Ended Senior Operations Assistant (Shelter/NFI)
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position: Senior Operations Assistant (Shelter/NFI)
Organizational Unit: Shelter/NFI Unit
Duty Station: Yemen, Sana’a
IOM Classification: M 6
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) MPH Contract, 6 Months (Renewable)
SVN No. : CFCV2019/209
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: Tuesday 03, Dec 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates
Working under the overall supervision of the Senior Programmes Coordinator and the direct supervision of the Programme Manager (Shelter/NFI), the incumbent will support and contribute to the activities of the Shelter/NFI unit. In particular, she/he will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist the Shelter/NFI Programme Manager in planning and implementing shelter and NFI daily activities;
- Contribute to the development of the Shelter/NFI procurement plan in line with relevant sector guidelines and standard operating procedures; liaise with the Procurement and Logistics unit throughout the procurement process, and ensure that all items are in line with relevant technical standards;
- Assist in preparing contracts with NGO partners, and monitoring the implementation of their activities; follow up on payments to NGO partners when contracted works meet the appropriate level;
- Provide guidance and support on programmatic issues to NGO partners; prepare training materials and plan and organize capacity-building sessions:
- Monitor Shelter and NFI stock levels; ensure appropriate warehousing procedures are in place so that stocks are properly received, stored, and released;
- Produce daily and weekly progress reports, provide accurate data analysis and related updates; highlight areas of concern and make recommendations to the Programme Manager when relevant;
- Monitor the implementation of shelter and NFI activities; go on field visits as required to control implementation and provide technical support; bring to the attention of the supervisor operational issues and suggest corrective measures;
- Assist the Programme Manager in dealing with local authorities and other counterparts as required;
- Provide guidance and training to other staff in the unit.
- Perform any other duties as deemed necessary.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Disaster Management, Civil Engineering, Business Administration, Procurement and Logistics or a related field from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution with six years of relevant professional experience
- Experience in Shelter/NFI humanitarian programmes for internally displaced persons (IDPs), migrants and/or refugees;
- Experience working with implementing partners;
- Experience in coordinating with multiple units and ability to establish and maintain excellent working relations;
- Good command of both written and spoken English;
- Proficiency in Excel and Word; Knowledge of SAP an advantage.
Languages English and Arabic
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms.
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Female with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating position applied on subject line by Tuesday 03 Dec, 2019
In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, with a subject line CFCV2019/209 Sana’a, Senior Operations Assistant (Shelter/NFI) M6
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
“Only shortlisted candidates will be contracted”
Posting period: From 27. Nov.2019 to 03. Dec.2019