Duty Station [Al-Dhale’a-Yemen]
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a protection of human rights framework, DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict. Programmers include protection, livelihood, food and NFI distribution, water and sanitation, and advocacy amongst others. DRC Yemen has been providing relief and development services in Yemen since 2008. DRC has mainly focused on refugees and migrants displaced by conflict and natural disasters.
DRC, through its specialized business unit, Danish Demining Group (DDG) aims to recreate a safe environment where people can live without the threat of landmines, unexploded ordinances and small arms and light weapons”. These goals can be effectively advanced through cooperation and joint action with other organization as well as with integration of operations and programs with its sister organization, DRC.
About the job:
Overall purpose of the role
The Livelihood officer is responsible for the implementation of the project in AlDhalee under the supervision of the livelihoods project manager. The project is an integration component between livelihood and protection which contains committees and beneficiaries training, small grants, reporting, as well as the sensitization and supervision of the training and following up with the beneficiaries’ case by case. It is also need to have general knowledge in protection in additional to another livelihood tasks in the area.
Geographic scope: Country (Yemen)
The Project will contribute to the improvement of conflict affected people in Yemen’s access to rights and services through the provision of essential protection services targeting all age groups and all type of beneficiaries including internally displaced persons (IDPs), host communities (HCs), returnees, migrants, refugees and asylum seekers. It will target the most vulnerable individuals including women, men, boys, and girls in Sada'a.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in sensitizing key stakeholders - Government and I/NGos - working in target districts, sub-districts and, communities about the project concept, benefits, targeting criteria, implementation strategies and modalities, monitoring and other such aspects.
- Work with other DRC team to select the local partner from the same targeted area.
- Supervising the local partner and ensure delivering all project requirements.
- Train the community committees in understanding the project component.
- Conduct labour market assessment, needs assessment, market monitoring as required.
- Work closely with the protection team to achieve the project outcomes and outputs.
- Planning to deliver the training and small grants to the beneficiaries in time.
- Ensure the monitoring of the beneficiaries after receiving their grants and keep in record.
- Daily and monthly reporting to the projects manager.
- Being fully responsible with the livelihood assistant for accurately documenting the projects elements.
- Responsible for following up the planning and implementing the project activities in the field.
- Assist in understanding and arriving at security related decisions by supplying filed based information; Knowledge and ability to link up to security networks to access, analyze, and coordinate decisions;
- Maintain respectful and constructive relations with partner organizations, local authorities and humanitarian agencies. Work constructively within the team and take initiative on new tasks.
- Assist in any MEAL activities conducted under the project.
- Attending other related functions as and when assigned by his/her supervisor;
To be successful in this role you must have:
Experience and technical competencies:
Required experience and competencies
- At least two years working with humanitarian organization, preferable in small grant/ business.
- Must be proficient Arabic and English.
- Excellent familiarity to security, programming, and cultural contexts in AlDhalee; At least one year experience in the same contexts.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to write weekly activity reports;
- Ability to work well in unstable and frequently changing security environments.
- Ability and willingness to frequently travel among different districts
- Very good organizational skills, self-motivated and efficient, with willingness to pay attention to details
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
• Hold a Bachelor Degree in University degree in development studies, Social Science, or related field related to emergency for rural conflict areas
- Arabic - Fluent, reading and writing
- English – Very Good, reading and writing
DRC will offer the successful applicant a contract ends in 31 December 2020, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work As soon as possible, and be willing and able to work in Al-Dhale’a.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. This position will be placed at Band (H Non- Manager).
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button or the link below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Applications close 23 February 2020. The interviews are expected to take place form Next week after closing.
Need further information?
For more details on this position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that applications sent directly to [email@example.com] will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo