Ended Legal Activity Coordinator
National Staff Position
Position: Legal Activity Coordinator
Job site: Based in Aden (50%) with regular visits to INTERSOS Drop-In Centers (Aden, Kharaz and Mukalla) > this job requires 50% roving/traveling around in South Yemen (Kharaz and Mukalla/Sayyoun)
Report to: Project Manager Assistant, Project Manager
Status: Full Time
Legal Activity Coordinator is responsible for the efficacy and efficiency of INTERSOS legal services to refugees and asylum seekers and for the correct and efficient implementation of its activities in Aden – Basateen, Kharaz-Lahj, Hadramout- Mukalla and Sayoun, in accordance with INTERSOS’ mandate, priorities and donor agreement.
- Supervise, support and monitor the Legal services provided; the management of the lawyers and the organization of their legal assistance (counselling, representation) are essential in this task.
- Provide weekly and monthly reports about the legal services provided.
- Instruct the Legal Activity Lawyers on the methodology and the best follow up at the police, prosecution and court level of relevant cases; cases needs to be closed as much as possible at the court level or by mediation.
- Daily communication with the lawyers to monitor the status of the cases followed by them; ensure regular meetings and field visits with the legal activity lawyers in the most sensitive competent authorities.
- Ensure the timely reporting (within 24 hours) of new extremely vulnerable/ emergency cases to Project manager and Protection Coordinator.
- Guarantee presence in legal meetings and attendance in workshop/training (as trainer and trainee), as required
- Build trust and personal relationships with immigration, relative ministries, security and detention facilities personnel and officials, if needed (in accordance with INTERSOS’ mandate, SoPs and agreements singed).
- Supervise, support and monitor the legal assistance provided by INTERSOS’ lawyers at the DC, ensuring technical guidance; regular meeting should be organized; inform Project manager of the individual progress of legal cases, on a weekly basis.
- Develop and support the organization of legal and protection awareness materials; documents, reports and (updated) information on the relevant legal framework should be provided to INTERSOS management, upon request
- Respect deadline for the delivering of monthly report or any kind of urgent report to the translator/reporting officer.
- Legal Activity Coordinator should be available to work extra hours and available at the weekend for emergency cases.
- Legal Activity Coordinator will also be responsible for any other task not here listed but necessary to the project and activities.
- Hold an advanced degree in law.
- At least 3 years of professional experience working as lawyer in Yemen
- Demonstrated familiarity with the detention system in Yemen, especially with detention of refugees and asylum seekers
- Demonstrable experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with government counterparts.
- Strong representation and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
- Excellent computer skills (proven computer literacy)
- Demonstrated experience in staff supervision and remote management
- Strong experience with monitoring tools and systems
- Readiness and ability to move around in Yemen (North, Central and South)
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
- Clinical legal experience is desirable.
- Native Arabic - Excellent written and spoken English
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity
- Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks
- Ability to plan ahead and output oriented
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Practical and problem-solver
- Ability to deal with heavy work pressure
- Deadline for submission of application: 31/05/2020
- Documents to be submitted: CV and Motivation Letter (incomplete applications will be not considered), in addition to contact details for minimum 3 reference persons (include position and relation)
- How to send the application: by e-mail to email@example.com (applications delivered by hand will be not considered)
- Clearly mention the job and location that you are applying for in the subject of your e-mail!