Ended Community Security Manager
Job Title: Community Security Manager
Reporting to: Yemen Country Manager
Management responsibility: Community Security Project Team
Type of position: National Position
Contract terms and hours: 1 year full time (37.5 hours per week) with possibility of extension
Saferworld is an independent international organisation working to prevent violent conflict and build safer lives. We work with people affected by conflict to improve their safety and sense of security, and conduct wider research and analysis. We use this evidence and learning to improve local, national and international policies and practices that can help build lasting peace. Our priority is people – we believe in a world where everyone can lead peaceful, fulfilling lives, free from fear and insecurity. We are a non-profit organisation operational in 12 countries across Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
Saferworld is committed to providing a safe and trusted environment that safeguards our staff, partners and communities. Our organisational integrity is derived from the values and principles that underpin and guide our work.
Saferworld has been working on conflict resolution issues with Yemeni civil society organisations (CSOs) since 2010. Effective partnerships that benefit everyone are central to our strategy, approach and to how we work. With partners, we support women, youth and community groups in their efforts to build peace and respond to the impact of the war. Together, we identify and address safety and peace building needs.
Saferworld is working in several Yemeni localities to address local security and safety concerns and improve relations between communities and security providers. Saferworld works with local community groups to build their capacity to address safety and security concerns in order to strengthen local peacebuilding and governance mechanisms. We are looking for a Manager to manage all aspects of our community security projects including working closely with existing partners; establishing good working relations and providing on-going technical advice and guidance; linking with other teams across Saferworld to share best practices and lessons learnt on community security programming. The post holder will strengthen civil society partners’ capacity in-country, establish contacts and engage with national and local authorities, and ensure management of project budgets. S/he will engage on in-country advocacy and maintain internal and external communications on community security related matters.
The main responsibilities of the job holder are described below.
Roles and responsibilities:
Programme and team management:
Manage the Community Security related programme components
- Oversee and manage the overall delivery of the Community Security programme activities and ensure contractual compliance
- Provide leadership to the Community Security programme staff in planning and project implementation, and ensure quality control systems are in place
- Responsible for the overall financial management of the Community Security programme budget
- Ensure an overall monitoring and evaluation plan is in place for the programme activities, and carry out monitoring and evaluation activities to assess both the short term progress and long-term impact of the activities
- Provide narrative reporting for donors as necessary
- Ensure gender and conflict sensitive approaches are considered at all levels and aspects of programme development and delivery
- Ensure that community security programming is adding value in targeted areas
- In collaboration with the Yemen Country Manager, Yemen Programme Manager and other Yemen programme staff, ensure coordination and cross sharing of learning across other Yemen programme activities and projects.
- Line manage members of the Community Security team; manage external consultants, as needed.
- Build a high performing team to deliver on programme goals and objectives.
- Ensure high calibre staff are employed with the requisite technical, behavioural and contextual expertise.
- Ensure the effective implementation of performance management and learning and development plans.
- Demonstrate our organisational values and principles through leadership and clear communication, and by creating a supportive, engaged work culture.
Develop key areas of strategic engagement
- Map and assess community security actors and potential partners in Yemen, with a specific focus on local community stakeholders, CSOs and governance initiatives - including strengths, constraints and opportunities
- Identify collaboration and networking opportunities and develop working strategies
- Identify key areas where Saferworld is uniquely placed to contribute to technical and organisational strengthening of Community Security work.
- Identify and develop opportunities to facilitate collaboration and engagement between stakeholders and local authorities
- Lead on further development of the community security programme approach and delivery
- Build and maintain relationships with key external stakeholders, e.g. other INGOs, donors, and represent the programme externally where applicable
- Identify key needs and opportunities for policy and advocacy work related to community security programming
Further developed partnerships
- Develop new partnerships as required to expand the scope of the Community Security programme
- Ensure partnership relationships reflect Saferworld’s partnership strategy and approach
- Ensure the partnership agreements are in line with Saferworld’s procedures
- Work with partners to ensure they are supported and their capacities built where needed
- Identify and develop key relationships, ensuring regular engagement and coordination with strategic partners.
Contribute to wider strategy and programme development
- Participate and contribute to regular communications, progress reviews and strategic planning with other programme staff to identify areas of collaboration
- Work in close collaboration with Yemen and wider MENA region colleagues in the development of all programmatic approaches
- In collaboration with other Yemen and London-based staff, contribute to the implementation of the Yemen country strategy and the development of annual strategic objectives.
Key working relationships
The post holder will be involved in building and maintaining a number of key relationships, both inside the organisation and with external stakeholders, the main relations are
- Yemen Country Manager and Yemen Programme Manager – work collaboratively with the Yemen colleagues to ensure the effective implementation of activities. .
- Yemen Based Support Team– work collaboratively with Head of Office & Yemen support team (Finance, HR, Operations) to ensure the smooth & effective programme delivery as per the standardized procedures of the organizations.
- MENA Grant Manager and MENA Finance Manager – Work closely with to ensure good grant and financial management; provide content for narrative and financial reporting.
- Yemen CSOs Programme team – Work collaboratively with to ensure coherence across different programme workstreams.
- Colleagues in MENA regional programmes – Work collaboratively; share information, lessons and best practices.
- Colleagues in Programme Support and Learning – Actively engage with the team to identify opportunities for programmatic learning exchanges across the organisation and ensure programming aligns with organisational principles and approaches.
- Colleagues in Fundraising – Provide proposal content and work closely with to develop new funding proposals.
- External stakeholders – Maintain and develop new relations with partner organisations, donors, other INGOs, international institutions, governments and non-state actors.
Scope and accountability
Decision making and limits of authority
The post holder will be responsible for:
- Developing and managing an action plan and timeline for the Community Security programme, approved with Yemen Country Manager
- Management and oversight of budget allocated for the Community Security programme, approved with Yemen Country Manager
The post holder will manage the budget estimated for the community security programme components, TBC according to donor funding.
Responsibility for the work assets, equipment, documents, and resources.
The post holder will be responsible for line-managing the Community Security dedicated programme staff of at least 3 team members.
Legal, regulatory and compliance responsibility
- Ensure programme activities comply with local laws and regulations;
- Ensure programme activities comply with Saferworld’s manuals and applied policies.
- Ensure programme activities comply with donor regulations.
Knowledge, qualifications and experience
- Experience in community-based programming in Yemen, such as social cohesion, community self-help groups, local peacebuilding and conflict resolution.
- An understanding of conflict and governance issues in Yemen, including conflict dynamics and actors, key political, social and economic issues, peacebuilding/conflict prevention measures, and the role of regional and international actors.
- Experience working in partnership with national NGOs and civil society organisations
- Experience in managing programmes with a similar profile
- Strong ability and interest in monitoring, evaluation and learning for development and conflict transformation; including facilitating research
- Relevant university degree
Skills and abilities
- Fluency in Yemeni Arabic and English
- Relationship building, strong communication and networking skills
- Good strategic thinking and analytical skills.
- Ability to work flexibly and collaborative on own initiative and as part of a team
- A positive problem-solving approach and supportive management approach.
- Facilitation and coaching approaches
- Commitment to peacebuilding, justice, human rights and the pursuit of peaceful lives for all in Yemen.
- Commitment to and compliance with Saferworld’s safeguarding principles
- Commitment to respect and value equality and diversity, and understanding of how this applies to own area of work
- Commitment to own continuing personal and professional development
- Commitment to the vision, mission and values of Saferworld
- Role will involve travel, both inside and outside Yemen.