Ended Office Assistant (2)
Office Assistant– 2 positions
Job Posting: 21/Nov/2019
Closure Date: 05/Dec/2019, 10:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FNYAR
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: NPP (National Project Personnel)
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location: Yemen-Sana'A
Duration: 6 Months (Extendable)
Post Number: N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
FAO's office for Yemen is responsible for developing, promoting, overseeing and implementing agreed strategies for addressing countrywide food, agriculture and rural development priorities under Yemen. It develops and maintains relations with the relevant Ministries at country level. This position is based in FAO Representation in Sanaa, Yemen. The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
Under the general supervision of the FAO Representative and the direct supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative Assistant in Yemen, the incumbent shall provide support in admin tasks for the FAO Front Office which can involve some translation work.
Administrative tasks and support to translations from Arabic to English and vice versa.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Provide and coordinate communication, information, documentation, administrative and protocol support processes for the FAO Representation.
- Manage the calendars of the FAO Representative and Assistant FAO Representatives; schedule appointments; brief the supervisor/s on matters before meetings and missions.
- Receive, screen, file, distribute, draft, format, and monitor incoming and outgoing correspondence and documentation from and to the FAO Representative and the country office;
- Select and abstract pertinent material for supervisor’s review; identify complex or sensitive material for special treatment; review outgoing correspondence and documentation for correct format, grammar, spelling and conformance with FAO and country policies and procedures; attach necessary background information; maintain a follow-up system.
- Screen and place calls; respond to telephone, e-mail and personal enquiries; refer non-recurring matters and difficult issues to respective units.
- Draft and format reports, presentations, publications, and other documentation material for the FAOR and the country office.
- Provide assistance in the translation of all documents provided;
- Provide assistance in the translation of SOPs, COPs, Questionnaires, Checklists, and materials from English to Arabic and vice versa;
- Review existing draft translations of food legislation, SOPs, COPs, Checklist and provide final versions of the translations;
- Prepare informal translations.
- Maintain control of records and files; follow-up on deadlines to supervisors and officers for their action; update the office’s management information system including spreadsheets, files, databases; provide Registry with master files containing key documents.
- Undertake complex research from various sources; select relevant information and prepare briefs and summary notes in concise format.
- Take minutes at internal and/or official meetings.
- Perform other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Graduate Degree in English Language, International Relations, Business, Social Sciences or related areas.
- At least six (6) years of relevant experience of progressively responsible as assistant, secretarial, and/or clerical experience.
- Fluency in Arabic and English (oral and written).
- National of Yemen.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work
- Extent and relevance of experience in support admin office functions
- Familiarity with the work of humanitarian organizations and protocol
- IT Skills: Ability to effectively use standard office software, such as MS Office (Windows, Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Exchange) et al. Very good typing skills.
- Experience working with government institutions and knowledge of legislative procedures in Arabic;
- Ability to translate documents from English to Arabic and from Arabic to English;
- Demonstrated knowledge of technical terms related to agriculture, food safety, food quality control and food management;
- Excellent written and spoken language skills (both English and Arabic)..
- Ability to establish good working relationships and liaise with supervisor, staff members, counterparts, managers and (high ranking) officials from within and outside the Organization.
- High level of trustworthiness is required.
- Office Management Skills: Ability to organize work systematically, set priorities and meet deadlines. Ability to structure and convey information in an appropriate format, ensuring accuracy and consistency.
- Recognize sensitive and confidential material and handle it with a high level of discretion. Ability to communicate appropriately with high level officials and to professionally handle matters of protocol.
- Also Actively support new ideas to streamline working methods. Ability to carry out and manage a high number of diverse and complex assignments and to cope with an increased volume of work during peak periods.
- Work Relationships: As direct support of the FAO Representative and the Assistants FAO Representative, the incumbent is in frequent contact with many country office staff, with high level officials from government, FAO and UN, with visitors, project managers, consultants, experts and enquirers from within and outside the Organization.
- Interpersonal Communications and Teamwork Skills,
- Openness to work within a team of staff with mixed skills and different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Willingness to share information, tasks and ideas to ensure efficient teamwork and achievement of shared goals.
- Utmost tact, discretion and courtesy are essential personal attributes.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org