collection like Post Implementation Monitoring, Observations, Surveys, Focus Group Discussions (FGDs) and Key Informant Interviews (KII) with different persons of different age groups (children, youth, adults) and different gender.
- Entering and cleaning the data from Post implementation monitoring, attendance, pre-post data, and other program activities data using the designed M&E tools, participate in data analysis and draft reports.
- Conduct training for casual workers on data collection methodologies
- Provide support for quantitative data collection activities. Especially supporting the team in using the tablets and commcare application (if applicable).
- Conduct data quality checks in the field and ensure accuracy and completeness of survey questionnaires
- Participate in the baseline, mid-term and end of term evaluations of programmes in accordance with the M&E standards
- Follow-up with the feedback mechanism process and make sure that each reported case is taking all the steps of analysed, categorized, taking actions and feedback to the complainant.
- Ensure that hard copies of data collected are kept at project sites.
- Plan with M&E Officer’s data collection needs and activities.
- Prepare informative field reports, identify shortcomings and make relevant recommendations on a regular basis.
- Work closely with all education team to build a mechanism of submission the data on weekly basis and start entering them.
- Being aware of all project indicators and report and alert to the Senior Education Officer.
- Any other relevant task as required
- Do other duties as assigned by the supervisors to effectively develop and implement IRC programs.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Education Data Management Officer
Indirect Reporting: N\A
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
- Internal: Close coordination with Community Mobilizers, Senior Program Officer, in Hodeidah.
- External: Collaboration with assessors and beneficiaries
- A bachelor degree or a working experience equivalent to it, a degree in statistics and computer sciences is preferable.
- Knowledge and background in the education programs.
- Strong organizational, communication skills and data analysis is required.
- Minimum experience of 1 year in the field of M&E and program management preferred.
- Strong report writing skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer skills especially with MS Office Excel is a MUST for data analysis and manipulation.
- Knowledge of mobile technology for data collection is an added advantage.
- Strong ability to work independently, organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
- Language Skills: Fluency in spoken and written Arabic, English will be an asset.
- Good contextual knowledge of local community and social/cultural constraints, realities and organizational relationships for effective project design and implementation.
- Communicates with integrity to different stakeholders- good interpersonal skills with people across a wide social range including project beneficiaries/community members, other IRC staff/managers, government officials etc.
- Ability to work after office hours to achieve assigned tasks as per need & priority
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, marital status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Qualified and Interested individuals are required to apply for this position via the IRC Career at the following link:
Deadline for Applying: November 20, 2019.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.