Ended Project Manager
Search for Common Ground (Search) is an international non-profit organization that promotes peaceful resolution of conflict. Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict - away from adversarial approaches and toward cooperative solutions. Search seeks to help conflicting parties understand their differences and act on their commonalities. With a total of approximately 400 staff worldwide, Search implements projects from 39 offices in 36 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States. The organization is an exciting and rewarding place to work at, with a dedicated and enthusiastic staff who love their work. You will be joining a highly motivated staff with a good team spirit and there will be opportunities to grow in the role.
Search has been working in Yemen since 2010 to promote social cohesion through work with youth, media, and women’s groups across the country. Search Yemen is seeking highly qualified individuals for the following position:
Vacancy: Project Manager
The Project Manager will be responsible for managing the implementation of all project activities in three targeted governorates in southern Yemen for a new project entitled ‘Systems, Health and Resiliency Project’ (SHARP), funded by USAID/Yemen. SHARP aims to strengthen resilience within Yemen’s Health Sector to withstand the fluctuating humanitarian, early recovery, and development cycle context. This will be achieved through two objectives: (i) engendering demand for and improving healthy behaviors in reproductive, maternal, newborn, and child health (RMNCH), as well as nutrition; and (ii) improving governance by cultivating trust among local authorities and training them in conflict and communication skills.
The lead implementing partner is John Snow, Inc. (JSI) and other implementing partners are the Yemeni Family Care Association (YFCA) and National Yemeni Midwives Association (NYMA). The Project Manager will work closely with all three consortium partners as well as the wider Search-Yemen team. Seach’s project interventions will focus on, among other things, conducting needs-based assessments, designing and disseminating key messages for target populations, connecting media partners to community committees, introducing tools to increase local health services’ efficacy, strengthening the capacity of local leaders through workshops and trainings, and implementing conflict scans.
Based in Aden, the Project Manager will report to the Head of Programs.
The Project manager will report directly to the head of programs while performing in taking over the following main responsibilities:
Project Implementation tasks/ responsibilities
- Manage and supervise the implementation of all aspects related to project activities by ensuring that they are conducted and completed in a timely, efficient and accurate manner. This includes preparing monthly costed work plans, annual plans, budget management, and monitoring and evaluation plans, among other tasks.
- Ensure that project activities are conducted in a smooth manner, based on annual and monthly work plans.
- Monitor field activity implementation and progression.
- Maintain positive relations with local partners and relevant authorities.
- Monitor and follow-up on the performance of Project Coordinators and consultants, prepare feedback on any related challenges, and propose actions for mitigating risks whenever/if applicable.
- Ensure that project management methods, standards, and processes are applied and maintained throughout the project lifecycle.
- Conduct frequent field visits to targeted governorates to supervise project interventions, as necessary.
- Develop monthly project reports and submit them to the Search program management.
- Ensure that project activities are well coordinated with Search-Yemen’s Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) team based on applied data collection tools and data flow mechanisms.
- Coordinate efforts with other Search projects to ensure targeted cooperation and synergy for more efficient resource use and better results.
- Coordinate closely with consortium partners to ensure comprehensive project implementation and integration of peacebuilding activities across programming.
- Ensure that interventions conducted are in-line with project documents and consistent with contractual arrangements committed by Search-Yemen to the donor.
- Adhere to Search-Yemen values and principles during all project implementation stages, especially to those related to gender sensitivity.
Administrative & financial tasks/responsibilities;
- Participate in Search-Yemen management meetings and report on proceedings of project performance.
- Participate in SHARP management meetings and report on proceedings of project performance.
- Ensure that communication, cooperation, and coordination with the operations and finance departments are maintained for the interest of Search-Yemen.
- Ensure the application of quality filing and reporting systems for project activities and project affairs.
- Assess performance of project team members according to the system applied by Search and propose respective staff development measures.
- Provide inputs and any required support for expanding Search-Yemen’s visibility (this includes the preparation of brochures, visual materials, and other relevant communication materials on project activities).
- Ensure linear financial flow based on the project budget lines in close coordination with finance and other departments.
Overall organizational & leadership responsibilities;
- Fulfill commitments for the project goal of gender equality and maximize the participation and involvement of women and men in all aspects of program implementation.
- Maximize safe working environment for all people involved in project implementation.
- Maintain the highest standards of behavior when working with and for the targeted communities.
- Prioritize adherence to all organizational policies, rules, and procedures (as outlined in Search-Yemen’s policies and procedure manuals).
- Apply organizational protocols and regulations according to guidance provided by Search-Yemen in general and those advised by Search-Yemen’s HR department.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities
You meet the following qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent certificate/diploma or similar qualification from a recognized establishment and/or equivalent experiences.
- At least 5 years professional proved experience in a comparable position.
- Previous engagement on health related projects.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in administrative, organizational, and operational project work.
- Strong experience in managing and coordinating project activities for a wide range of stakeholders.
- Proven work experience with/for CSOs, NGOs, and local government structures is desirable.
- Strong capacity-building experience.
- Demonstrated and professional reporting skills and the ability to be result oriented.
- Knowledge of the Yemeni conflict context with progressive experiences working in local Yemeni contexts.
- Knowledge of healthy systems in Yemen, knowledge of RMNCH+Nutrition systems would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge and experience in conflict transformation and peacebuilding is highly desirable.
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to maintain and develop professional working relationships at all levels, both internally and externally.
- Experienced in managing consortium projects and cognisant of the challenges and opportunities within a “one team” approach.
- Capability to define and manage priority aspects with deadlines and in an efficient manner.
- Ability to lead professional teams towards predefined results.
- Capability to work in different environment based on deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and to work with minimum supervision.
- Problem solving orientation.
- Willingness to travel within the country and within fragile conditions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, energetic, and socially tolerant.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (both Arabic and English).
- Very good knowledge and skills in ITC technologies (related software, internet etc…) and in
- computer applications (e.g. MS Office, Excel etc…).
- Ability to coordinate and socialize with others; professional correspondence techniques
- and the preparation of financial reports.
- Flexibility to work under pressure and in remote areas.
This position will close on February 22, 2020.
To apply, interested candidates should send the following items to our employment portal here:
- current resume
- cover Letter
Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our website www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.
All Search Employees must adhere to the values: Shared Humanity - Empathy - Impartiality - Inclusivity - Courage - Hope - Humility - Audacity. In accordance with these values, Search enforces compliance with the Code of Conduct and related policies on Anti Workplace Harassment, Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Conflict of Interest and Anti-fraud.