Ended WASH Team Leader - (CCCM)
WASH Team Leader - (CCCM)
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in the Middle East (ME) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey with a Regional Office (RO) in Amman.
DRC Yemen’s response
Throughout its nine field offices and a workforce of 450 staff, DRC upholds its main programmatic objectives to provide immediate and life-sustaining assistance, to strengthen the protective environment, and to reduce displacement related risks and vulnerabilities by promoting self-reliance at household and community level.
About the job
DRC Yemen is seeking an experienced Infrastructure/WASH Team Leader to be based in Abs to implement, oversee and coordinate WASH and Infrastructure activities. It is a key DRC position, with DRC expecting that the post holder with be qualified and possess WASH and civil engineering skills, knowledge and attitude to be immediately effective in the field. These include the active involvement and the full participation by all authorities and community leaders/members, paying special attention to women and girls. The WASH team Leader in Abs will report directly to the Camp Management Manager and technically to the Infrastructure Specialist/Coordinator.
- Oversee the design and implementation of all WASH/Infrastructure activities in Abs and newly identified geographic areas
- Ensure regular reporting to meet both internal and external requirements
- Carry out technical assessments to determine options and select best solutions based on technical, cost criteria and community priorities.
- Develop and review BoQs and drawings and procure technical services in line with DRC contracting procedures.
- With the MEAL team, develop and implement mechanisms to monitor projects performance, in consultation with local stakeholders, against work plans and project targets.
- Manage projects budget, including monthly review of expenditures, ensuring that funds are used for approved purposes and in accordance with DRC requirements.
- Managing Officers and Assistants including development of work plans, daily supervision, and carrying out disciplinary action as needed
- Ensure that laborers, contractors and any other workers are supervised, managed and paid on time
- Ensure staff compliance with DRC’s Code of Conduct and humanitarian accountability requirements.
Coordination and community engagement:
- Ensure the buy-in and participation of local communities in projects’ activities.
- Co-ordinate and work with government authorities, local government institutions, non-governmental organizations, community-based organizations and local communities in order to ensure the smooth execution of program activities
- Take leadership role in WASH coordination at Hajjah and Abs levels including chairing adhoc coordination meetings to align activities of other partners and to find solutions to WASH issues identified
Leadership and technical support tasks:
- Carry out field / site assessments to determine WASH and Infrastructure needs and develop work plans, budget and procurement plan in line with needs
- Identify and prepare ToRs and contracts for technical consultants, as needed.
- Provide technical oversight and capacity building for the team members at field level.
- Monitor/supervise technical interventions to ensure they are implemented according to agreed standards and within budget / take appropriate remedial action if/when these standards are not being met.
- Ensure that the projects are implemented in accordance with DRC and donor policies and procedures.
- Prepare regular and ad hoc reports, as needed, and attend DRC regular meetings.
- Contribute to proposal writing and donor reporting.
To be successful in this role you must have:
- University degree in civil engineering.
- At least 2 years of direct experience in WASH and Shelter/Infrastructure
- Solid planning, budgeting, M&E and computer skills.
- Experience in managing teams in field locations
- Excellent social/diplomacy skills
- Self-motivated and able to work with a minimum of guidance.
- INGO experience preferred.
- Bachelor/Degree in civil engineering.
- Arabic - Fluent, reading and writing
- Ability to communicate and write clearly in English is required
Contract length: 1 Year Contract.
Workplace: Abs with frequent travel Al-Zuhra district.
Start date: 01/01/2020
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. This position will be placed at level (M-G).
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV in English. Apply online on our link below. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: Dec 11th, 2019. We expect to conduct interviews on Dec 17th, 2019.
For questions regarding the vacancy please contact email@example.com. If you are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo