Ended Field Manager
Job Title: Field Manager
Band/ Level / Grade: 7B
Department: Operations/Field Management
Location: Yemen | Lawder, Abyan
Overtime Eligible: (per local law) n/a
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and in 22 US cities, the IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC Yemen Country program has been established in 2012, and currently is implementing integrated Health, Nutrition, Environmental Health (WASH), Economic Recovery and Development, Women Protection and Empowerment and Education programming in eight governorates. The IRC Yemen Country Program operates with its Country Office in Sana’a and its main Field Office in Aden. Other subfield offices include Abyan, Hodeida and Al Dhale, with the Al Dhale office covering Lahaj, and the Abyan office covering activities in Shabwa.
The Field Manager is in charge of supporting the programs and operations in the sub-field office of Abyan and Shabwah. Reporting to the Field coordinator, the incumbent shall be representing IRC with government line ministries, counterparts, local communities and stakeholders as well as taking part and representing IRC in other forums, such as OCHA coordination meetings. This position is a member on the Senior Management Team and participates in all meetings and decision-making forums within IRC in line with his/her Job Description.
Office and Operations Management
- Streamline the operational support of the Abyan sub field Office and ensure that both operations and program staff meet expectations in executing their tasks.
- Work in collaboration with Field Coordinator, DDO and heads of Supply Chain, Humanitarian Access, HR and finance departments to ensure that the sub field office is adequately operating and provide expected level of support to program implementation.
- Coordinate with Finance, Admin and program departments to ensure integrated internal controls, timely payment of vendors and full, auditable support documentation.
- Continuously monitor security developments in Abyan and Shabwah governorates to ensure security and safety of IRC staff, programs and assets. Manage field-level security incidents in close cooperation with the Humanitarian Access Coordinator.
- Ensure that all IRC premises meet standards and recommend improvements, where necessary.
- Routinely communicate, coordinate and plan with the respective requesting staff/programs regarding the order and delivery of supplies.
- Ensure that IRC has adequate storage capacity for program supplies.
- Oversee vehicles operations and usage for the smooth and safe running of the programs.
- Lead on new facility identification and selection, when required. Manage initial set-up, if applicable.
- In consultation with the IT officer and IT manager, ensure that Abyan sub-field office is up to IRC standards and recommend improvements, where necessary.
- Maintain office records and disseminate information and correspondence from capital offices vice-versa.
- Provide consistent and constructive support to all program departments in Abyan and Shabwah governorate.
- Follow up with the sub field office programs to ensure that quality programming is carried out and IRC and donor expectation are met.
- Perform regular program site visits to ensure required progress and quality in implementation of activities.
- Communicate and in coordination with the capital-based managers address any issues affecting quality or timeline of program activities.
- Closely follow up on the work of the project managers and officers to ensure that they are well informed of the activities and the funds they are responsible for.
- Promote IRC’s image and work ensuring IRC activities are clearly marked by IRC and donor logos, where applicable.
- Represent IRC at all forums and at the inter-cluster coordination meetings chaired by UN OCHA.
- Represent IRC in front of governmental authorities and local communities. Convey information on IRC program activities and criteria as well pass community needs and requests to program coordinators.
- Coordinate, support and oversee work of the IRC’a local partner(s).
- Establish and promote ethical, professional working relationships among staff and between staff and communities.
- Preserve close, open and professional relationships with all staff.
- Work towards strengthening staff’s team spirit by demonstrating good leadership.
- Address any issues or misunderstandings which arise within the framework and spirit of IRC policies and rules of professional conduct.
- Support staff in implementation of personnel policies including performance evaluation, staff development, and disciplinary measures.
- Ensure attendance and leave management of all staff assigned to Abyan sub-field office in close coordination with their capital-based managers.
- Ensure adherence to IRC policies and procedures for all operations departments, including Supply chain, Humanitarian Access, HR, finance and IT.
- Ensure health, safety and security protocols are followed at all times, and take timely corrective actions as required and in consultation with the Field Coordinator and SMT.
- Ensure that IRC SOPs and contingency plans are updated and respective and enforce the same in the Abyan sub-field office and throughout IRC implementation areas.
- Promptly inform Field Coordinator of any areas of concern for potential or suspected violations of policies and procedures.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Field Coordinator
Position directly supervises: SC Officer, Humanitarian Access Officer, Finance/Admin Assistant. This position will also provide day-to-day administrative supervision for the most senior program staff from each sector.
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Supply Chain, HR & Administration, Program staff, Finance, Grants, Field support staff.
External: UN agencies, partner organization, local governance units, local communities
- The incumbent should be a graduate from an accredited university in Yemen or abroad with a degree in social studies, political science, business administration or equivalent.
- Demonstrated good program and administrative management skills, as well people management skills.
- Minimum three years professional experience at managerial level.
- Good understanding of budgets and can manage resources as required.
- INGO experience is highly desired.
Soft Skills and Competencies:
- Customer & client centered and service-oriented mind & attitude.
- Energetic, with good networking, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to handle pressure.
- Detail-oriented and professional patience.
Language Skills: Fluency in English and Arabic to communicate clearly and effectively.
Computer Skill: MS Office – Very good MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook.
Working Environment: Based in Lawder, Abyan, with some travel to Aden and Shabwah.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, marital status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Qualified and Interested individuals are required to apply for this position via the IRC Career at the following link:
Deadline for Applying: December 13, 2019.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.