Project Assistant (Migrant Assistance/Case Management)
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position: Project Assistant (Migrant Assistance/Case Management)
Organizational Unit: Protection (PROTECTION)
Duty Station: Yemen, Marib
IOM Classification: M 4
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) MPH Contract, 6 Months (Renewable)
SVN No. : SVN2020/034
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: Wednesday 08, April 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of IOM’s Programme Manager (Migrant Assistance) and direct supervision of the relevant Programme Assistant, IOM is seeking Case Managers with a background and training in protection case management. With the aim of rolling out a case management system and ensuring quality case management support is provided to vulnerable persons in areas of IOM programming. Case Managers are envisaged for IOM standalone and integrated facilities that currently includes Migrant Response Points and any future services.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the team in maintaining a comfortable and safe environment where migrants especially women, children, persons with special needs can access assistance, and information;
- Under the guidance of the supervisors provide integrated case management to persons with special needs and extremely vulnerable individuals ensuring persons at risk of GBV, survivors, unaccompanied/separated minors, victims of trafficking, persons with disabilities, elderly are provided with individualised support;
- In coordination with the supervisors, provide general support to the team members including the case workers/social workers within specific facilities and service points ensuring confidentiality, data protection, and case opening and closure procedures;
- Support the team in coordinating with relevant child protection, GBV and other protection actors to ensure the proper and effective management of cases and, when applicable, use of standardized tools;
- In coordination with the superiors, support the referrals of cases needing specialized follow-ups to specialized service providers, ensuring confidentiality and safety of the beneficiary are safeguarded.
- Works closely with IOM Health and MHPSS teams to properly refer beneficiaries as needed
- Contribute to service mapping (of service providers) within the area of intervention to ensure that the teams are well informed of all the relevant actors, services and support available, under the guidance of the Snr Programme Assistant.
- Support in organizing community consultations, dialogue and focus group discussions when needed in support of improving services and support;
- Support in conducting outreach and home visits (where required) and ensures appropriate documentation;
- Receive referrals from other stakeholders and take timely action and provide feedback of actions
- Maintain accurate case records and beneficiary files in line with protection standards, GBVIMS and CPIMS.
- Prepare and take part in case management technical meetings in Aden with the sub national protection cluster and relevant sub cluster and working groups
- Follows up on administrative issues related to the functioning of the Migrant Response Point and coordinates with the Aden office on its redress;
- Attend meetings as requested by direct supervisor/manager
- Perform any other tasks as required.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree (B.S.c) in social science, business administration or other relevant discipline.
- At least 4 years’ experience as a case or social worker and with supervisory experience;
- Strong practical understanding of GBV, child protection and general protection case management procedures and processes;
- Understanding or experience in psychological first aid;
- Understanding of standards and practices in migrant protection and assistance;
- Understanding of protection principles and experience in humanitarian emergency response;
- Willingness to be mobile and support emergency responses;
- Prior professional experience with a humanitarian organization is required;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Good level of IT literacy (MS. Word & Excel).
- Ideal is understanding of psycho-social first aid and
Languages English and Arabic
Oromo, Amharic, Tigray and Somali.
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate has a valid Yemeni ID, is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Female with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via the following link
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
“Only shortlisted candidates will be contracted”
Posting period: From 26. Mar.2020 to 08. Apr.2020