Driver (2 Positions)
Duty Station [Aden -Yemen]
“Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in the Middle East (ME) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey with a Regional Office (RO) in Amman.”
About the job
This role has a country focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Check vehicle condition daily and ensure it is in running and in good condition.
- Check vehicle from safety point of view and make sure that all safety related equipment (first aid box, toolbox, fire extinguisher, water etc) are intact.
- Ensure that the vehicle has all required documentation in place prior to any movement.
- Drive DRC staff to field, rural and urban areas as required.
- Maintain regular contact with the Base/Office while in trip.
- Always implement a defensive and professional driving behavior and follow DRC Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) ;
- Clean the car daily and ensure proper cleaning service, at least, on a weekly basis.
- Report any defects in the vehicles to the concerned person without any delay.
- Ensure safety of all passengers (staff) and make sure that seat belts are fasten by all passengers.
- Perform day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle, perform minor repairs, arrange for other related repairs, and report to Logistic Assistant & Security Officer.
- Fill and maintain vehicle logbook properly and keep track of oil/filter change as per rules communicated by Logistic Assistant.
- Make sure the passengers sign the logbook after each trip with exact mileage and destination, purpose of the trip, name and signature of the staff and the driver.
- Keep the speed limit of 40 km/h in non-asphalted road or driving inside cities, crossing markets etc. and maximum of 120 km/h in asphalted road while out of cities on missions; strictly follow traffic speed limits and all traffic rules and regulations.
- Prepare monthly summary of oil consumption and report to supervisor.
- Report to the Safety department any suspicious activity in the travelling areas.
- Stay with the vehicle all the time while on duty outside the office.
- Follow proper rules in case of accident to the vehicle and report the details to the Logistic and Safety Officers.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the supervisor.
To be successful in this role you must have:
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Valid driving licence
- Minimum of three years’ experience working in relevant field.
- Knowledge of local traffic rules
- Knowledge of Car Mechanisms and maintenance
- Good Arabic Language written and verbal communication skills & Preferable English language
- Knowledge of area roads and neighbourhoods
- Result of Eye medical test
- Availability to occasionally take weekend and night shifts.
- When required to travel to all Yemeni governorates.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
Education (include certificates, licenses etc)
- English language (preferred)
- Fluency in Arabic language (written and spoken)
Supply Chain officer ( Fleet )
- Safety officer
- Supply Chain Manager
- Head of Support & Services
DRC will offer the successful applicant a One Year contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance.
Workplace Aden with field visits.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. This position will be placed at Band (J).
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button or the link below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close April 07, 2020.
Need further information?
For more details on this position, please contact email@example.com.
Please note that applications sent directly to [firstname.lastname@example.org] will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo