Ended WASH Officer
Solidarités International seeks to recruit:
Location of position: Taiz City, Yemen
I. Presentation of organization
Solidarités International (SI) is a French humanitarian organization, which has been committed to provide aid in the event of conflicts and natural disasters. SI mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: drinking water, food, and shelter.
SI has opened a mission in Yemen since mid-September 2017. The mission is currently running various projects with an integrated FSL and WASH approach in Taiz governorate.
The position will be based, in Taiz City, Taiz, Yemen.
II. Responsibilities and Tasks
Goal / Purpose:
Under the supervision of the WaSH Team Leader (TL)/WaSH Deputy Programme Manager (DPM) and indirectly under the WaSH Programme Manager (PM), the WaSH Officer will lead and supervise the implementation of works, respecting deadlines and provide technical assistance and ensure minimum quality requirements are met.
They will comply with the core humanitarian principles of neutrality, impartiality, humanity, and independence as well as with the principles and mandate of Solidarités International at all times.
List of main tasks:
Setting up the activities /control and supervision
Implementation & Supervision of Water & Sanitation Activities
- Under the supervision of the WaSH TL, take part in logistical and administrative organization and the planning and preparation of activities
- Produce technical files (BoQs, Scope of work, Drawing, etc.) according to the identified needs, standards and available resources.
- Ensure the construction and/or the maintenance of construction works using Solidarités International tools.
- Supervise contractors and engage with communities, and ensure the best use of available resources
- Organize, plan and supervise community/institutional participation
- Anticipate any problems associated with the management of their activities and propose solutions to the WaSH TL/ DPM to avoid them
- Manage the supply of worksite materials as instructed by the WaSH TL/ DPM by collaborating with the logistics department
- Report to the WaSH TL/ DPM on the state of ‘field’ stock on his/her sites.
- Take part in the evaluation of the technical competence of contractors/plumbers
- Respect Solidarités administrative procedures before, during and after each work project
- Establish safety and security measures for each activity and ensure that these rules are respected by the workforce under his/ her supervision and by the population
- Provide training to all relevant beneficiaries (health facility workers, daily laborers, beneficiaries) to ensure the safe and appropriate use of facilities installed.
- Enough knowledge at medical waste management (sorting, transporting, storing, treatment and disposal), also knowledge at different types of incinerators
- Collaborate with local authorities and administration to ensure access and authorized works as requested by the WaSH TL/ DPM.
- Collaborate with other WaSH actor field staff as needed to facilitate the smooth implementation of activities as instructed by the WaSH TL/ DPM.
- Keep his/her monitoring tools and files archived in the Solidarités office, accessible to the WaSH TL/ DPM or PM
- Take part in the drafting of project progress reports under the supervision of the WaSH TL/ DPM
- Take part in seminars and workshops related to the carrying-out of activities and to project objectives
- Report to the WASH TL/ DPM regarding the development of activities and specific tasks that they been assigned, any problems encountered and the quality of relations with the beneficiaries
- Report back all information or problems linked to his/her activity, Solidarités programs or safety issues
- Listen to and coordinate with the local population and authorities in order to identify any needs, complaints, or major events which could affect the activities of Solidarités
- Analyze the humanitarian situation by taking into account protection issues/Do No Harm to the population
- Take part in lessons learned workshops and other program evaluation activities
- Take part in WaSH-specific inter-agency meetings as well as other bi-lateral meetings as instructed by the WaSH TL/ DPM
ORG CHART POSITION (reporting and functional relationships)
Line manager: WaSH Team Leader
Line report(s) on base:
III. Profile required
- Bachelor degree at civil engineering
- Civil engineering knowledge (particularly in water supply, pumping, boreholes)
- Knowledge about water projects, hydraulic pressures, pumps and engines.
- Must be willing to learn new skills and procedures
- Must be a good team player with good communication skills (Arabic essential, English is desirable)
- Ability to speak and write in English
- Knowledge of hygiene promotion
- Ability to conduct training sessions
- Knowledge of WaSH in health facilities
Please submit your application (CV, Cover Letter, Photocopies of diplomas, Certificates of employment etc.) to Solidarités International by email to email@example.com
NB: Title of the related position must be written in the email subject
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
Final date for applications: 4th of Dec, 2019