Ended Senior System and Network Assistant
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position : Senior System and Network Assistant
Organizational Unit : Information Management and Technology Unit
Duty Station : Yemen, Aden
IOM Classification : G 6
Type of Appointment : Special Short-Term (SST) Graded Contract, 6 Months (Renewable)
SVN No. : SVN2020/026
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : Sunday 29, March 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Context: Under the direct supervision of the Information Technology Officer, and overall supervision of the Information Management and Technology Officer and in close coordination with Global ITC Service Center in Manila, the incumbent will be responsible for coordinating the activities of the IMT Unit in Yemen and its remote offices. In particular, s/he will
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Install, configure, implement and administer network connectivity (LAN/WAN/Wireless access points/VPN/Servers)
- Assist in the planning and development of IT networks and system infrastructure including telecoms, identifying and proactively recommending required upgrades and modifications ensuring consistent service availability.
- Undertake daily monitoring and maintenance of systems and networks (LAN, WAN, VPN, VoIP), ensuring uninterrupted service of mission-critical servers and systems.
- Monitor completion and accuracy of server’s backup sets.
- Install and configure SharePoint Online or Server on-premises, and provide maintenance and support to all its end users
- Liaise with service providers for the provision of adequate IT services and supplies.
- Manage the maintenance of IT inventory and documentation for hardware and software (media and licenses).
- Monitor that all user support requests are addressed timely and accurately, with the corresponding allocation of resources.
- Implement IOM IT Standards and IOM IT Policies and Guidelines in particular with regard to networks, systems, telecoms, IT procurement and information security.
- Develop and implement when necessary, ITC training to Tier-1 helpdesk support and end users to ensure productive use of existing and new systems
- Undertake duty travel as required.
- Any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education & Experience
- University degree in computer science or a combination of relevant education and professional experience.
- Minimum 6 years of experience in a networking environment (LAN/WAN) and Tier-2/3 level network/desktop support. Extensive knowledge of Windows and Exchange Server Administration in a multi-site environment, TCP/IP, Telecoms/Network protocols, Cisco devices, VPN, VoIP, MS Office, Antivirus Software and IT utilities.
- Experience working with specialized international agencies (UN Agencies, International Organisations, and International NGOs) and in complex operations, including conflict and post-conflict situations preferred.
- Strong experience in server management, router and firewall administration, switches, load balancer configuration using KEMP, MS Forefront TMG or similar;
- Proven knowledge of implementing site-to-site VPN using IPSEC using cisco products;
- Experience in backup to-tape and backup-to-disk implementations using Symantec and Synology.
- Experience in multi-domain active directory environments using Windows Server 2008 or better; and MS Exchange Server environments;
- Experience in cloud computing environments an advantage;
- Experience with BPO IT infrastructures and implementing related technologies such as IVR, IP/PABX Voice and Telephony Systems, CMS, and CRM an advantage;
- Holder of either a CCNA, MCP (Windows/Exchange Server) and/or MCSA/MCSE certifications would be a distinctive advantage.
- Excellent communication skills, strong interpersonal and organizational skills. Commitment, reliability, efficiency,
- flexibility, self-motivation, respect for diversity and creative thinking. Capacity to coach individuals.
Languages English and Arabic
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
• Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
• Monitors own work to correct errors
• Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
• Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
• Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
• Keeps clients informed of developments and setbacks
• Contributes to colleagues' learning
• Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
• Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
• Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
• Actively shares relevant information
• Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
• Writes clearly and effectively, adjusting wording to the intended audience
• Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative
• Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Expands responsibilities while maintaining existing ones
• Persuades others to consider new ideas
• Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Leadership and Negotiation
• Convinces others to share resources
• Actively identifies opportunities for and promotes organizational change
• Presents goals as shared interests
• Articulates vision to motivate colleagues and follows through with commitments
• Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
• Identifies ways for their staff to develop their abilities and careers
• Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
• Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures
• Holds directly reporting managers accountable for providing fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
Planning and Organizing
• Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
• Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
• Develops strategic vision for IOM within area of responsibility
• Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
• Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
• Adjusts priorities and plans to achieve goals
• Allocates appropriate times and resources for own work and that of team members
• Correctly applies knowledge of specialized IT disciplines
• Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
• Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
• Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
• Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
• Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
• Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
• Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
• Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
• Contributes to, and follows team objectives
• Gives credit where credit is due
• Seeks input and feedback from others
• Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
• Actively supports and implements final group decisions
• Takes joint responsibility for team's work
• Learns about developments in available technology
• Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
• Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
• Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs
• Builds stable strategic alliances with relevant parties
• Identifies sources of and secures funding from external stakeholders to meet IOM needs
Emergency and Crisis
• Works effectively in high-pressure, rapidly changing environments
• Coordinates actions with emergency response actors and making use of coordination structures
• Supports adequate levels of information sharing between internal units, cluster partners, IOM and other emergency response actors
• Establishes and maintains effective relationships with implementing partners
• Makes correct decisions rapidly based on available information
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Female with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
How to apply: Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via the following link
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
“Only shortlisted candidates will be contracted”
Posting period: From 16.March.2020 to 29.March.2020