Ended Health Laboratory Officer
Health Laboratory - Agreement for Performance of Work (APW) - Aden
Job title: Health Laboratory Officer
Position Number: N/A
Type of contract: Agreement for Performance of Work (APW)
Duration: 6 month
Objectives of the position and the program:
The objectives of WHO's laboratory officer is to optimize WHO technical and policy support to health authorities in the republic of Yemen in the area of Health Laboratories with special focus on providing technical assistance Central Public Health Labs (CPHLs), National Blood Transfusion Centres (NBTCs), Governorate and District Hospitals.
Under the direct supervision of Lab Technical Officers and the Director of CPHL and working with MOH focal persons, the incumbent will perform the following specific duties:
- Provide on-site quality assessment and reporting on compliance to Good Laboratory Practices, SOPs and Quality Manual.
- Assist in the performance and reporting of diagnostic tests and help laboratories comply with SOPs.
- Carry out equipment inventory, maintenance and service support including review of daily and weekly maintenance logs.
- Collect, aggregate, analyze and report on laboratory data and submit report on monthly basis in a timely manner to WHO focal persons and Ministry of Health.
- Assess the current practice of specimen’s collection, storage, packaging and transport from health facility or field to CPHL or from one CPHL to other, and suggesting the corrective actions. Furthermore, to train and supervise laboratory staff on the proper clinical specimen collection
- Participate in review and /or develop of SOPs for diagnostic tests (mainly for the epidemic prone diseases), equipment’s and biosafety
- Participate in development/training, performance review, and competency assessment of laboratory staff.
- Coordinate sample collection, packaging, shipments/transportation from one CPHL to another or to an external international laboratory.
- Follow-up and report on laboratory incident and accidents resulting from non-compliance to biosafety procedure, fire safety and needle stick hazards.
- Support in the installation, training, and routine service of laboratory equipment’s
- Provide on-job training for the laboratory staff in operation of both simple and complex laboratory equipment’s and in performing diagnostic tests in a quality assured manner.
- Together with epidemiological teams, actively participate in the responses to disease outbreaks and perform lab component of outbreak response plan
- Perform assessment on the consumption rates of laboratory reagents/supplies and consumables and support in accurately forecasting their needs to avoid routine stock-outs and provide the technical advises on the procurement of laboratory equipment and supplies.
- Provide assistance in resolving technical problems resulting from laboratory equipment’s operations in CPHLs.
- Provide technical support to establish internal quality control system as per the recommended policies and guidelines.
- Conduct regular field visits to assess the performance of public health laboratories and identify critical gaps and unmet needs and recommend corrective measures key priority activities to strengthen the laboratories' capacity
- Perform any other duties assigned by laboratory technical persons or by Director – CPHL.
- At least five years’ work experience in medical laboratory practices in clinical or research facility.
- Experience working as laboratory manager, quality manager or lab supervisor will be an added advantage.
- Essential: University degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences (from a recognized University).
Interested candidates are kindly requested and strongly encouraged to send their CV To: firstname.lastname@example.org please clearly mention in the email subject Name of the position.
Only Short – listed candidates will be contacted
Deadline for application: COB 04 March 2020