Finance Assistant (Sana'a/Aden/Hodeida/Ibb/Taiz) (2000509)
Contractual Arrangement: Temporary appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Contract duration: One year (Subject to availability of funds, satisfactory performance and continuing need for the position)
Job Posting: Feb 6, 2020, 4:55:08 PM
Closing Date: Feb 20, 2020, 1:59:00 AM
Location: (Sanaa, Aden, Hodeidah, Saada, Taiz, Ibb, Mukalla, Marib and Turbah)
Organization: EM_YEM WHO Representative's Office, Yemen
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device's system settings.
Locations for this post: Sana'a/Aden/Hodeida/Ibb/Taiz
Purpose of the Position:
Provide support to the country office, as related to the preparation and monitoring of budget estimates, financial transactions, e-imprest, journalization, and liquidation of payments and facilitate the timely transfer of funds for Programme activities. Provide assistance to national and international staff and non-staff on all issues related to financial matters.
Objectives of the Programme and the immediate Strategic Objective (Overview of the programme):
To ensure that effective WHO country presence is established to implement WHO country cooperation strategies that are aligned with Member State’s health and development agendas, and harmonized with the United Nations country teams.
Organizational context (Describe the individual role of incumbent within the team, focusing on the intricacy and difficulty of working environment):
Under the direct supervision of the and the overall supervision of the incumbent will work as a team member in a normal office environment. Guidance is provided in the form of work programme, account guidelines, administrative and financial instructions. Incumbent determine priorities and performs day-to-day routine tasks independently. Complex issues or exceptions from established procedures are discussed and resolved with supervisor. Considerable judgment and interpretation are involved to determine appropriate methods for the processing of the various accounting tasks and in adapting established practices to assigned work.
Summary of Assigned Duties (Describe what the incumbent has to do to achieve main objectives; include main achievements expected):
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Contribute to the development of the WRO programme budget, OSERs and workplans. Maintain an overview on budgetary, funding and related financial issues, closely monitoring deadlines, obligations, gaps etc. Draw supervisors’ attention to specific/unusual discrepancies or problems, recommends necessary corrective actions.
- Initiate, consolidate and prepare periodic reports on the budgetary situation, implementation rates and special financial reports; prepare detailed cost estimates and participate in budget analysis and projections as required. Initiate correspondence and answer queries related to area of work.
- Administer the E-Imprest system, scrutinize and select data from variety of sources, ensure accuracy in calculations and attachment of necessary supporting receipts of payments and authorizations. Process and monitor of eImprest GL’s and all eImprest transactions including review of services purchase orders – Imprest, DFC’s, GES and other activities with the aim to ensure accuracy of financial data, adequacy of supporting documents and maintenance of proper accounting records in compliance with financial procedures and WHO rules and reply to auditors’ queries.
- Advise and brief all staff and non-staff on financial rules and procedures pertaining to allowances, salary advances, travel claims and other financial matters. Coordinate and supervise the work of other Finance Assistants, if needed.
- Initiate, verify and process financial transactions and payments for WRO office and sub- offices related to staff and non-staff costs, purchase orders, local purchases, etc, based on authorizations received from EMRO and GSC.
- Reconcile country office cash books and justify any difference in reconciliation; prepare cash counts and to reconcile with the cashbook on a monthly basis
- Monitor timely transfer of program funds and award budgeting GSM workplans. Monitor distribution and amendments of awards, follow up on cash receipts and unapplied receivable balances, monitor revisions of amounts vis-à-vis award distribution by SO/OWER and budget centre, check validity of awards, reporting deadlines and linkage of awards to projects and initiate action for expenditure batches.
- Participate in preparation of proposals for resource mobilization and support WR and national partners, in the follow-up of multi or bilateral pledges to ensure the availability of funds for the implementation of workplans and programme activities.
- Compare cash books with bank statements to compute gain and loss in exchange rate on monthly basis and liaison with officials of local banks to obtain day-to-day information on exchange rates, changes in procedures and regulations and matters pertaining to maintenance of office bank accounts.
- Replace and assist other colleagues in the team and perform other related financial and administrative duties as required
Essential: Completion of secondary education; training in business administration/commerce and or technical courses in a field related to the work performed.
Desirable: Bachelor’s degree in accounting, commerce or business administration is an asset.
Essential: At least eight years of related experience in accounting and/or administrative work.
Desirable: Relevant experience in the UN system.
- Very good time management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of banking regulations and local laws.
- Proven analytical skills.
- Knowledge of the organization's policies and regulations in general, and in particular, regarding project activities and financial procedures is an asset.
- Producing Results
- Fostering integration and team work
- Communicating in a credible and effective way
- Ensure effective use of resources.
- Setting an example.
Use of Language Skills
Languages: Very good knowledge of English and the local language. French is an asset.
Good knowledge of Microsoft applications.
Knowledge of ERP/Oracle applications is an asset
WHO offers staff in the General Services category an attractive remuneration package, which for the above position includes an annual net base salary starting at USD 22,986 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill lower level positions at the same field
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- Staff members in other duty stations are encouraged to apply.
- For information on WHO's operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO's workforce adheres to the WHO Values Charter and is committed to put the WHO Values into practice.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This post is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by persons recruited in the local commuting area of the duty station.
- WHO global Competencies model at: http://www.who.int/employment/WHO_competencies_EN.pdf?ua=1
Interested candidates are kindly requested and strongly encouraged to apply on-line. You may access through:
· Career portal (WHO staff/internal): https://careers.who.int/careersection/in/jobsearch.ftl
· Career portal (external candidates): https://careers.who.int/careersection/in/jobdetail.ftl?job=2000357&tz=GMT%2B03%3A00&tzname=Asia%2FRiyadh
The system provides instructions for on-line application procedures.
Deadline for application: 20 February 2020, at 1:59:00 AM. (Interested candidates are, therefore, requested to observe time differences in their locality)