Ended Shelter & Infrastructure Assistant
Shelter & Infrastructure Assistant
Duty Station [Mocha-Yemen]
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a protection of human rights framework, DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict. Programmers include protection, livelihood, food and NFI distribution, water and sanitation, and advocacy amongst others. DRC Yemen has been providing relief and development services in Yemen since 2008. DRC has mainly focused on refugees and migrants displaced by conflict and natural disasters.
DRC, through its specialized business unit, Danish Demining Group (DDG) aims to recreate a safe environment where people can live without the threat of landmines, unexploded ordinances and small arms and light weapons”. These goals can be effectively advanced through cooperation and joint action with other organization as well as with integration of operations and programs with its sister organization, DRC.
About the job:
- Ensure efficient and effective program implementation
- Monitor and supervise construction companies contracted by DRC for execution of projects
- Carry out technical quality control of constructed facilities
- Ensure gender equity and social inclusion in all aspects of DRC interventions
- Support the process of capturing, documenting and disseminating project experiences, achievements, and good practice as lesson learnt, case studies, and progress reports
- Support governorate & district level stakeholders in planning, orientation, training, and other activities
- Supervise technical aspects of daily workers and incentive labor
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement in shelter programming
- Actively participate in, and provide inputs on, site planning and infrastructure arrangements
- Train IDPs and host communities on how to use emergency shelter kits and repair emergency shelters
1.2.Site management and coordination
- Work closely together with community-based site management committees at sites
- Support site planning in order to ensure that IDP site residents are able to live in dignified conditions
- Monitor sites to identify needs, gaps in service provision, and duplication of efforts at IDP sites
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on sector relevant issues
- Represent DRC at meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings
- Ensure integration with other DRC sectors
- Support other teams in conducting multi-sectorial assessments of IDP needs
- Establish, maintain, and actively utilize networks of key shelter informants at IDP sites
- Support with the timely registration of IDPs, including identification of shelter related needs
- Support maintaining a comprehensive database of service and needs related information for each site
- Analyze site related and contextual information to support DRC MEAL project evaluations
- Provide, document, and track timely referrals and shelter service requests to key partners
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from at different operational areas
- Ensure distribution plans are prepared and shared with logistics in a timely manner
- Support the CCCM team in conducting shelter related capacity building
- Train site committees in site monitoring, especially with shelter related issues
- Actively participate in development and implementation of protection and gender mainstreaming
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Camp Management Team Leader to advance DRC's work
To be successful in this role you must have:
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum one year of experience in international and/or local NGO; ideally involved in the direct implementation of field level humanitarian assistance to IDPs
- Proven skills in building relationships with stakeholders at the community, local, and national levels
- Basic conceptual understanding of gender, protection, and human rights
- Good representation, negotiation, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Strong team spirit and ability to work comfortably in multi-cultural contexts
- Good skills with basic software, such as MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of field specific software, such as AutoCAD and Civil 3D
- Ability to spend extended periods of time in field conditions
- Ability to come up with innovative solutions to unexpected and challenging problems
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
• Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
• Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
• Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
• Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
• Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- • University degree in civil engineering
- Good Level of English language (written and spoken)
- Fluency in Arabic language (written and spoken)
DRC will offer the successful applicant a contract ends in 31 December 2020, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work As soon as possible, and be willing and able to work in Mocha.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. This position will be placed at Band (I Non-Manager).
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button or the link below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 27 May 2020. The interviews are expected to take place, in two weeks after advertisment closing date.
Need further information?
For more details on this position, please contact email@example.com.
Please note that applications sent directly to [firstname.lastname@example.org] will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo