Ended WASH Engineer
Job Title: WASH Engineer
Department: Program Department
Reports To: Program Manager
Location: Aden, Yemen (with regular travel to project site in Lahj and Aldha’ea)
Building upon our success in implementing (CREATE) program, Global Communities (GC) has designed the 18-month, Integrated Modalities to Promote Agricultural, Cash-for-Work, and Training in Yemen (IMPACT Yemen) program to address the urgent multi-sector humanitarian needs of 74,908 unique vulnerable, conflict-affected Yemenis in Sana’a, Ibb, Taiz, Dhamar, Aden, Lahj, and Dhale governorates. IMPACT will achieve this by:
Objective 1: Improved household food security and livelihoods by restocking critical agricultural inputs including seeds, tools, inputs for composting, fodder and livestock;
Objective 2: Increased household income for vulnerable households through market-driven vocational training, cash-for-work opportunities that simultaneously rebuild critical community infrastructure, and support to asset building groups.
Objective 3: Improved access to safe water supplies, sanitation facilities, and improved hygiene practices in targeted communities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The WASH Engineer Officer will participate in the design, manage and supervise community WASH projects. Based in Aden, this position is expected to travel to project sites in different districts and governorates to work with governorate representatives on the implementation and training of water-related rehabilitation/CFW activities. The duties are specified in particular as follows:
- Participate in a field-level needs assessment/survey/data collection of proposed community WASH projects in coordination with ERMS and Agriculture teams; develop a comprehensive bill of quantities (BOQ); prepare a detailed report of assessment/survey findings.
- Participate in the implementation oversight of all water-related rehabilitation activities.
- Prepare assessment for the infrastructure that needs rehabilitation.
- Ensure that rehabilitation and community projects activities are implemented in adherence to Global Communities, USAID and/or other recognized international construction quality, environmental mitigation, and safety standards.
- Ensure quality and integrity of implementation, including adherence to technical guidelines, administrative systems, and established deadlines.
- Prepare required progress/weekly reports for the program manager
- In collaboration with relevant program implementation staff, prepare, oversee, and update the work plan for projects
- Keep soft and hard documents related to all activities.
- Coordinate with the local authorities and local authorities project sites
- Coordinate and attend workshops for community volunteer committees and attend cluster meetings.
- Due to the nature of the program’s activities, the above-mentioned tasks are indicative only and are subject to change. Others/additional tasks may be delegated to meet programmatic objectives.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
A university degree preferably in engineering (or any other related fields such as Civil, Architecture, Geological, and Environmental Engineering) is required and 1 - 2 years of relevant professional experience in a similar setting and capacity is required.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills and teamwork-oriented.
- Very good in written and verbal English and Arabic is required.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and organization skills.
- Excellent knowledge of working in community projects, such as solar pumping, irrigation, etc..
- Excellent knowledge of working in USAID OFDA grants is a must
- Proficient in standard Microsoft Office package (Word, Excel, Outlook) and other engineering software.
- Ability to travel as required within program sites.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Sense of neutrality and ability to work across Yemen, in cooperation with all parties to the conflict.
- Previous experience in field offices is a plus.
From December 2019 until March 31, 2020, with the possibility of extension.
- Application should consist of detailed resume or CV. Resume or CV should include the applicant’s detailed work and Educational history background.
- Applications should be submitted to https://podio.com/webforms/21463955/1491567
- Applications submitted after 8 December 2019 will not be considered. Only short listed candidates will be contacted