TITLE: LOGISTIC MANAGER
MOKHA - YEMEN
Handicap International is an independent and impartial international aid organisation working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. Working alongside persons with disabilities and other vulnerable groups, our action and testimony are focused on responding to their essential needs, improving their living conditions and promoting respect for their dignity and their fundamental rights.
Handicap International is a not-for-profit organisation with no religious or political affiliation. It operates as a federation made up of a network of associations that provide it with human and financial resources, manage its projects and implement its actions and social mission. For more details on the association: http://www.handicap-international.fr/en/s/index.html
GLOBAL OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
The Logistics manager will be based in Mokha under the line management of Field Coordinator (or the Logistics Manager Support). He/She will work closely with the Logistics team to establish a new field office in Mokha as well as a functioning logistics department ensuring that process and procedure is in line with HI and donor policies (Procurement, Stock management, Fleet management, Equipment follow up and general logistics). The Logistics Manager will manage a team and have overall responsibility including
- Being the focal point for all logistical aspects in Mokha;
- Coordinating closely with the Logistics department in Aden and where needed the Logistics Coordinator
- Ensuring the respect of HI procedures, such as: Fleet management, Procurement , transport and stock management, Premises management, IT, Equipment follow up;
- Providing logistics support and advice to project staff to ensure smooth project implementation,
- Ensuring the management of support budget (forecast, follow-up & reporting)
- Ensuring the HR Management of logistics team (bilateral meeting, training, capacity building, appraisals)
- Ensure that HI safety rules are respected
Line manager: Field Coordinator or Logistics Manager Support
Technical Line Manager: Logistics Coordinator
Supervision: Logistics assistant, Storekeeper, Maintenance Agent, Drivers
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS DESCRIPTION
GENERAL LOGISTIC SERVICES
- Ensure proper implementation of HI Logistics procedures, taking into consideration donor guidelines,
- Provide regular updates and ensure good communication of procedures to all teams in Mokha
- Maintain a regular audit on the base (procurement files, fleet management, equipment follow-up…)
Premises (Office / Guesthouses / Warehouses/ workshop management)
- Work closely with the Field Coordinator, establish a premise for HI’s operations in Mokha that takes into consideration safety and security aspects that meets HI’s minimum standards
- Have oversight and ensure timely construction/rehabilitation work adheres to deadlines and is completed with quality
- Ensure regular maintenance and overall functioning of the premises in Mokha
Equipment, Furniture and Office Stock
- Be innovative in office/guesthouse layout to ensure a functional office/guest house, according to HI regulations
- Responsible for the proper follow up of the equipment according to HI procedures (TSE, lending certificates, …)
- Responsible for the safety and security and maintenance of the equipment
- Ensure inventories of all equipment, furniture, office stock is maintained regularly
Communication and IT management
- Maintain and ensure that all communication/IT equipment is in good functioning order and accounted for
- Supervise and provide regular support to the national logistic staff in terms for follow-up of communication and IT management (maintenance, set up, …).
Fleet, Transport & Movements
- Ensure fleet management adheres to HI procedures (log book, monthly driver follow up, fuel, vehicle maintenance)
- Ensure goods transportation according to the need and in line with HI procedures
- Overall responsibility of drivers to ensure safe driving practices are maintained, in line with HI standards
SUPPLY CHAIN AND PROCUREMENT MANAGEMENT
- Ensure the respect of HI procedures and donors requirements for all purchases done (adapted procurement procedure, respect of threshold)
- Ensure timely implementation of procurement plan across the Base coordinating as required with the Budget holder, Technical advisor, Administration and ensuring proper procurement procedures are adhered to
- Ensure efficiency of the supply chain without any delay in delivery (ad hoc purchase, frame contracts)
- Develop good knowledge of local market (prices lists, suppliers lists, relationships with supplier)
- Responsible for the good implementation of Purchases follow-up (TSA, regular communication with requesting department)
- Manage customs clearance if required by logistics coordination office.
Stocks Management (if needed, in accordance to the future activities)
- Ensure the respect of HI procedures and donors requirements for the stock management. (Shipment documentations, Stock report, inventory, reconciliation…)
- Ensure quality stock management in coordination with the program teams
- Supervise and provide regular support to the supply officer for stock management and follow-up
- Maintain regular reconciliation, coordinating with Operations teams and report to Logistics department-Aden
- Ensure regular, timely and proper archiving of all logistics and procurement documentation as per HI standards (eg. purchase folders, tender documents, etc.)
Finance and budget management
- As requested, support proposal development related to ensuring logistic needs are adequately budgeted
- Ensure sound financial management of relevant budget lines, working closely with relevant departments to ensure financial tools are used and deadlines met
- Overall management of the logistics team, ensuring professional development and regular appraisals of team members under the line management
- Ensure good team work between all team members to ensure completion of work plans and daily/weekly tasks
- Ensure proper follow-up for all HR aspects (contract, attendance, leave) in close coordination with HR department
- Responsible for all contracting including premises/vehicles/vendors/transportation/etc.
- As necessary, negotiate and finalise contracts in close coordination with logistics team in Aden and Field Coordinator
- Oversight of contracts to ensure adherence to the clauses of all parties of the contract/agreement
- Initiate relevant procurement procedures for regular suppliers to establish framework agreements as required
- Coordinate closely with operations team for donation certificates as required
- Adherence to safety and security rules as per HI guidelines in close coordination with the Field Coordinator
- Taking safety and security into consideration for all logistics and supply related issues
- Responsible for the respect of internal safety and security rules for all the logistic departments
COORDINATION & REPORTING
- Ensure good communication with all departments
- Provide logistics support and advice to Operational Team to ensure a smooth project implementation
- Provide trainings to all departments in terms of Logistics procedures as per HI guidelines
- Participate actively in relevant meetings
- Provide any additional support upon request of Line Manager
- Report on monthly basis to the Field Coordinator and to the Logistic Coordinator:
- Monthly narrative report
- Updated Logistics tools: PFU (PMC) + CFU + EFU (EMC) + Stock report + Inventory + Reconciliation tool + OFU (budget), and any other follow up tools implemented.
Note that this job description is subject to change, to respond to additional tasks or changes as identified by the line manager.
JOB CHARACTERISTICS / REQUIREMENTS:
- University degree in logistics or supply Chain or similar field
- 2-5 years work experience in a similar field with INGOs is essential
- Experience in implementing logistics with understanding of donor guidelines is an asset
Skills and Competencies
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Arabic mandatory
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work under pressure with multiple deadlines
- A positive attitude
- Demonstrated team management skills
- Global knowledge on Humanitarian principles, protection mainstreaming, is desirable
Willingness and ability
- Ability to travel in and around Mokha and other governorates
- Potential of overnight stays in other governorates where HI has or wants to start up operations may be requested
- The salary will be defined according to HI’s existing salary scale
- Based in Mokha, with frequent movements to Aden and other field locations
- 30 day leave/year + benefits (transport allowance, health insurance, life insurance)
- The working hours are the following: 8:00 to 16:30 (with 30 minutes lunch break) from Sunday to Thursday.
- Note that working time can go up to 48 hours per week (according to the Yemen labor law) if it is required by the volume of activities and by the line manager.
- Interested candidates may please send their CV and Cover Letter in English, with the reference in the email subject: YEME/HR/2020/PROG/LogMan/ WEST COAST + Applicant full name
Deadline for applications is 11:30 pm on Thursday, January 20th, 2020.
- Please include at least three references (stating the names of your Line Managers and an HR member for each reference – from INGOs), copies of ONLY Experience Certificates, and a copy of your national ID in your application.
- Please address all applications to: Recruitmentfirstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Handicap International, is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.