Field Assistant (T&R)
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position: Field Assistant (T&R)
Organizational Unit: Transition and Recovery (T&R)
Duty Station: Yemen Aden, (working in Aden, Lahj and other surrounding governorates)
IOM Classification: M 3
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) MPH Contract, 6 Months (Renewable)
SVN No. : SVN2020/037
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: Wednesday 08, April 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates
Working under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub Office and the Senior Programme Coordinator (T&R), and the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Assistant (T&R), Aden (Lahj), the incumbent will support the direct implementation of Transition and Recovery activities in respective governorate through continuous engagement with local stakeholders and oversight over project activities.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Maintain close communication with different stakeholders, including with community leaders and local officials, to initiate and implement the projects in target communities;
- Participate in discussions and collective decision-making processes with communities on beneficiary selection, delivery of support, establishment of different committees and community groups;
- Facilitate different community level meetings, and organize training sessions, workshops, communication platforms, and other social mobilization and capacity building activities;
- Support in carrying out project assessments, surveys, and monitoring activities with target communities; assist in data collection, collation and analysis.
- Support in carrying out consultations with beneficiaries and other stakeholders to ensure that Transition and Recovery interventions align with the context and needs in target communities; document minutes and notes from stakeholder consultations.
- Participate in assessments of eligibility of beneficiaries for different support within the programme according to set criteria; maintain beneficiaries’ records and compile short stories, case studies, and reflections from targeted beneficiaries;
- Promote equitable participation and representation of women and men, including different vulnerable groups, in community consultations and project implementation;
- Support the implementation of community-based social cohesion building activities;
- File and document all community-based activities including different forms, both in hard and soft versions. Take and properly document quality photographs from all activities and events;
- Provide regular updates on changing needs and context in target communities;
- Foster an atmosphere of solidarity and unity within the beneficiaries; and adhere to the principles of ‘Do no Harm’ throughout the project implementation process;
- Perform any other relevant task assigned by the supervisor.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in social science
- Minimum three (3) years (one year for University Degree holders) of professional experience in the implementation and management of community mobilization and/or social cohesion building projects.
- Minimum of two (2) years of relevant NGO experience at the governorate level.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure.
- Strong experience in carrying out stakeholder consultations, supporting needs assessments and surveys.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish working relations with target communities and project team.
- Excellent knowledge of local context
Languages English and Arabic
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate has a valid Yemeni ID, is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Female with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via the following link
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
“Only shortlisted candidates will be contracted”
Posting period: From 26. Mar.2020 to 08. Apr.2020