Ended Livestock Officer
Location of position: Al-Turbah, Yemen
I. Presentation of organization
Solidarités International (SI) is a French humanitarian organization, which has been committed to provide aid in the event of conflicts and natural disasters. SI mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: drinking water, food and shelter.
SI has opened a mission in Yemen since mid-September 2017. The mission is currently running two emergency projects with an integrated FSL (Agricultural and Cash) and WASH approach mostly in Lahj and Taiz governorates.
The position will be based, in Al Turbah Town, Taiz, Yemen.
under the direct supervision of the Livestock team leader, the livestock officer, implement and monitor the livestock distribution-related activities, following Solidarities International technical recommendations, procedures (including safety procedures), schedules and deadlines.
Setting up the activities /control and supervision
- Under the supervision of the team leader, livestock officer is in charge to take part on the joint health and breed inspection to validate the following characteristics of selected goats: shape, weight, age, health status and reproductive status;
- The livestock officer supports the development of livestock distribution activities as defined in the proposal (support logistic team in terms of procuring healthy and productive goats, monitor the health‘s livestock (goats are healthy, productive, and free of epizootics during quarantine);
- Under the supervision the team leader He/she will monitor the vaccination (PPR and goat pox) and anthelminthic treatment of distributed animals before being handed over to beneficiaries, during a minimum of 14 days in quarantine ;
- The livestock officer will support the team leader to conduct a specific market assessment for goats of local Taizz breeds, (age 1 to 2, proven reproductive capacities, male and female) and conduct continuous market monitoring during the dry season to make sure the local procurement or livestock fairs will not affect the availability and prices of animals on local markets;
- During the quarantine, under the supervision of the team leader, the livestock officer is in charge of managing the sanitation and hygienic state of the quarantine warehouse and the fodder and water supplied.
- Under the supervision of the team leader observe animals (goat) for signs of illness, injury, or unusual behaviour; notifying veterinarians or managers as warranted.
- Monitor animal care and transfer activities to ensure work is done correctly;
- Train daily workers in animal care procedures and safety precautions.
- Facilitate distribution in the field, and fill the documents needed;
- Under the responsibility of the team leader, take part in logistical and administrative organization, planning, and preparation of livestock distributions.
- Implement livestock distribution (goat, fodder and Concentrate kit) using Solidarités International tools, in particular:
- Take part in the census and registration of beneficiaries;
- Implement site distribution
- Train daily workers
- Delegate daily worker site tasks according to the team Leader's instructions
- Supervise distribution to beneficiaries
- Ensure that each registered, identified beneficiary has benefited from goat distributions;
- After distribution has taken place, calculate and confirm the number of households which benefited and the quantity of goods distributed
- Gather and replace materials used during distribution
- Respect Solidarités International's administrative procedures before, during, and after distribution
- Keep monitoring tools and files archived at the Solidarités International office, ensuring their availability to his/her team leader
- Archive distribution cards/censuses and lists of beneficiaries
- Under the supervision of the team leader, participate in the drafting of distribution reports
- Pass on any information regarding the distribution process;
- Extract and pass on distribution statistics to the team leader and/or program manager
- Take part in seminars and training workshops relating to livestock distribution tasks and to goal attainment;
- Report to the team leader on the progress of activities and specific tasks assigned, problems encountered, the quality of relations with beneficiaries
- Pass on any information or problems concerning his/her task, Solidarités International programs, or safety aspects;
- Analyze the humanitarian situation, taking protection problems into consideration/Do no Harm to the population;
- Collaborate with local administration and authorities;
ORG CHART POSITION (reporting and functional relationships)
Line manager: Livestock Team leader
Line report(s) on base:
III. Profile required
- Diploma in Veterinary field or at least animal science
- At least 1 year experience in similar position (NGO/Private or Public sector) - Humanitarian experience is a plus;
- Prior experience of team management
- Experience in representation and coordination with humanitarian and governmental stakeholders
- Study feed, weight, health, genetic, age, or milk production records in order to determine feed formulas and rations and breeding schedules;
- To be skilled in vaccination, treatment of animal injuries;
- Experience in community mobilization
- Good knowledge and understanding of the local humanitarian and security context
- Proactive and motivated
- Willing to move in the country for extended periods of time
- Fluent in English and Arabic
- Good knowledge in AL-Turbah District
- Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Please submit your application (CV, Cover Letter, Photocopies of diplomas, Certificates of employment etc.) to Solidarités International by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention the respective position in the email subject. Please note that the vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
Final date for applications: 14th of December 2019