Ended Advisor (Hadhramaut)
Vacancy Announcement for National Personnel for the German International Cooperation / Strengthening the Resilience and Participation at local level in Yemen -SRPL- (PN. 19.1858.0-001.00) implemented by the GIZ Office Sana’a.
The wide range of services offered by the Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH are based on a wealth of regional and technical expertise and on tried and tested management know–how. We are a German Federal enterprise and offer workable, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes.
The project for strengthening the resilience and participation at local level in Yemen is a transitional aid project. The strategy of the transitional aid project aims to strengthen the resilience and improve the functioning and self-help capacity of local institutions and vulnerable groups affected by the protracted crisis in Yemen. The project comprises three closely linked components:
Component 1: " Strengthening the local capacities to provide basic services "
Component 2: " Improve the productive livelihoods of vulnerable households "
Component 3: " Promote peaceful coexistence geared towards local needs "
The first component aims to improve local institutional and individual capacity to implement participatory small-scale actions that will enable timely initial rehabilitation of social and productive grassroots infrastructure in different sectors. The project provides on-demand training to administrative staff, local community representatives and civil society actors to jointly plan and implement local development processes, considering the Do No Harm principle and the needs of the most vulnerable populations.
The second component aims to provide short- and medium-term income and employment to vulnerable households through employment programs and restoring the productive base in the agricultural sector. In labor-intensive rehabilitation projects as well as overarching activities, local workers are employed by CfW measures for at least three months. The measures are identified, decided and implemented in cooperation with representatives of local self-help structures and public administrations.
The third component aims to implement needs-based measures to promote peaceful coexistence at local level. It complements rehabilitation and income-generating measures that prepare for social reconstruction and build trust. With immediate effect the GIZ Office Sana’a invites applications from qualified Yemeni nationals for the following position:
- Position: Advisor (Hadhramaut)
- End of Contract: 30.04.2023
- Post Location: Hadhramaut
The Advisor (Hadhramaut) is responsible for
- supporting the Senior Advisors in the implementation of three components at governorate level in accordance with the order, project goals and activities agreed with the partner.
- coordinating the activities of the project in the target governorate.
- implementing the daily operational aspects of all issues related to three components.
- processing technical aspects and further developing the area of responsibility in accordance with the specified quality standards
- maintaining of a good flow of communication and information between all involved institutions and counterparts and GIZ
- innovation and knowledge management and communication of innovations to a broad target group
- assisting the programme initiatives to provide professional advisory services to cooperate with a broad range of target groups
The Advisor (Hadhramaut) performs the following tasks:
- advises partner institution(s) at governorate level on order clarification, identifying needs, developing concepts and strategies, and provides technical input
- participates in identifying needs for external support and advice, works on policy recommendations and develops a strategic approach
- works closely with the Senior Advisors on all matters related to planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the measures/interventions he/she is responsible for
- contribution to the general monitoring and reporting of the overall programme
- assists in the planning and concluding ‘feasibility studies’ for the measures he/she is responsible for at governorate level
- assist the Senior Advisors in identifying the relevant partner to plan and implement measures/interventions
- prepares project proposals for the interventions identified and submitting draft reports to the Senior Advisors
- monitors project progress and the activities of the project, reviews reports and documents on the progress of joint programmes, identifies bottlenecks and recommends alternative management options to the Senior Advisors
- deals with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues related to the project/programme’s area of activity at governorate level
- assists in the training and building capacities of the partners/target group at governorate level
- is responsible for seeing that the services provided by the measures are aligned with the partner’s needs
- ensures cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners and local authorities; carries out PR work and cooperates with local communities, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the project/programme environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships
- provides technical assistance to local and international experts
- communicates local interests and efforts, forwards these and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of the project/programme
- travels (abroad) in the region regularly, in accordance with project requirements
- compiles information and ensures knowledge transfer
- develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
- draws up reports and presentation documents, both in English and Arabic
- prepares appropriate input for various project/programme reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the programme manager and GIZ Head Office
- assists with research activities and studies on sectoral issues which benefit joint programmes.
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- masters (MA) or Masters (MSc.) or Bachelor in any of following field; social sciences, rural development, international development, good governance, agricultural sciences.
- 5-7 years’ professional experience, with at least 5 years’ professional experience in a comparable position.
- very good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- strong managerial and organisational competence
- willingness to travel to pilot areas regularly
- a proven track record in a managerial position
- fluent written and oral knowledge of English and Arabic languages; German language would be an asset
- willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
- motivation to work in a team and ability to work independently
- ability to drive 4-Wheel vehicle with valid driving license.
Please write the full subject line as indicated below, and send your application (cover letter) and CV in English and Arabic to the following:
E-mail address: email@example.com
Subject Line: Application for Advisor (Hadhramaut) Post
Deadline for receipt applications is: 9.12.2019
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Should you be invited for interview, you will be asked to present all certificates mentioned in your CV. You will also be asked to provide two relevant professional references to be contacted.