Ended WASH Engineer
ACTED Organization Summary:
Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential.
ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential. ACTED is active in 37 countries and implements more than 450 projects a year reaching over 8 million beneficiaries with 400 international staff and 4,300 national staff.
ACTED has been present in Yemen since early 2012 and has been anchored to the governorates of Hodeidah, Raymah, Ibb, Aden-Dhalee, Saadah and Al Jawf.
Through its comprehensive programming ACTED has been covering the full continuum of emergency, rehabilitation and development in Yemen. Emergency activities have focused in the sectors of Agriculture & Food Security (e.g. distribution of crop seeds, and livestock), Economic Recovery and Market Systems (e.g. income-generating activities such as cash for work), and WASH (e.g. rehabilitation of water supply facilities, hygiene promotion). ACTED’s food security activities include distribution of food vouchers, which are a key component of ACTED’s interventions in the country.
ACTED Organization is pleased to announce the below job vacancy with the following details:
Position: WASH Engineer
Location: Aldhalee with field visits to Lahj
Contract Type: Fixed term
Contract Duration: 6 months, renewable
- The WASH Engineer position will be based in ALDhale’e base, with day to day visits and monitoring the activities in Lahj governorate.
- Staff supervision and coordination (workers, volunteers, food/cash for workers) etc.
- Liaise with contractors and suppliers in cooperation with logistics team.
- To ensure that sustainable construction systems are set in place for longer term operations and maintenance facilities or assets, including necessary training.
- Ensure cross-program integration, learning, sharing and adoption of best practices for other ACTED regional programs.
- Ensure the reliability and accuracy of all construction project related documentations (BoQs, Construction designs, Construction work plans, etc.).
- Assessment, survey and implementation of all projects as evaluation and monitoring of rehabilitation and construction work in related community projects in the community base.
- Site visits and monitoring and give technical advice to the field team and communities.
- Ensure the implementation of the projects according to the approved timeline and plans.
- Train and manage daily workers, including number of workers according to the budget
- In coordination with the selected village beneficiaries and communities, design the related construction systems and ensure technical design adapted to the village’s background or situation.
- Coordinate closely with village leaders, committees and other stakeholders for smooth running for construction sites.
- Work closely with the team to ensure proper technical supervision of ACTED programs in the area of implementation.
- Provide written and oral reports with explanations description of the process, monitoring outcomes on the field.
- Handing over/ the final completion report for each assets’ creation and filling documents.
- Complete and sign work Completion Certificates, verifying that works have been completed to specifications contained in BoQs and contracts.
- Problem solving activities related to a defined area, such as a limited geographical area or limited programme sectional area using professional or technical knowledge.
- Keep and share to line manages all the beneficiaries related records (cash grant, payments, milestones and physical progress) within the target locations.
- To ensure that all work is carried out in a way that is sensitive to community needs and gender issues. To promote the full and equal participation of women in all aspects of the work.
- Facilitating Monitoring and Evaluation exercises in cooperation with the AME team.
- Any other assignment as may be required by the Line manager
LEADERSHIP AND TECHNICAL SUPPORT TASKS:
- Identify and prepare TORs and contracts for technical consultant, as needed.
- Provide technical support and capacity building for the team members at field level.
- Follow-up projects budget, including monthly review of expenditures, ensuring that funds are used for approval purposes and in accordance with ACTED requirements.
- Monitor/supervise technical interventions to ensure they are implemented according to agreed standards and within budget/ take appropriate remedial action if/when these standards are not being met.
- Ensure that projects are implemented in accordance with ACTED and donor policies and procedures.
- Prepare regular and ad hoc reports, as needs, and attend ACTED regular meetings.
- Ensure staff compliance with ACTED’s Code of Conduct and humanitarian accountability requirements.
- Liaise regularly with partners ACTED in sub-cluster IF REQUESTED and partner’s meetings.
- Contribute to proposal writing and donor reporting.
Job Requirement (Qualification and Experience)
- A university degree in engineering BSc in Civil, Hydraulic or Mechanical
- Minimum 3-year experience in a position with similar responsibilities, in technical project implementation and commissioning, construction site and contractors management;
- Advanced computer skills (AutoCAD, EPANET (preferable), Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Good analytical skills, process design skills and project planning and management skills
- Strong technical expertise in water quality testing, chlorination and cholera risk management, the employee should be able to access and work in Al-Dhalee governorate, and willing to travel to any governorate on occasion if necessary.
- Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity (esp. gender and ethnicity) is required
- Excellent interpersonal skills required, as well as the ability to communicate clearly and efficiently with a variety of audiences (e.g. beneficiaries, community committees, and other team members)
- Leadership and organizational skills are required
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and responsibilities, work efficiently under pressure and in changing circumstances
- Fluency in Arabic and strong English skills required
- Understanding of the principles of non-governmental organizations is an asset.
- Qualified candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to send an application comprising a detailed CV and a cover letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PLEASE state in the subject line of the e-mail: WASH Engineer and rename your CV as: First & Last name+ WASH Engineer
- The closing date for applications is Sunday, 19 January 2020.
- Candidates from Aldhalee governorate are strongly encouraged to apply.
Due to the urgency of this appointment, interviews would be on a rolling basis and candidates may be identified before the closing date
Contacting any ACTED staff member other than the contact details listed in regard to this job will result in disqualification