Ended Medical Assistant (MHU-Nurse/Midwife)
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position: MEDICAL ASSISTANT (MHU-Nurse/Midwife)
Organizational Unit: Migration Health
Duty Station: Yemen, Sana’a
IOM Classification: M 4
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) MPH Contract, 6 Months (Renewable)
SVN No.: CFCV2019/210
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: Tuesday 10, Dec 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Migration Health Programme Coordinator, and the direct supervision of the National Programme Officer, the incumbent is responsible for providing health services to migrants and IDPs and conflict affected people. He/she will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist in the provision of health services to target beneficiaries in the vicinity of the given health facility;
- Support the delivery of primary health care services to vulnerable migrants and IDPs and hospital referral for patients in need of specialized services, as required, including tracking of documents, filing receipts and other administrative support;
- Support the team leader with coordination of IOM health activities with the Sana’a hub team;
- Monitor the highest level of quality of health services at IOM/IOM supported health facilities is maintained, including but not limited to, effective infection prevention and control measures, effective prescription of medications and implementation of waste management controls.
- Support systematic data collection, compilation and reporting on all health activities;
- Assist in collection of beneficiary stories and service evaluations in coordination with the IOM Migration Health Unit (MHU);
- Undertake other related duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Nursing or Midwifery from an accredited academic institution with two years of continuous professional working experience preferably in migration or public health; An additional post graduate qualification is desirable; knowledge of structures and functions of national health systems, international health agencies, donors and organizations.
- License/qualification to practice nursing/midwifery in the country is mandatory;
- Minimum Four Years’ Experience (Two Years for University Degree Holders) in related area;
- Special training in obstetrics and gynaecology, paediatrics or infectious diseases an advantage;
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and direct staff and create team-oriented environment;
- Demonstrated ability in project proposals and reports writing;
- Strong level of analytical skills and computer literacy.
Languages English and Arabic
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Contributes to colleagues' learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
- Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Actively shares relevant information
- Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
- Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative
- Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Expands responsibilities while maintaining existing ones
- Persuades others to consider new ideas
- Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Leadership and Negotiation
- Convinces others to share resources
- Actively identifies opportunities for and promotes organizational change
- Presents goals as shared interests
- Articulates vision to motivate colleagues and follows through with commitments
- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Identifies ways for their staff to develop their abilities and careers
- Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Holds directly reporting managers accountable for providing fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
Planning and Organizing
- Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
- Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
- Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Adjusts priorities and plans to achieve goals
- Allocates appropriate times and resources for own work and that of team members
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Takes joint responsibility for team's work
- Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs
- Effectively applies knowledge of health issues in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level;
- Maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work.
Emergency and Crisis
Works effectively in high-pressure, rapidly changing environments;
- Makes correct decisions rapidly based on available information.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Female with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating position applied on subject line by Tuesday 10 Dec, 2019
In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, with a subject line
CFCV2019/210 Sana’a, MEDICAL ASSISTANT (MH-Nurse/Midwife) M4
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
“Only shortlisted candidates will be contracted”
Posting period:v From 27. Nov.2019 to 10. Dec.2019