Epidemiologist- (Sanaa, Aden, Hodeida, Sa’ada, Taiz, Ibb, Mukalla, Marib, Turbah, and Mukhka) - (2000670)
Contractual Arrangement: Temporary appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Contract duration: One year (Subject to availability of funds, satisfactory performance and continuing need for the position)
Posting Date: Feb 17, 2020
Closing Date: Mar 3, 2020, 1:59:00 AM
Primary Location: Multiple locations
Organization: EM_YEM WHO Representative's Office, Yemen
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device's system settings.
Purpose of the Post:
To provide technical assistance and support to the MOH and partners with regard to epidemic preparedness, capacity building and rapid response to outbreaks in emergency situation and monitoring the implementation of Early Warning and Response System (EWARS) as well as controlling communicable diseases; including TB and HIV.
Objectives of the Programme and of the immediate unit or field activity:
Early detection of outbreaks
Timely outbreak response and control
Monitoring communicable disease trends
Reduce the burden of different communicable diseases in the community
Under the overall supervision of the Program Manager and direct supervision of respective Technical Officer and the technical guidance of Regional Adviser for Pandemic and Epidemic Diseases , the incumbent will work closely with the staff in the Ministry of Health at the national and sub-national levels as well as with other stakeholders such as NGOs providing health services and academic institution to provide the technical support to implement Early Warning & Response System and strengthen public health preparedness for response to epidemics. The incumbent will also work closely with concerned staff members in the country office, other UN agencies and relevant stakeholders to plan and monitor the implementation of the different communicable diseases programs including TB and HIV.
Summary of Assigned Duties:
Under the direct supervision of respective Technical Officer, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Interpret and verify disease intelligence data related to epidemic prone communicable diseases.
- Assist the MoH, in collaboration with the Regional Office, in strengthening, public health preparedness for epidemic diseases including improving capacities for detection and rapid response to epidemics and other public health events of concern.
- Organize training courses on field investigation and rapid response to epidemics.
- Participate, in close collaboration with the MoH, in field investigation for detection and response to epidemics.
- Expand the EWARS and monitor its coverage and performance across the country.
- Support MOH in analyzing weekly epidemiological data related to EWARS.
- Follow-up with the MOH for implementation of appropriate public health measures in response to occurrence of diseases with epidemic potentials.
- Produce weekly epidemiological reports on EWARS.
- Work in close collaboration and cooperation with WHO technical staff, other UN agencies, NGOs and other health partners for improving surveillance and response to epidemic diseases;
- Coordinate the implantation of prevention and control programs for HIV/AIDS, TB and other epidemic diseases in collaboration with Regional Office, MOH and other involved partners.
1) Producing results
2) Communicating in a credible and effective way
3) Creating an empowering and motivating environment
4) Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
5) Ensuring the effective use of resources
Functional Skills and Knowledge
1. Very good knowledge in epidemiology
2. Good planning and monitoring skills
Essential: University degree in Medicine.
Desirable: Master’s Degree in public health or any relevant field. Training on epidemiology and/or outbreak investigation.
Essential: At least 2 years’ experience in managing communicable disease surveillance programme. Experience in capacity building, developing and promoting collaborative partnerships.
Desirable: Experience in communicable diseases programs.
Excellent knowledge of English and local language.
Other Skills (e.g. IT):
Proficiency in standard WHO computer application (such as MS office).
WHO offers staff in the General Services category an attractive remuneration package, which for the above position includes an annual net base salary starting at USD 41,349 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same or lower grade level.
This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar or lower grade level position for other contractual modalities.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- Staff members in other duty stations are encouraged to apply.
- For information on WHO's operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO's workforce adheres to the WHO Values Charter and is committed to put the WHO Values into practice.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This post is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by persons recruited in the local commuting area of the duty station.
- WHO global Competencies model at http://www.who.int/employment/WHO_competencies_EN.pdf?ua=1
Interested candidates are kindly requested and strongly encouraged to apply on-line. You may access through:
· Career portal (WHO staff/internal): https://careers.who.int/careersection/in/jobsearch.ftl
· Career portal (external candidates): https://careers.who.int/careersection/in/jobdetail.ftl?job=2000357&tz=GMT%2B03%3A00&tzname=Asia%2FRiyadh
The system provides instructions for on-line application procedures.
Deadline for application: 03 March 2020, at 1:59:00 AM. (Interested candidates are, therefore, requested to observe time differences in their locality)