Ended Translation and Interpretation Assistant
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position: Translation and Interpretation Assistant
Organizational Unit: Programme Support Unit
Duty Station: Yemen, Aden
IOM Classification: M 5
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) MPH Contract, 6 Months (Renewable)
SVN No. : SVN2020/027
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: Wednesday 01, April 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub-Office and the direct supervision of the PSU Office, the Translation and Interpretation Assistant is responsible for the following functions:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist with translation of incoming communications to IOM’s sub-office in Arabic to English;
- Assist with the translation of outgoing communications from IOM’s sub-office to Arabic-speaking counterparts;
- Provide oral interpretation from English to Arabic and vice versa in support of the sub-office’s functions;
- Take draft notes from meetings held in Arabic language and share with supervisor/relevant colleagues as and when required;
- Proofread documents in English and in Arabic;
- Remain in regular contact with and follow guidance from the Senior Translators in the Translation Unit in IOM Yemen’s head office;
- Perform any other tasks as required.
Required Qualifications and Experience
University Degree in translation, English Literature, linguistics or relevant topics desired or completed Higher Diploma.
Minimum three years’ experience with a bachelor’s degree or higher, or minimum of five years with a high school degree/certificate.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality in performing responsibilities.
- Reporting Skills;
- Ability to pay dose attention to details and work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent computer skills especially Ms Office and SAP.
- Strong interpersonal skills Ability to work effectively and harmoniously within a team.
Languages: English and Arabic
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Creates a respectful office environment free of harassment and retaliation, and promotes the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA)
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
- Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
- Keeps clients informed of developments and setbacks
- Contributes to colleagues' learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
- Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Actively shares relevant information
- Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
- Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative
- Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Expands responsibilities while maintaining existing ones
- Persuades others to consider new ideas
- Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Planning and Organizing
- Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
- Develops strategic vision for IOM within area of responsibility
- Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
- Identifies risks and makes contingency plans,
- Adjusts priorities and plans to achieve goals
- Allocates appropriate times and resources for own work and that of team Members
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Takes joint responsibility for team's work
- Learns about developments in available technology
- Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Female with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via the following link
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
“Only shortlisted candidates will be contracted”
Posting period: From 19.March.2020 to 01.April.2020