The HALO Trust is the world’s largest humanitarian demining organization. HALO is a non-governmental, non-political, non-religious organization headquartered in the UK. HALO’s mission is to protect lives and restore the livelihoods of those affected by conflict. We clear landmines and the explosive debris of war so families, communities and countries can recover.
HALO registered in Yemen in 2019, and will start operations in 2020.
HALO is an equal opportunities employer, and will not discriminate against any candidate on the basis of age, sex, ethnicity, religion, or any other characteristic. All recruitment is conducted in a transparent manner, with selection made solely on the basis of ability. Women and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
JOB TITLE: Finance Officer
REPORTING TO: Programme Manager
The FO provides leadership, management and accountability to the programme’s finance functions. The FO is primarily responsible for daily accounting and cash management functions. Alongside the Programme Manger, they also fulfil budgeting, monitoring, reporting, auditing and financial risk management requirements. The FO works closely with HR and logistics functions to ensure payroll and procurement are conducted in line with standard operating procedures.
The FO also works collaboratively with programme and operations managers, and is expected to have a full understanding of contract activities and outputs. The FO will on occasion be asked to complete reasonable additional duties that fall outside of the job description.
The FO reports directly to the Programme Manager and indirectly to the Regional Finance Manager based at HALO HQ in Scotland, UK.
Leadership and compliance
- Act as the senior financial point of contact, providing compliant, timely and effective advice and information to the Programme Manager, donors and HALO HQ.
- Ensure programme financial policies and procedures are followed strictly and in compliance with HALO’s Global Finance and Accounting Manual.
- Ensure each donor’s audit compliance requirements are met. The FO must report instances of non-compliance immediately.
- Maintain and update any required programme financial policies and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to ensure operational efficiency, liaising with the Regional Finance Manager at HALO HQ.
- Oversee programme procurement procedures to ensure compliance and value for money.
- Deliver clear and transparent accounting of all HALO financial transactions in accordance with the Global Finance and Accounting Manual
- Maintain accurate records of all finance transactions manually in the cashbook and digitally on the balance sheet
- Submit monthly accounts to HALO UK together with the Programme Manager
- Prepare payment vouchers (PVs), collect and examine supporting documents, and ensure that documents and signatures are valid and in accordance with procedures
- Prepare and process cheques and payment orders
- Plan and manage cashflow through cash requests to HALO UK, bank account management, and responsibility for petty cash held in the office
- Conduct cash count and safe checks every week or when requested
- Digital and physical filing of accounts and financial documents
- Ensure all staff are aware of and follow purchasing and payment procedures, especially logistics and procurement functions
- Monitor and reconcile bank balances continuously
- Together with HR function ensure all staff employment contracts are signed, and filed electronically and in hard copy.
- Help manage HR database ensuring up-to-date HR information at all times including staff attendance, annual leave, sick, extra hours, disciplinary information
- Process monthly Payroll in a timely manner
- Process accurate payments to tax authorities
Programme/project finance management:
- Together with Programme Manager help implement and use of HALO’s budget and reporting system (Adaptive Insights)
- Lead financial planning for the programme office, including development, management and reporting of the programme office budget.
- Conduct programme financial analysis to identify discrepancies and resolve any issues or funding gaps.
- With Programme Manager, lead the preparation, implementation, management and reporting of project-specific budgets, including the financial performance of national NGO partners and expenditure compliance in accordance with project donor requirements.
- Advise the Regional Finance Manager at HALO HQ of all new concepts and proposals, to enable HALO HQ to monitor HALO’S overall Business Plan
Financial reporting and auditing:
- Lead the preparation of financial statements, project donor financial reports, and payment requests submitted to donors and/or HALO HQ.
- Lead preparation for internal and external audits, and assist HALO HQ Finance with required documentations for audits conducted at HALO HQ.
REQUIREMENTS – ESSENTIAL
- Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Management with a minimum of five (5) years’ professional experience
- Advanced spoken and written English
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and analytical skills with meticulous attention to detail
- Strong computer literacy, with proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- Ability to work effectively with a team in a culturally diverse environment
- Commitment to HALO’s Values and Standards at all times, in and out of work
- Commitment to HALO’s Global and National Policies, including Safeguarding & Whistleblowing
- Commitment to HALO Yemen’s Zero Accident Vision
REQUIREMENTS – ESSENTIAL
- Experience working with accounting and/or enterprise resource planning software
- Previous international NGO experience
- Previous experience in human resources and procurement management
Submit a CV (two pages maximum) and cover letter (one-page maximum) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Thursday 23 January 2020
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview.