WASH & Shelter Specialist
WASH & Shelter Specialist
Reports to: WASH Program Manager
Duration: One-year renewable.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
A humanitarian, independent, non-profit, non-governmental organization that works across Yemen. The organization provides direct assistance for conflict-affected populations, IDPs, host communities and vulnerable groups in the conflict areas. The organization, in partnership with international agencies, takes action during crisis situations, and goes the extra mile to engage in other contexts where its competencies will add value. The organization promotes durable solutions for conflict-affected populations and helps to restore services, education, economic, wellbeing and health.
WASH & Shelter Specialist will be responsible for improvement, strengthening, coordination and management of the WASH and Shelter Program. To pursue resource mobilization opportunities aligned to interventions and capacities of the organization in humanitarian and development sectors. To provide technical leadership and quality control in the management, design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Concern’s water, sanitation and hygiene promotion projects as well as Shelter and Non Food Items. To design WASH and Shelter and Non Food Items interventions that are appropriate for each stage of the emergency ensuring the continued effectiveness of the WASH and Shelter Program as needed. To ensure the management and timely implementation of quality WASH/Shelter and Non Food Items projects and interventions that achieve their objectives, are readily accountable to stakeholders as well as providing effective management that ensures accountable use of project resources (finance, human resources and logistic).
Program Quality and Management:
- Be directly responsible for the technical development, guidance, management and implementation of the WASH and Shelter NFI’s Program.
- Responsible for the development of all WASH and Shelter NFI’s projects in the form of draft project concept notes and draft proposals, budgets and budget narratives.
- Effectively manage the WASH and Shelter NFI’s projects and interventions using appropriate tools to ensure projects are delivered on-time, on-budget and to the expected quality.
- Planning of all WASH and Shelter projects' activities setting high quality performance targets and ensuring adherence to technical standards, best practices, donor guidelines and SHPERE standards
- Ensures the use of appropriate project management tools to plan, review and track progress on projects implementation as well as on the utilization of project resources.
- Maintain the highest quality donor and Support Office relations by supporting contractual obligations in a timely manner and achieving high quality planning and implementation levels.
- Represent the organization in clusters’ meeting and in various donor and coordination forums at National level and providing programmatic information as required.
- Ensure protection issues are fully considered throughout the projects’ cycle with women, elderly, disabled and most vulnerable being included in decision making for WASH and Shelter issues.
- Support Project officers and Senior Officers in implementing Shelter/CCCM/WASH projects’ strategy, meeting the objectives and ensure quality implementation of the field activities in compliance with the organization and donor regulations; continuously support effective monitoring, evaluation and learning processes.
- Liaise regularly with SHELTER/CCCM partners and represent the organization in SHELTER/CCCM/ cluster and partners’ meetings.
- Build and maintain mutually respectful relationships with site management team, service providers, local authorities, IDP community members as well as host community members.
- Ensure the timely registration of IDPs, including identification of protection related needs.
- Monitor sites to identify needs, gaps in service provision, and duplication of efforts at IDP site.
- Ensure that the monitoring framework within the program implemented, including baseline data, secondary data, reviews, donor reporting, KAP survey and internal/external evaluations.
- Ensure the development and implement strong M&E systems using appropriate Organizational tools and resources to maximize project impact on beneficiaries.
- Represent the organization at WASH Cluster and Shelter, NFIs and CCCM Cluster as well as any other necessary or relevant meetings/events.
- Supervise and mentor projects' staff working on specific-based activities/sectors.
- Contribute to developing an appropriate Performance Management System.
- Analyzes emergencies and emerging issues to support the Organization’s response, programs planning and communications.
- Ensures strong gender and human rights analysis in all our humanitarian policy work
- Advise senior management about issues affecting project implementation, or key issues affecting future grants/projects developments.
- Conduct routine field support visits for the purposes of supporting program management in accordance with internal procedures, good practice, maximize impact and encourage learning.
- Performs other duties in accordance with instructions assigned by supervisors.
Partnership and Capacity Building:
- Manage relationships, negotiations and intensive communication efforts with partners in all phases of grant/project implementation, facilitates coordination with partners, including knowledge management, learning and capacity building for partner staff.
- Identify both Program Quality and Management Quality capacity building needs and organize relevant support with relevant programs team members.
- Build capacity of field staff in reporting, monitoring and application of humanitarian standards.
- Develop and ensure implementation of training plans for the WAHS and Shelter NFI's projects' team.
Research and Programmatic Reporting:
- Ensure timely and quality preparation of donor project narrative reports, quarterly performance indicator tracking tables, baseline and final evaluation reports, as well as other reports needed/required by the local government, donors, the region or headquarters as per reporting schedule.
- Conducts research, analyses, interprets data, and formats related reports.
- Provides data analysis support for institutional reporting, rapid response to emergency needs, planning for humanitarian responses, resource development, and related requests for information.
- Identification of where the organization competency strengths overlap with partner needs; analysis of key policies currently being discussed and implemented by donors; and preparation of donor regional briefs for a consolidated and coherent approach of donors, and partnership building.
- Works with and support the team members to undertake desk based and field research on prioritized areas of analysis
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- University degree in Civil Engineering or any other related field.
- 1 year of increasingly responsible professional experience in developmental and humanitarian response programming and cluster approach.
- Demonstrable experience in fundraising and donor relations
- Field experience is a strong asset.
- Experience in the development of emergency water Supply, hygiene promotion and Sanitation.
- Self-management/emotional intelligence, confidence and ability in speaking in public forums and events
- Fluent written and spoken English and Arabic with the ability to translate complex material and data into clear and concise materials and reports.
- Excellent negotiation and presentational skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Knowledge of computer applications i.e. Microsoft word, Excel, communications systems.
- Knowledge of Engineering Software programmes like AutoCAD, Water CAD etc
- Demonstrated experience mobilizing resources for humanitarian assistance.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team under pressure.
- Proven ability to deliver against targets and meeting deadlines within a short time frame.
- Proven skills in assessment methodology design and questionnaire design.
- Experience in primary and secondary data collection techniques.
- Analytical and strategic thinking and results orientation/Commitment to excellence.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their updated CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org, by Tuesday Jan 21st, 2020 at the latest, mentioning the job title in the subject line. Emails without such indication will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.