Ended Shelter Field Assistant (2)
Position Title: Shelter field assistant
Employer: International Youth Council-Yemen (IYCY)
Duty Station: Taizz Governorates,
Duration: 10 Months
Position type Full time
Starting Date: ASAP ( As Soon As Possible )
Application Deadline: 26 March 2020
Position reporting to: Shelter coordinator
Overview of International Youth Council-Yemen (IYCY)
International Youth Council-Yemen (IYCY) is a nonprofit, non-governmental and youth-led organization that is targeting youth and community in general. IYCY has contributed to Youth and community development through its programs and interventions. The span of programs and activities focus not only on youth and women but also on the community as a whole. Its projects include WASH, Nutrition, Food Security, Health, Shelter, Governance, Education, Peace, Energy, Environment and Climate Change as well as Youth development. it reacts to the sudden and new circumstances at the national, regional and international levels to support the humanity values as well as promoting the cooperation among the lives of people in the communities. The International Youth Council – Yemen has a legal and independent personality.
IYCY has a legal and independent personality. IYCY was founded on 01/02/2012 headquartered in the capital city, Sana’a under the provisions of Associations and Institutions Law No. (1) For the year 2001 with licensing number (24-24).
Broad responsibilities of the Shelter Assistant include ensuring the quality of shelter planning, implementation and follow up of all technical aspects of the sector activities beingimplemented by IYCY. Specifically, the main activities often include provision of emergency shelter and emergency cash grants; rehabilitation of housing; provision of physical infrastructure; and facilitation of community development initiatives for disaster risk reduction. This is a field based position.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist all distribution processes, including distribution of shelter, non-food and food items and other as required.
- Ensure that correct information is collected for each beneficiary and ensure that records of distribution are correctly maintained.
- Mmobilize the IDP communities and affected host populations to ensure their full participation in the project / program activities.
- Assist in identifying key persons in villages (Imam, other key persons such as women with influence) who can mobilize the community and support the implementation of the program.
- Assist in preparing and conducting meetings with community representatives and members in the intervention areas.
- Assist in individually and collectively identifying the strengths and weaknesses of village committees and propose appropriate solutions.
- Facilitate awareness raising activities with other partner organizations and disseminate information about services available for IDPs and affected host communities.
- Disseminate and share information with Persons of Concern (vulnerable persons) on their rights and access to services
- Maintain good relations with local implementing actors, local authorities and other international and local stakeholders in the field
- Assist in maintaining excel database to ensure that statistics and other reports are produced on a timely basis;
- Regularly monitor and report on the project activities and ensure compliance with plans and IYCY standards.
- Prepare weekly and monthly plans & reports to Shelter NFI Coordinator.
- Provide the Shelter NFI Officer with relevant documents and information.
- Communicate, exchange information and co-operate with relevant internal departments
- Suggest new methods and approaches in order to improve the quality of the activities.
- Conduct data collection as required.
- Prepare and file relevant documents according to procedures.
- Any other responsibilities as required.
Job Requirement (Qualification and Experience)
- Bachelor degree in community Development, Civil engineering / construction, Project Planning and Management, Information Technology Education or a related Social Science degree.
- Experience from working as an assistant Project Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Strong knowledge or training in community development or participatory approaches.
- Degree in civil engineering.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Proven practical experience in community engagement water and sanitation work.
- Community engagement and supervising contractors or community volunteers involved in WaSH, shelter, site coordination and management work and at least 1 year preferably with an INGO.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Some knowledge of English
- Fluency in English, both written and oral
Qualified Applicants meeting the above requirements are required to apply through the following link:
Note: Only shortlisted Applicants will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.