Ended IYCF Counsellor
Job Title: IYCF counsellor
Band / Level / Grade: 9 A
Location: Rusud - Abyan
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and in 22 US cities, the IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC Yemen Country program has been established in 2012, and currently is implementing integrated Health, Nutrition, Environmental Health (WASH), Economic Recovery and Development, Women Protection and Empowerment and Education programming in eight governorates. The IRC Yemen Country Program operates with its Country Office in Sana’a and its main Field Office in Aden. Other subfield offices include Abyan, Hodeida and Al Dhale, with the Al Dhale office covering Lahaj, and the Abyan office covering activities in Shabwa.
This position is a support position to the Nutrition staff in the Outpatient Treatment Program (OTP) of the nutrition program, as part of a larger primary health care intervention that includes maternal and child health and environmental health. The IYCF consulter supports IRC’s nutrition team in the running of all aspects of the CMAM program.
- Perform appropriate assessments of IYCF needs and malpractices and do analysis and come up with clear recommendations
- Develop an action plan to improve IYCF practice as per national guideline and give technical mentorship for the nutrition teams (Nutrition Assistant/Lady Health Visitor/Leady Health Worker/Community Resource Person)
- Build the capacity of Outreach supervisor and Community Resource Persons on the IYCF counseling techniques and ensure the appropriate techniques are applied all the time
- Ensure formation of the mother support group at the community level (in each village) and community IYCF counseling conducted for the group members regularly
- Identify model mothers and explore their best experience and replicate the best experience to improve IYCF practice within the community
- Ensure setting up of breastfeeding corners at each OTP/SFP site established or supported at Health facilities.
- Provide appropriate counseling for PLW, caretakers of OTP/SFP beneficiaries and mother groups on breastfeeding, complementary feeding and maternal and child nutrition
- Identify/develop appropriate IEC materials and flashcards in local language and ensure that the materials are used during each counseling
- Develop weekly and monthly plans towards the accomplishment of the work plan and monitor the plan accordingly.
- Document case studies regularly and shares with the team member and to Nutrition Officer.
- Produce weekly and monthly report regarding IYCF activities and submit to Nutrition Officer on time
- Any other relevant task given by Supervisor
- experience IYCF Projects, Preferably in International Non-Governmental Organizations (INGO)/NGO
- Proven experience working as IYCF counselor or related counseling activities
- Degree/Diploma in Nursing or related to health.
- Good interpersonal, communication and analytical skills.
- Ability to work in remote and eventually unstable environment
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, marital status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Qualified and Interested individuals are required to apply for this position via the IRC Career at the following link:
Deadline for Applying: March 30, 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.