Ended Livelihoods Officer
Duty Station [Sa’ada]
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an International non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people in over 30 countries around the world. DRC has been operating in East Africa and Yemen (EAY) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programs through Country Offices (COs) in Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia/Djibouti, Yemen and Uganda/Tanzania with a Regional Office (RO) in Nairobi.
DRC, through its specialized business unit, Danish Demining Group (DDG) aims to recreate a safe environment where people can live without the threat of landmines, unexploded ordinances and small arms and light weapons”. These goals can be effectively advanced through cooperation and joint action with other organization as well as with integration of operations and programs with its sister organization, DRC.
About the job
The Livelihood officer is responsible for the implementation of the project in Sa’adh under the supervision of the livelihoods project manager. The project is an integration component between livelihood and protection which contains committees and beneficiaries training, small grants, reporting, as well as the sensitization and supervision of the training and following up with the beneficiaries’ case by case. It is also need to have general knowledge in protection in additional to another livelihood tasks in the area.
Geographic scope: Country (Yemen)
The Project will contribute to the improvement of conflict affected people in Yemen’s access to rights and services through the provision of essential protection services targeting all age groups and all type of beneficiaries including internally displaced persons (IDPs), host communities (HCs), returnees, migrants, refugees and asylum seekers. It will target the most vulnerable individuals including women, men, boys, and girls in Sada'a.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in sensitizing key stakeholders - Government and I/NGos - working in target districts, sub-districts and, communities about the project concept, benefits, targeting criteria, implementation strategies and modalities, monitoring and other such aspects.
- Train the community committees in understanding the project component.
- Conduct labour market assessment, needs assessment, market monitoring as required.
- Work closely with the protection team to achieve the project outcomes and outputs.
- Planning to deliver the training and small grants to the beneficiaries in time.
- Ensure the monitoring of the beneficiaries after receiving their grants and keep in record.
- Daily and monthly reporting to the projects manager.
- Being fully responsible with the livelihood assistant for accurately documenting the projects elements.
- Responsible for following up the planning and implementing the project activities in the field.
- Assist in understanding and arriving at security related decisions by supplying filed based information; Knowledge and ability to link up to security networks to access, analyze, and coordinate decisions;
- Maintain respectful and constructive relations with partner organizations, local authorities and humanitarian agencies. Work constructively within the team and take initiative on new tasks.
- Assist in any MEAL activities conducted under the project.
- Attending other related functions as and when assigned by his/her supervisor;
To be successful in this role you must have:
- Hold a Bachelor Degree in development studies, Social Science, or related field related to emergency for rural conflict areas
- At least two years working with humanitarian organization, preferable in small grant/ business.
- Must be proficient Arabic and English.
- Excellent familiarity to security, programming, and cultural contexts in Sa’adh; At least one year experience in the same contexts.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to write weekly activity reports;
- Ability to work well in unstable and frequently changing security environments.
- Ability and willingness to frequently travel among different districts
- Very good organizational skills, self-motivated and efficient, with willingness to pay attention to details .
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Moreover we also expect the following:
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Good English language (written and spoken)
- Excellent report writing skills including editing the work of others
- Fluency in Arabic language (written and spoken)
DRC will offer the successful applicant a 6 months contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work from 2nd of March, 2020 and be willing and able to work in Sa’ada.
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. This position will be placed at level (NMH2).
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the link below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Applications closing date 19thFeb, 2020
Need further information?
For more details on this position please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that applications sent directly to [email@example.com] will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo