Ended Field Coordinator
Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
Position: Field Coordinator
Location: Ibb Governorate (Based in Yarim District).
Reporting to: General Coordinator
For our program in Yemen, we are looking for (Field Coordinator), based in Ibb Governorate, to start as soon as possible.
Under the responsibility of the General Coordinator, the Field Coordinator will supervise the overall field project team and ensure close collaboration between the logistic, medical and administrative departments and good team spirit. S/he will:
- Ensure smooth implementation of the project in Ibb governorate, according to project proposal including budget monitoring of activities, coordination with other NGOs and government bodies.
- Ensure team security and safety and compliance with security regulations for the staff under her/his own responsibility
- Assess continuously the humanitarian and security situation in the field and timely inform the general coordinator.
- Ensure adequate information flow within the different departments (medical, admin/ fin, logistic)
- Oversee and coordinate the general functioning of the base, and all departments
- Create/maintain a “team spirit” within the different departments, amongst the staff and within other bases staff.
Program implementation and management
- Good planning and implementation, create tools for use by whole team, support team communication, efficiency and effectiveness with tasks
- Ensure the implementation of the program and its follow-up in its different aspects: logistical, administrative / finance and medical.
- Continuously assess the needs & adjust the programmes to the needs in collaboration with the Coordination team.
- Ensure MDM engagement in active coordination mechanisms (such as clusters, field managers’ meetings, authorities meetings …etc.) to avoid overlapping with other actors.
- Contribute to the definition / revision of MDM strategy in Ibb, draw up scenarios and proposals, and support the budget creation/revision for future/new activities in collaboration with the coordination team and relevant departments
- Support medical team to overcome challenges and possible set-backs in program implementation. This includes leading negotiation with authorities in case of blocks, keep good relationship with MoPHP and sharing information on MDM activities with stakeholders.
- Ensure familiarity with donor compliance issues, ensuring all projects are compliant with these and MdM procedures
- Ensure appropriate administrative, financial and logistical MdM systems/procedures are in place (with the support of Admin Co, HR and LogCo), maintained and adhered to so that all support functions are carried out effectively and efficiently.
- Ensure regular communications are maintained between the different departments and act as a mediator when necessary.
- Responsible for accurate budget control and overall responsibility for financial management at the project site in line with project proposals.
- Ensure, in coordination with the Admin Coordinator that financial needs are well planned according to activities work plan.
Human Resource Management
- To be responsible for the well-being of all team members; conduct regular team building activities.
- Where relevant, contribute to recruitment and selection of national staff.
- Responsible for the disciplinary and grievance procedures of the national team under his/her line management
- Maintain good inter-team communications, engender good team dynamics, and take suitable action when problems occur.
- Support team members professionally and monitor and support stress management, including regular documented team meetings for planning and reporting purposes.
- Carry out appraisals as per MdM standard requirements and procedures.
- Ensure all new team members are adequately briefed on arrival in the field, and departing team members are debriefed.
- Responsible for capacity building and training of national personnel in collaboration with Sanaa coordination as well as HQ.
- Carry out representation with other NGOs, UN agencies, local and national government bodies, traditional authorities, donors and other relevant parties.
- Participate on a regular basis to all relevant meetings and be collaborative and build a strong relationship with all partners working in the area.
- When relevant and with the General Coordinator approval, represent MdM to donors, authorities, NGOs and other parties as necessary.
Safety and Security Management
- Ensure team security and safety in a highly changeable and volatile security environment in collaboration with the coordination team.
- Proactively monitor the political, military and security situation in the project areas and update the Logistic Coordinator / General Coordinator accordingly.
- Ensure that appropriate security guidelines are developed, communicated, adhered to, and regularly reviewed with the Logistic Coordinator / General Coordinator accordingly.
- Ensure timely and accurate security / incident reports are sent to the security focal point, Logistic Coordinator / General Coordinator.
- To elaborate coordination report with the coordination team.
- To ensure regular contacts with General Coordinator.
- To participate to proposals & reports to donors.
This list of activities is not exhaustive and may change depending on the situation.
- Experience with an international NGO working in emergency contexts, managing programmes, preferably within the health sector, or previous field experience with MdM in different contexts.
- Previous experience of project planning and budget holding; proposal and report writing.
- Knowledge and understanding of project management tools (Logical Framework analysis, project cycle management, objectives and indicators etc.).
- Strong leadership skills and a supportive management style (experience managing national and expatriate staff).
- Experience of security management at the field site level.
- Diplomacy, negotiation and networking skills.
- Essential, university degree in social or political sciences, social communication, health promotion or related studies
- Desirable degree in Project Management or HR Management.
- Medical background is a plus.
Personal skills required:
- Ability to work under a minimum of supervision
- Willing to live and work in challenging conditions
- Reactivity, anticipation, adaptability, capacity to take initiatives
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills in day to day and crisis situations
- Ability to classify and to manage priorities
- Listening and diplomacy skills
- Team spirit
- Capacity to work and to live in tense conditions (proximity to an armed conflict, unstable situation for NGOs)
- Send CV + cover letter (including job reference) to the email: email@example.com
- End of submission: Tuesday, 3rd Dec. 2019.
- Please specify the name of the position applying for in the subject of the email.
Thanks to note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.