Nutrition & Hygiene Promotion Officer
Mercy Corps is a leading international non-governmental humanitarian agency with a global mission to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities.
Mercy Corps Yemen would like to announce that the following position is currently open for recruitment:
Position Title: Nutrition & Hygiene Promotion Officer
Number of Vacancies: 1
Duty Station: Al Mahwit, Yemen
Position Category: Full-time AND Regular
Duration of Assignment: 5 Months
Deadline: 7 Dec 2019
Yemen Emergency Food Assistance Program (YEFA) is a food assistance intervention jointly implemented by Mercy Corps, CARE and ACTED to serve the urgent food needs of conflict-affected households in Yemen, and contribute to improved health and malnutrition reduction through promotion of sound hygiene, sanitation and nutrition practices. Geographically, the program is implemented in Sana’a, Al Mahwit, Taiz, Lahj and Al Dhale’e governorates of Yemen. The YEFA program interventions are currently being implemented in eight districts, in the five governorates listed above. Mercy Corps and partners currently are supporting over 10,000 vulnerable households with emergency food assistance, hygiene, sanitation and nutrition messages.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
S/he reports to the Food Security Program Manager, Sana’a&Mahwit, working closely to develop plans that ensure smooth implementation of nutrition and hygiene awareness raising activities in Manakha and Bani Saad districts and, integrated to the food security programming. S/he will be responsible for quality implementation according to national and global hygiene and nutrition messages and standards. S/he will ensure high quality implementation of basic hygiene and nutrition activities documentation follow Mercy Corps’ policies and procedures. S/he will supervise Nutrition and hygiene-related activities, implemented by Community Health Volunteers (CHVs) and report on timelines, progress, and flag issues or potential delays, prepared to initiate mitigation measures to ensure the program implementation meets deadlines. S/he will select, train and provide technical oversight to CHVs within Manakha and Bani Saad districts. S/he supports the overall Food Security team in strategic contingency planning ahead of anticipated humanitarian response. This is a field based position and will require at least 50% of time in the field.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Planning and Implementation:
- Implement all tasks that facilitate achievement of program deliverables.
- Select the CHVs who will participate on accomplishing the objective of nutrition and hygiene promotion under the YEFA program
- Provide technical guidance on national and international standards (e.g., SPHERE) and put practical hands- on training to Community Health Volunteers.
- Coordinate for any needed trainings on nutrition and hygiene promotion and design any relevant materials
- Lead the design and implementation of all Nutrition and Hygiene awareness activities including the awareness of during food assistance distribution and public campaigns, including context specific messaging and including activities for international days
- Develop work plans for all nutrition and hygiene related activities for districts, sub districts and village levels.
- Develop budgets required to facilitate the implementation of nutrition and hygiene promotion activities.
- Coordinate with the MEL Department to conduct Knowledge, Attitude, and Practice surveys.
- Participate in conducting any needs assessments related to nutrition and hygiene.
- Collect and share with the Food Security Program Manager any relevant external reports regarding humanitarian needs in Yemen.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties according to work demands and as assigned by direct supervisor
Coordination and Reporting:
- Document implementation of all hygiene related activities and track progress towards program targets, keeping all team members apprised of achievements, delays, and issues.
- Collect the field reports prepared by CHVs, review the data collected, analysis and report the results.
- Write reports on all program activities that are implemented under the hygiene and nutrition component.
- Support, guide and have a close supervision and monitoring on CHVs
- Support the development and maintenance of strong communication and relationships with local authorities and the local community.
- Work closely with the Community Health Volunteers to ensure internal weekly and monthly reports are submitted on time and are of an acceptable standard.
- Coordinate closely with Ops, finance, HR to ensure proper logistics, administration, human resources of the program are conducted within MC policy and with the maximum benefit to the program.
- Participate in Nutrition sub-cluster coordination meetings with other partners and report back on all discussions concerning Nutrition and hygiene related matters
Staff Management and leadership
- Lead meetings, reviewing progress and planning for his/her sub districts with CHVs and other partners
- Provide encouragement, constructive feedback, support, coaching, as well as conducting performance appraisals to the CHVs and other staff.
- Provide guidance to staff on all issues related to program implementation;
- Initiate the procurement processes for Nutrition and Hygiene training materials, maintenance materials, and hygiene kits for distribution, based on Nutrition and WASH sector recommendations and while ensuring compliance with policies and procedures.
- Based on project documents, develop monthly and or quarterly procurement plan
- Regular communication with Operations department concerning procurement of supplies.
- Maintain strong understanding of the security, political, cultural, and overall contextual situation in areas of program implementation and potential program expansion, specifically regarding accessibility, movements of populations and areas of settlement in the district.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Work closely with the country security focal point to analyse security situations and take appropriate measures before going to the field and while in the field.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
Hygiene and Nutrition Officer is expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Support and provide direct supervision to Community Health Volunteers
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO Food Security Program Manager, Sana’a, and Mahwit
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH Field assistants, Field Officers, Field Program Manager, Program Director, Ops, Finance and HR, Liaison, and Security Departments
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's in social sciences, Public health or related degree.
- Preferred at least three-year professional experience in implementing Emergency Response Nutrition or WASH programs in a humanitarian setting.
- Excellent organizational skills and knowledge of filing systems for hard copy and digital files.
- Strong report writing skills in Arabic and English.
- Excellent spoken and written English and Arabic.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to achieve cooperation and agreement amongst diverse groups with competing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, and tasks efficiently and with a calm attitude.
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail.
- Physically able to spend the long periods of time in the field in harsh conditions.
- Ability to think independently and problem solve, able to suggest solutions and mitigations with minimal guidance.
- Honest and committed to compliance with all policies and procedures in all aspects of work.
- Good strategic thinking and planning skills with eagerness for innovation.
Successful candidates should meet the minimum Education and Experience requirements in the Knowledge and Experience section. S/he must be self- motivated, creative, tolerant, and able to work in difficult, stressful environments and follow Mercy Corps procedures. S/he must be ready and willing to travel to the field locations. S/he must respect diversity and gender equality at the workplace. The successful candidate will be conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment. She/he will have the ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks and a willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people. They will have the ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel. Must have strong English skills, both oral and written.
Note: Females with the minimum requirements are encouraged to apply.
Please if you are interested; click on below link to apply for the post;