Ended Area Finance Assistant
Area Finance Assistant - Aden
ACTED Organization Summary:
Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential.
ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential. ACTED is active in 37 countries and implements more than 450 projects a year reaching over 8 million beneficiaries with 400 international staff and 4,300 national staff.
ACTED has been present in Yemen since early 2012 and has been anchored to the governorates of Hodeida, Raymah, Ibb, Aden-Dhalee, Saadah and Al Jawf.
Through its comprehensive programming ACTED has been covering the full continuum of emergency, rehabilitation and development in Yemen. Emergency activities have focused in the sectors of Agriculture & Food Security (e.g. distribution of crop seeds, and livestock), Economic Recovery and Market Systems (e.g. income-generating activities such as cash for work), and WASH (e.g. rehabilitation of water supply facilities, hygiene promotion). ACTED’s food security activities include distribution of food vouchers, which are a key component of ACTED’s interventions in the country.
ACTED Organization is pleased to announce the below job vacancy with the following details:
Position: Area Finance Assistant
Contract Type: Fixed term
Contract Duration: 6 months, renewable
- FX: Collect daily currency exchange rates;
- Vouchers & Excel sheet/book: Daily/Monthly Check of file vouchers and register data in the Cash & Excel book;
- Ensure a proper accountancy updated in the excel sheet before sharing it with FO/SFO according to the given time line.
- Vouchers: quality of vouchers should be checked on a weekly base and at the end of each month and filled out adequately;
- Check every payment file and the justification files (for daily workers, procurements, salary, staff per diems and operational costs) before payment validation by the FO/SFO
- Supervising the correct daily allocation of expenses on “purchase orders” & “vouchers”
- Payments: process payments for items and services previously approved by the Finance officer and the Area Coordinator.
- Assists in checking and review of the quality of attendance sheets of Cash and Food distribution activities when applicable.
- Provide assistance to program and support staff such as hotel accommodation allowances, expense claims, etc.
- Insure a proper documentation of the files. Check and Scan the finance documents before it is sent to Capital
- Update the red cell game and send it to the SFO/FO for review.
- Safe & Cashbook: at the end of each day, check the cashbook and the safe and verify that balances match;
- Advances: ensure all staff advances are cleared before paying salaries.
- Track bank transactions and perform cross-check with the bankbooks/Excel sheets;
- Money Exchange Dealing: whenever needed, change money for the cashbooks and register the operation in the cashbook and Excel sheets;
- Money Transfer Dealing: register and exchange voucher references between Country Office and areas.
- Monitor the level of cash in the safe according to the internal controls set by CFM.
- Follow up with staff advances for program and reports it to the SFO/FO to insure closing it before the monthly closure
- At the end of each month, check the balance in the cashbook and in the safe, establish the cash checking statement and have it signed by the SFO/FO and his/her Area Coordinator/CD, weekly check to be done with the finance officer/Area Coordinator/CD.
- Bankbook & SAGA: Bankbook and SAGA should be checked before closing the accounting month along with the bank statement from the bank and a bank reconciliation to be prepared;
- Cashbook & SAGA: Cashbook and SAGA should be checked before closing the accounting month;
- Update the monthly accounting files and prepare it for validation by the area SFO/FO to be sent to the capital office on time and that it’s filled out correctly in (Red cell game) file.
- Whenever possible the Finance assistant would be responsible of the cash distribution in the field.
- Alternatively, if not possible the cash could be disbursed by the Program staff.
- Undertake any other tasks as reasonably assigned by their supervisor.
Replacement and Capital visits:
- The finance assistant could be assigned to cover / replace other bases cashier’s/ finance assistant or FO/SFO positions tasks in case of his/her absence upon decision of SFM/CFM with the approval of the AC in coordination with the Area SFO.
- Visits to Capital could be organized on a quarterly base upon decision of SFM/CFM with the approval of the AC in coordination with the Area SFO.
Job Requirement (Qualification and Experience)
- 1 to 3 years’ experience in the accountancy/finance sector.
- Bachelor’s Degree in audit, administration or accounting.
- Good computer skills (accounting software and MS Office).
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral, including report writing skills.
- Rigorous with keen attention to details.
- Good knowledge of financial reporting and internal control mechanisms.
- Discreet and respectful of the confidentially of the information dealt with.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Arabic native language and good spoken and excellent written English preferred.
- Ability to work well with people from diverse cultures and communicate efficiently.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Qualified candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to send an application comprising a detailed CV and a cover letter in English to: email@example.com
- PLEASE state in the subject line of the e-mail: Area Finance Assistant & rename your CV as: First & Last name + Finance Assistant)
- The closing date for applications is Monday, 26 May, 2020.
- Candidates from Aden governorate are strongly encouraged to apply.
Due to the urgency of this appointment, interviews would be on a rolling basis and candidates may be identified before the closing date
Contacting any ACTED staff member other than the contact details listed in regard to this job will result in disqualification