Ended Administration and Finance Manager
Contract: Full time.
Reports to: Executive Director.
Responsible for: accountant assistant, administration officer
Liaises with: Financial controllers and auditors (external), project manager, HR officer, monitoring & evaluation officer and field office staff.
Start date: 1 February 2020 for 6 months.
Duty station: Aden, with regular field visits to project locations.
The Administration and Finance Manager is responsible for the management of the finance and administration function in line with Modern Social Association (MSA) and its donors’ policies, procedures and standards. The work involves preparation of the monthly/management accounts, budget revisions and financial reporting. The role also involves assisting programme managers in preparation of budgets for donor proposals, and MSA budget revision processes; reviewing monthly payroll; maintain bank accounts in Aden and field offices and provide technical support to local partners at field level.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure that country financial management systems & records for Aden and Al-Maharah offices are adequate in order to identify and protect the assets & interests of the organisation.
- Make regular visits to all field offices to ensure adequate monitoring systems are in place to minimise the risk of loss or misuse of assets and financial resources.
- Ensure that statutory regulations regarding deductions and taxation of staff and suppliers are complied with and payment made to relevant authorities.
- Ensure that monthly cash forecasts are accurate and realistic. This should be submitted to the Executive Director and Executive board promptly to avoid cash shortages/excesses
FINANCIAL SYSTEM & GENERAL LEDGER MAINTENANCE
- Create budget codes for each new project (budget preparation and coding).
- Produce monthly Charter of Accounts.
- Review and upload all bank and cashbooks on a monthly basis i.e. cash/bank reconciliation, ensuring all codes are correct, descriptions are appropriate and exchange rates are correct and in line with MSA/donor guidelines.
- Prepare and upload all journals into the accounting system.
- Liaise with field office to ensure new codes are updated and maintained
- Preparation of monthly balance sheet reconciliations for review by the financial controller/auditor
- Liaise with Executive Director and financial controller to provide all necessary information from field offices to enable timely & accurate preparation of monthly/management accounts for budget-holders and project managers to ensure that they can monitor the budget utilisation and take appropriate action on any significant variances.
- Liaise with financial controller to respond to management account feedback from budget holders and follow up the process of taking corrective action where required.
- Participate in the monthly coordination meetings with budget holders and project managers to discuss their respective feedback and programme costs to date and variances to budget.
- Ensure timely & accurate preparation of financial reports for HQ office in Aden and field offices
- Finalise the year end accounts for external auditors and provide all year reports.
- Budgeting – assist in supporting budget holders during budget revisions and proposal development.
CAPACITY BUILDING AND STAFF MANAGEMENT
- Assist in developing the capacity of the Aden and Al-Mahara administrative and finance teams to ensure that a good standard of financial management is maintained in all field offices.
- Supervise accountant assistant and administration officer in Aden and field offices, ensuring that they s/he has an up to date contracts, job descriptions, probation period evaluation and performance appraisal review (PAR) forms.
- Ensure a system is in place to induct, train and support all new staff on relevant aspects of MSA financial systems and procedures
- Undertake financial training of budget-holders and project managers to assist them in enforcing financial controls & making decisions based on financial reports.
- Manage the cash & bank functions of Aden and Al-Mahara and oversee the work of the finance team in the region.
- Ensure adequate controls over cash & bank management are in place and constantly monitored & updated to minimise the risk of fraud or misappropriation
- Undertake regular field visits to field offices in order to assess the financial systems in place & implement improvements & standardisation wherever required
- Closely monitor all financial activities in Aden and Al-Maharah and keep the executive director and financial controller advised of all situations which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial management performance.
- Maintain an effective & efficient system of internal controls which comply with MSA financial guidelines.
- Review existing systems on an on-going basis in order to develop and improve internal controls, in compliance with MSA’s policies and procedure, as well as donors’ regulations.
- Ensure that all financial records & accounts are compiled timely, accurately and in line with international accounting standards & donor regulations
- Ensure that the Aden and Al-Maharah financial operations comply with legal & statutory requirements e.g. audit & financial reporting to all relevant national authorities.
- Providing, as requested, cover to key finance/senior management functions during staff shortage at HQ and field level.
- Assist with and facilitate internal and external audit process.
- The Administration & Finance Manager is accountable to the Executive Director (ED) for performance. Completion of timely and accurate written reports, feedback from ED, colleagues in Aden, technical managers from the field and service partners are the main means of assessing performance.
- University degree in finance or accounting. Post graduate degree in finance, accounting or administration is desirable.
- Qualified from recognised accounting body (Chartered Accountant in Yemen).
Job related Experience and Knowledge
- Experience working with the INGO, NGO, donor agencies or national accountancy firms in Yemen for at least 5 years.
- Expert user of Microsoft office suites, particularly Excel. Experience in using common accounting software programmes in Yemen is required.
- Good team player and ability to teach/capacity build finance staff/budget holders within MSA and with partner organisations.
- Ability to work without detailed supervision, excellent organisational and problem-solving skills, personal integrity, cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Willingness to travel frequently and live under pretty basic conditions, flexibility, high respect for all HQ and field s, patience, ability to meet deadlines,
- Understanding of the role and responsibilities of NGOs/INGOs in development work.
MSA Yemen recognises that gender equality among its staff and project beneficiaries is key to developing communities and addressing their health and social needs. Therefore, each staff member of MSA is expected to be sensitive to equality issues in their relationships with colleagues and in their work and to participate in implementation of gender mainstreaming plans, both at the workplace and in the field.
If you are interested, please send your detailed CV and a motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 23rd January 2020. Make sure to title your email with the following phrase: Administration & Finance Manager_JR 120.
Applications without this email title WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.