Ended Project Assistant (2)
Search for Common Ground (Search) is an international non-profit organization that promotes peaceful resolution of conflict. Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict - away from adversarial approaches and toward cooperative solutions. Search seeks to help conflicting parties understand their differences and act on their commonalities. With a total of approximately 400 staff worldwide, Search implements projects from 39 offices in 36 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States. The organization is an exciting and rewarding place to work at, with a dedicated and enthusiastic staff who love their work. You will be joining a highly motivated staff with a good team spirit and there will be opportunities to grow in the role.
Search has been working in Yemen since 2010 to promote social cohesion through work with youth, media, and women’s groups across the country. Search Yemen is seeking highly qualified individuals for the following position:
Vacancy: 2 Project Assistant
Two Project Assistant will be responsible for supporting activities in three targeted governorates in southern Yemen for a new project entitled “Yemen Systems, Health, and Resiliency Project” (SHARP), funded by USAID Yemen. SHARP aims to strengthen resilience within Yemen’s Health Sector to withstand the fluctuating humanitarian, early recovery, and development cycle context. This will be achieved through two objectives: (i) engendering demand for and improving healthy behaviors in reproductive, maternal, newborn, and child health (RMNCH), as well as nutrition; and (ii) improving governance by cultivating trust among local authorities and training them in conflict and communication skills
The lead implementing partner is John Snow, Inc. (JSI) and other implementing partners are the Yemeni Family Care Association (YFCA) and National Yemeni Midwives Association (NYMA). The Project Manager will work closely with all three consortium partners as well as the wider Search-Yemen team. Search’s project interventions will focus on, among other things, conducting needs-based assessments, designing and disseminating key messages for target populations, connecting media partners to community committees, introducing tools to increase local health services’ efficacy, strengthening the capacity of local leaders through workshops and trainings, and implementing conflict scans.
Based in Aden, Yemen, the Project Assistant will report to the Project Coordinator. S/He will provide essential support to the project, handle administrative functions, such as planning meetings, tracking budgets, and overseeing the minute details associated with complex task tracking, working with the Project Manager and other team members to achieve project success.
The Project Assistant will report directly to the Project Coordinator and will perform the following responsibilities:
- Support implementation of project’s activities by following up activity updates from the field.
- Assist in documenting events and workshops.
- Organize and files media documentation.
- Prepare the documents for contracting project partners and consultants.
- Extend other assistance to the project when required.
- Adhere to all organizational policies and procedures as outlined in Search policies and procedure manuals.
- Follow all organizational protocols and regulations according to guidance provided by the HR Department.
- Ensure project files are kept updated with the most current information.
- Process incoming documentation from partners.
- Meticulously name and classify each file/document digitally to ensure easy access.
- Follow up on any missing documents and makes sure that all required documents are fully completed by creating an excel sheet database to ensure proper follow-up and to report any missing documents.
- Maintain electronic/hard copy filing for staff files, particularly for contracts, extensions, and amendments.
- Store files properly in the archiving room.
- Prepare the required documents in case of external/internal audit, under the supervision of the line supervisor.
- Attend meetings with partners and takes minutes.
- Ensure documents requiring a signature are approved and processed in a timely manner.
- Receive and collect documents related to the project activities and maintains an accurate and complete filing system electronically and in hard copies.
- Ensure a safe working environment for all people involved in project implementation and maintains the highest standards of behavior when working with the community targeted.
- Prepare logistics, including invitations, participants’ cards, desk signs, participants’ lists, attendance lists, invoices, per diem forms, taking photos, making copies needed for the training materials, certificates and completing request forms for stationery needed.
- Perform any other related duties as may be assigned.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
You meet the following qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent certificate/diploma or similar qualification from a recognized establishment and/or equivalent experiences.
- At least 3 years’ professional experience in a comparable position including extensive fieldwork.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in administrative, organizational, and operational project work.
- Strong experience in coordinating project activities amongst a wide range of stakeholders.
- Previous work with local CSOs, NGOs, and local government structures is highly desirable.
- Strong capacity-building experience with some training experiences.
- Demonstrated reporting skills and the ability to capture results.
- Ability to analyze and present information in a clear manner.
- Good knowledge of the Yemeni conflict context and previous experience working in local contexts in Yemen.
- Knowledge of health systems in Yemen, knowledge of RMNCH+Nutrition systems would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge and experience in conflict transformation and peacebuilding is highly desirable.
Skills and Competencies
- Demonstrated computer skills (Word and Excel).
- Excellent command of Arabic language skills required and English language skills desirable.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter with the ability to manage time effectively.
- Discipline and punctuality.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, and tasks efficiently.
- Maintains focus on priorities.
- Willingness and ability to travel within the country.
- Able to work under pressure and in remote areas.
- Demonstrates excellence in both oral and written communications.
This position will close on February 22, 2020.
To apply, interested candidates should send the following items to our employment portal here:
- current resume
- cover Letter
Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our website www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.
All Search Employees must adhere to the values: Shared Humanity - Empathy - Impartiality - Inclusivity - Courage - Hope - Humility - Audacity. In accordance with these values, Search enforces compliance with the Code of Conduct and related policies on Anti Workplace Harassment, Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Conflict of Interest and Anti-fraud.