Job Title: Project Officer
Location: Preferred Aden, Flexible in Taiz, Marib or Hadramouth with regular travel to project locations
Reporting to: Project Manager (Aden, Yemen)
Management responsibility (if applicable) N/A
Type of position: National Position
Salary range: Competitive INGO Salary
Contract terms and hours Fixed term until Dec 2020 with possibility of extension based in funding availability. Working hours 37.5h a week
Saferworld is an independent non-governmental organisation that works to prevent violent conflict and build safer lives. We work with civil society, governments and international organisations to encourage and support effective policies and practices through advocacy, research and policy development, and through supporting the actions of others.
About Saferworld in Yemen
Saferworld has been working on conflict prevention issues with Yemeni civil society organisations since 2010. With partners, we support women, youth and community groups in their efforts to respond to the impact of the war. Together, we identify and address safety needs. Our work in Yemen is currently funded by the European Commission and the Netherlands and UK governments.
In 2018 Saferworld is managing a consortium of 3 national and international partners to implement a strategic new programme focused on supporting civil society and local authorities in Yemen. This 3-year programme will strengthen the capacity of civil society and local councils in target communities, including marginalised and harder to-reach groups, such as women and rural CSOs, to contribute to effective governance, and improved service delivery in target governorates in Yemen. It will specifically target youth as engaged citizens and support youth livelihoods through entrepreneurship support.
Saferworld is recruiting a Project Officer to support the programme, with experience in civil society capacity building to support this project.
The Project Officer will focus on the strengthening of CSOs component of the programme. The role is in a small office and a flexible teamwork approach will be required.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Assist in delivery of the programme objectives and activities.
- Liaise regularly with CSOs and provide ongoing support regarding their programme activities.
- Support all capacity building activities of partner CSOs.
- Support in facilitation and organising logistics of events (training, learning and planning workshops and seminars).
- Any other tasks as required by line manager.
Assist in management of project finances and administration.
- Assist in the preparation of financial estimates for planned activities, and in monitoring of project spending.
- Assist with drafting Terms of Reference for local consultants and MoUs for local partners.
- Maintain accurate project records, including maintaining electronic and hard copy filing systems, and support with general administrative tasks.
- Together with the team, contribute to the monitoring of risks to the safety of the programmes and staff.
Monitoring and evaluation
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding of the context in project locations.
- Help to monitor the impact of Saferworld’s work in Yemen.
- Contribute to regular review meetings with partner organisations and support them to produce high quality activity reports.
- Assist with staff and donor monitoring visits and evaluations.
- Take part in the Yemen team’s internal review meetings, contributing outcomes and identifying and writing ‘stories of change’.
- Draft internal and external activity and narrative reports as required.
Build stakeholder networks and assist with advocacy and communications.
- Assist in building civil society networks and develop relationships with government, media, the international community and other key stakeholders.
- Maintain and regularly update a list of project contacts and create mailing lists.
- Contribute to regular internal and external communications, such as drafting content for the website, newsletters, social media or supporting production of videos/podcasts.
Contribute to wider Saferworld Yemen strategy and programme development.
- Support other Yemen and London-based staff, contribute to the implementation of the Yemen country strategy and the development of annual strategic objectives.
- Participate in meetings, seminars and other events as required
Key working relationships
The post holder will be expected to:
- Develop strong relationships with colleagues in Saferworld Yemen (based in Aden) and MENA team in London
- Develop strong relationships with partners in Yemen.
Knowledge, qualifications and experience
- Relevant university degree.
- A good understanding of civil society in Yemen, including key political, social and economic issues.
- A good understanding of gender mainstreaming, conflict sensitivity and protection issues.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working in international development, community programming, local governance, civil society and/or youth or women’s empowerment.
- Experience in project implementation, including monitoring and evaluation.
- Ability to work on his/her own, with proven track record of working effectively as part of a team
- Experience in logistical arrangements including preparing events budgets.
Skills and abilities
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic.
- Good communication skills, written and oral;
- A positive problem-solving approach;
- Enthusiasm to learn and apply new skills;
- Good interpersonal communication and team-working skills;
- Ability to work under pressure
- Commitment to and compliance with Saferworld’s safeguarding principles
- Commitment to respect and value equality and diversity, and understanding of how this applies to own area of work
- Commitment to own continuing personal and professional development
- Commitment to the vision, mission and values of Saferworld
- Flexibility and adaptability
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Type of position: This is a national position.
Probation: There will be a probationary period of 3 months
Holidays: There are 30 days leave a year (Jan-Dec) in addition to Yemen public holidays
Salary range: A competitive INGO salary will be offered
Hours: Standard working week is 37.5 hours
Travel: Field visits and frequent travel to communities in the project areas, security conditions permitting, and occasional international travel for training and regional planning meetings
To apply: Download and complete an application form at www.saferworld.org.uk/jobs/jobs and send to
firstname.lastname@example.org (Ref: YPOEC)
Please do rename the application to reflect the Job Reference and your first and last name ex:- YPOEC Salah Ahmed
Deadline for applications: 30th of December 2019
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please do not send your CV - we will only consider completed application forms