Ended Senior Nutrition Officer
Mercy Corps is a leading international non-governmental humanitarian agency with a global mission to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities.
Mercy Corps Yemen would like to announce that the following position is currently open for recruitment:
Position Title: Senior Nutrition Officer
Number of Vacancies: 1
Duty Station: Taiz, Al Turbah.
Position Category: Full-time AND Regular
Duration of Assignment: 4 months
Deadline: 4 Dec 2019
Political instability, civil insecurity, an intensified war, and localized conflicts have plunged the country into a serious humanitarian crisis, and put into further jeopardy an already precarious humanitarian situation of Yemen. Through the Emergency Response for IDPs, Returnees and Conflict Affected Communities in Yemen program, Mercy Corps has been providing effective and timely life-saving and livelihood-restoring assistance to the most vulnerable populations in Yemen since 2015. The program is now on its Year 3 continuously providing a comprehensive response, which includes WASH, livelihood restoration, Nutrition and health focusing on SAM cases (CMAM, IMCI).
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Senior Nutrition Officer will be responsible for the supervision and implementation of the nutrition and health component of the Emergency Response for IDPs, Returnees and Conflict-Affected Communities in Yemen program. The incumbent will be under the leadership of a Program coordinator. The Senior Nutrition Officer will lead the team in developing weekly and monthly implement plans for a community based nutrition program incorporating CMAM approaches. S/he will be responsible for effective coordination with relevant stakeholders ( MOPHP, Nutrition cluster, GHO/DHO). S/he will be responsible for identification, design, implementation, monitoring and reporting on nutrition section and handle administrative tasks that are assigned to him/her. S/he will also be the point of contact for MC in relation to attending monthly Nutrition Technical Working group meetings.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Facilitate the planning meetings with GHO and district health office, mobile clinic team and community health workers to develop work plans, budget and reporting forms /records
- Provide technical hands on training to the nutrition officer and assistance and guidance to the nutrition field teams and partners and whenever required deliver training sessions
- Ensure that data collection, storage and analysis meets the minimum reporting requirements of the program indicators
- Ensure adequate stocks are obtained and maintained in all OTP sites, coordinate with existing health and nutrition facilities, to ensure the best utilization of the resources and community outreach.
- Establish and maintain efficient referral linkages with other OTP units in the district and Stabilization Centers
- Manage the sector budget to ensure that spending is donor-compliant and program-effective.
- Ensure adequate monitoring mechanisms are in place to review impact of the sector and progress against implementation plans.
- Facilitate the set-up of the Complaint, Accountability and Reporting Mechanism (CARM) in all the target areas in coordination with the MEL department.
- Ensure that regular updates are submitted to the Program Coordinator and the Nutrition TWG
Coordination and Reporting:
- Deliver sound coordination and information sharing and accurate and timely reports are submitted to the relevant cluster.
- Serve as focal person in the field for Mercy Corps’ stakeholders, maintain respectful and constructive relations, and ensure regular meetings and ongoing coordination with local authorities/partners and community leaders.
- Act as focal point for inquiries on the sector’s response plans and operations for the 3rd Party Monitoring.
- Ensure timely submission of weekly, monthly and semi-annual donor reports regular and adequate and regular reporting against sector indicators to the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning team.
- Document lessons learned and success stories on the project.
- Attend nutrition cluster meetings with other partners
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Keep his/her supervisor, Security Focal Point and Area Director updated with regard to the security situation in the project implementation area and provide advice as to how to manage our presence in this environment.
- Maintain the highest standards of behavior when working with the project beneficiaries.
- Mercy Corps expects all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: This role directly supervises the Nutrition Officer
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO Program Coordinator
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH Other Program Teams, MEL, Operations, Finance
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor/Master's degree in health science or nutrition or medical doctor
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in project implementation preferably with an international organization, including experience in Community Management of Acute Malnutrition program and Community Therapeutic Care approach
- Excellent knowledge of National Protocols on nutrition
- Understanding the social, political and economic context of the work location including understanding of root causes of malnutrition
- Ability to collect, interpret and synthesize data collected from field teams including managing nutrition database
- Strong experience of working directly with local authorities and nutrition partners (health staff, community health workers)
- Demonstrated attention to detail, adherence to procedures, ability to meet deadlines as well as to work independently and cooperatively with team members
- Good knowledge of spoken and written English.
- Good reporting writing skill.
- Intermediate computer literacy.
- Strong organizational & interpersonal skills.
- Good judgment and strong adherence to MC policies
Ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. Demonstrate ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities. Demonstrate a high professional standard of work ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies. Have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments with an appropriate sense of humor and make effective written and verbal communications. He/She must be willing to travel to Mercy Corps project sites in rural locations on a regular basis.
Note: Females with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Please if you are interesting; click below link to apply for the post;