Ended Protection Officer – Paramedic
Protection Officer – Paramedic
Duty Station [Lahj-Yemen]
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a protection of human rights framework, DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict. Programmers include protection, livelihood, food and NFI distribution, water and sanitation, and advocacy amongst others. DRC Yemen has been providing relief and development services in Yemen since 2008. DRC has mainly focused on refugees and migrants displaced by conflict and natural disasters.
DRC, through its specialized business unit, Danish Demining Group (DDG) aims to recreate a safe environment where people can live without the threat of landmines, unexploded ordinances and small arms and light weapons”. These goals can be effectively advanced through cooperation and joint action with other organization as well as with integration of operations and programs with its sister organization, DRC.
About the job:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct patrolling activities with the mobile team in kharaz and BEM .
- Conduct First Aid or any other medical pre-hospital and lifesaving emergency procedures to injured and sick migrants.
- Submit a brief medical report on each case received medical assistance.
- Refer cases which need for medical intervention to the local health facilities and other health service providers.
- Assist in conducting screening activities to migrants to profile and identify the protection needs and special need cases.
- Assist in conduct basic counselling to encounter migrants and provide legal information.
- Translate from Amharic, Oromo to English and vice-versa between migrants and other team members to
- ensure the proper communication and the delivery of the assistance.
- Submit on a daily basis a list of encountered migrants.
- Assist in distributing assistance to migrants including meal vouchers, dignity kits and any other kind of assistance requested by the donor(s).
- Developing and maintaining a positive relationship with the health providers, local authorities/ communities.
- Support the Protection officer writing monthly reports on identified and referred vulnerable cases.
- Entering data and assist in updating the database and assist in compiling it if needed.
- Any other tasks as requested by the supervisor.
- Stabilize and refer the cases to other medical facilities for further treatment
- Screening the most endemic area to provide any prevention procedure and provide the medical treatment for prevention.
To be successful in this role you must have:
Experience and technical competencies:
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- University Degree in Medicine and Surgery with experience or 3 years Diploma and 2 years’ experience.
- 2 years of experience working with international NGOs in health programs or with local health facilities.
- Have a valid medical practice license and have knowledge of emergency / pre-hospital medical assistance(first aid)
- Preferably to have experience in dealing with migrants;
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively with diverse members and groups including migrants, members of the host communities, local council members etc.
- Experience in carrying out interviews, organize work and provide assistance.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team in complex areas.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft office, applications (particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Excellent written and spoken English. A female, fluent speaker of Oromo and Amharic is preferred
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
• University degree in a medicine and Survey field (Nursing/Public health or any other relevant field of study) (bachelor’s degree preferred).
- Excellent written and spoken English. Fluent speaker of Oromo, Amharic and Somali is preferred
- Fluency in Arabic
DRC will offer the successful applicant a contract ends in 31 May 2020, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work As soon as possible, and be willing and able to work in Lahj.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. This position will be placed at Band (H Non- Manager).
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button or the link below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Applications close 4 December 2019. The interviews are expected to take place starting form 10 Dec 2019.
Need further information?
For more details on this position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that applications sent directly to [email@example.com] will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo