Ended Senior Programme Assistant (Operations/Protection)
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position: Senior Programme Assistant (Operations/Protection)
Organizational Unit: Protection Unit
Duty Station: Yemen, Aden
IOM Classification: G 6
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) Graded Contract, 6 Months (Renewable)
SVN No. : SVN2020.033
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: Wednesday 01, April 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Working under the supervision of the Operations Officer, and overall management of the Programme Manager- Migrant Response and the Senior Program Assistant, the incumbent based in Aden is responsible for leading on operations, administrative function and other support activities to facilitate safe and dignified movements operations of migrants, refugees and o in compliance with IOM AVR framework and in coordination with relevant partners. All tasks set out below are to be performed in line with IOM best practices and standards.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and monitor all migrants and refugees movements operations in accordance with the IOM protection strategy and priorities.
- Mentor the field team on IOM operations procedures and verify they understand knowledge on protection of vulnerable persons, migration dynamics and migration management.
- Go on regular field visits to monitor project implementation and provide on-site guidance to the teams; organize regular meetings with the field teams to monitor progress, set objectives, identify issues and mitigation measures;
- Coordinate with partners, agencies and relevant government counterparts with regard to operations planning, procedures and practices.
- Coordinate all operational requests to imitate and implement voluntary movements of migrants, refugees and other persons of concern as per IOM Standard Operating Procedures. This includes:
- Coordination of all booking requests with relevant IOM units and missions as required
- Coordinate with authorities to facilitate movements at the airport / or seaport and any other administrative need.
- Coordinate on departure notification with other IOM units and missions as required
- When applicable, coordinate timely issuance of travel documents with relevant embassies.
- Monitor beneficiaries are counselled and well informed by IOM MPA teams throughout the movement process.
- Maintain and manage all the data files related to movements, including data entry in Mimosa.
- Collate regular progress data from the Operations and Migrant Services team to inform on-going decision making including collation of information/ statistics and other useful data;
- Assist with informal translation of documents and reports from Arabic to English and vice versa as required;
- Promote gender equality within the team and in the programme implementation;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration or similar field of study from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution with six years of relevant professional experience.
- Minimum Six Years Experience (four years for University Degree holders) in operations, administrative support roles;
- Experience in coordinating with multiple units and ability to establish and maintain excellent working relations;
- Good command of both written and spoken English;
- Proficiency in Excel and MS word; Knowledge of SAP an advantage.
Languages English and Arabic
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Female with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via the following link
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
“Only shortlisted candidates will be contracted”
Posting period: From 19.March.2020 to 01.April.2020