Ended Security Officer
Role opens to Yemeni nationality only
Handicap International is an independent and impartial international aid organisation working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. Working alongside persons with disabilities and other vulnerable groups, our action and testimony are focused on responding to their essential needs, improving their living conditions and promoting respect for their dignity and their fundamental rights.
Handicap International is a not-for-profit organisation with no religious or political affiliation. It operates as a federation made up of a network of associations that provide it with human and financial resources, manage its projects and implement its actions and social mission. For more details on the association: http://www.handicap-international.fr/en/s/index.html
GLOBAL OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
Under the direct responsibility of the Liaison Advisor and in close cooperation with the Liaison Officer, and the Area Manager, the position holder will be responsible for the proper implementation and effective monitoring of all the HI mission security and safety procedures, including the reporting and context analysis and for developing and maintaining appropriate and effective relationships with different stakeholders. The post holder will also be responsible for routinely liaising with Yemeni authorities on behalf of HI for security of the team and related administrative issues.
Line manager: Liaison Advisor
Line Manager +1: Area Manager
Team managed: Oversight of guards
In collaboration with: Liaison Officer
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS DESCRIPTION
Safety and Security Management
- Fully understand and support Liaison Advisor to develop, update and implement HI Yemen’s safety and security management plan, SOPs and contingency plans, including ensuring and monitoring staff’s knowledge and adherence to policies and procedures
- Assist Liaison Advisor in delivering training to staff on safety and security Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs); Contingency Plans (CPs); Security Management; Incident Reporting and Emergency Communication System; etc.
- Provide security orientation to new staff and visitors.
- Undertake monthly check of office and guest house to ensure appropriate safety and security procedures/equipment are in place and functional (in coordination with Logistic Department)
- In coordination with Logistic Department, ensure that all vehicles are properly equipped, maintained and driven per HI Safe driving guidelines
- Provide security clearance to HI staff movements based on the security and safety situation and in coordination with Logistic
- Report any safety and security incident impacting or threatening HI staff, assets, programs to Area Manager and Liaison Advisor and assist in the incident management as required
- Support Liaison Advisor to conduct safety and security assessments upon request
- Anticipate / Identify access constraint and support management to develop strategies to address identified constraints
- Any other tasks assigned by Area Manager and Liaison Advisor
Context monitoring, analysis and reporting
- Continuously monitor and assess the safety and security situation in HI operational area and share relevant safety and security updates/ information followed by advisories with staff and management as appropriate
- Upon management request, represent HI at local NGO security network meetings.
- Build and maintain relationship with relevant stakeholders in order to develop strong networking for sharing security and access information and coordination
- Provide weekly security brief to staff (two ways communication: update staff on context and listen to security concerns/challenges staff is experiencing)
- Daily monitoring of media, social media and any other relevant information sharing platform
- Upon management request, liaise with actors in area (operation room, authorities or security forces representatives)
- Ensure the guard force follow-up in link with the guard company contracted
- Ensure that the access control policy is practiced in office and guards are maintaining all entry and exit record of the staff and visitors as per the set procedures
- Provide trainings and guidance to guards and staff as required
JOB CHARACTERISTICS / REQUIREMENTS:
Educational background and experience:
- Minimum 2 years in the humanitarian field with at least 1 year’ experience as security and safety officer for INGO or UN
- Non-military background
- Strong experience in context analysis and networking
- Strong knowledge in the requirements to work and move outside of Aden
- Good skills in mapping using Google Earth and GPS coordinates
- Experience working in liaison preferable
Skills and qualities:
- Ability to work under pressure with a high level of personal organization and flexibility
- Good communication and reporting skills
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and to HI’s mandate
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills
- Proactive, hardworking and discreet
Required languages & IT skills:
- Working proficiency in both English and Arabic mandatory (oral and written)
- Strong command of Microsoft Office Package
The working hours are the following: Sunday to Thursday – 8.00 to 4.30 (with 30 minutes lunch break)
Note that the working time can go up to 48 hours per week (according to the local labor law) if it is required by the volume of activities and by the line manager.
As the position is involved in sensitive topics, he/ she must observe absolute discretion within and outside the organization.
A non-respect of this clause might have immediate dismissal as a result.
- The salary will be defined according to HI’s existing salary scale
- Based in Aden, with frequent movements to the field
- 30 day leave/year + benefits (transport allowance, health insurance, life insurance)
- The working hours are the following: 8:00 to 16:30 (with 30 minutes lunch break) from Sunday to Thursday.
- Note that working time can go up to 48 hours per week (according to the Yemen labor law) if it is required by the volume of activities and by the line manager.
Interested candidates may please send their CV with cover letter in English, with the reference in the email subject: YEME/HR/2020/SUPP/SECURITYOFFICER/ADEN+ Applicant full name
Deadline for applications is 11:30 pm on (Tuesday 26th May 2020)
Please address all applications to: email@example.com
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Handicap International, is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.