Ended Finance Assistant (Re-Advertised)
Finance Assistant (Re-Advertised)
Duty Station [Sana’a]
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in the Middle East (ME) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey with a Regional Office (RO) in Amman.
DRC Yemen’s response
Throughout its nine field offices and a workforce of 450 staff, DRC upholds its main programmatic objectives to provide immediate and life sustaining assistance, to strengthen the protective environment, and to reduce displacement related risks and vulnerabilities by promoting self-reliance at household and community level.
About the job
The Finance Assistant will facilitate the efficient and effective financial operation of DRC Sana’a office. He/She will ensure compliance with DRC rules and regulations as described in the Operations Handbook (OH) alongside donor policies, procedures, guidelines and rules.
She/he will seek and receive policy guidance/ instructions and support from Finance Manager on his/her responsibilities.
Geographic scope: Country (Yemen –Sana’a)
The duty station of the Finance Assistant will be based in Sana’a with possibility to move to the field frequently and other offices for support if needed.
Duties and Responsibilities
Finance and accounting
- Daily accounting (bookkeeping) according to DRC financial handbook
- Manage petty cash and clear cash advances upon request
- Prepare monthly cash counts
- Maintain proper filing of all financial documentation (vouchers, contracts, tender documents, etc.)
- Cash Box counting according to the financial handbook
- Transferring payments when needed and follows up with partners’ reports
- Follows a given work plan
- Routine record keeping
- Correctly use DRC Dynamics functionalities in area of concern
- Ensure all expenses enter the DRC accounting system in time and of highest quality
- Ensure to update cashbooks on a daily basis to reflect the actual status of existing cash count and bank balance in all currencies
- Check invoices, activity and account coding and prepare vouchers.
- Implement and manage all aspects of daily accounting operations. And ensure that all supporting documents are prepared and submitted in accordance with approved procedures.
- Verify that purchases have appropriate authorization and are signed by authorized team member.
- Assist Admin and Finance Officer in the closure of accounts at the end of month.
- Provide technical financial and administrative support to field staff.
- Support in the implementation of financial policies and procedures.
- Support logistics in preparing monthly asset lists.
- Maintain the contract follow up on a monthly basis, and make sure all contracts are renewed, closed, or/and paid on time.
- Act as cashier for payments to be processed and carry out cash distributions to the beneficiaries
- Monitor cash transfers and payments.
- Assist with collecting, reviewing, correcting and filing all financial progress reports from the partners
- Support financial report preparations
- Submit progress and status reports
- Perform administrative task according to DRC guidelines.
- Book hotels and flights for DRC staff national and international travel and meetings.
- Receive and send official correspondence and maintain record for it.
- Attend and receive phone calls and fax messages to DRC office.
- Provide support to various departments in data entry tasks.
- Follow up and support with residency and work permits
- Perform ad hoc office tasks.
- Any other duties relating to the nature of the job as requested by the Manager.
DRC Dynamics ERP System
- Ensure that all expenditures are booked via DRC Dynamics.
- Ensure ERP finance functionalities are properly used by concerned staff and team has proper knowledge and access to information to use DRC Dynamics
- Apply reports and data analytics from ERP system to improve performance in area of concern
To be successful in this role you must have:
- Minimum 1 year of relevant work experience
- Experience with carrying out admin tasks
- Good communication skills
- Advanced proficiency in Excel
- Basic proficiency in PowerPoint and Word
- Well-developed organizational and planning skills in order to meet deadlines
- NGO experience
- Advanced English proficiency
- Fluency in local language
Experience in soft accounting systems, experience with ERP Dynamics is a plus.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Moreover we also expect the following:
- University degree in relevant area.
- Fluency in English language (written and spoken).
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Fluency in Arabic language (written and spoken).
DRC will offer the successful applicant a 12 months contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work from January and be willing and able to work in Sana’a.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. This position will be placed at level (I).
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button or link below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close on 18 Jan, 2019. The interviews are expected to take place on as soon as possible.
Need further information?
For more details on this position please contact email@example.com
Please note that applications sent directly to [firstname.lastname@example.org] will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo