Program Assistant (SNFI)
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position: Program Assistant (SNFI)
Organizational Unit: SNFI Unit
Duty Station: Yemen, Aden
IOM Classification: M-5
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) MPH Contract, 6 Months (Renewable)
SVN No. : CFCV2020/070
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: Sunday 31, May 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates
Working under the overall supervision of the Senior Programmes Coordinator (SNFI/CCCM) and under the direct supervision of the Head of Sub Office and the thematic supervision of Programme Officer (SNFI), the incumbent will support and contribute to the activities of the Shelter/NFI unit. In particular, she/he will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist the Shelter/NFI Programme Officer in planning and implementing shelter and NFI daily activities;
- Assist the development of the Shelter/NFI procurement plan in line with relevant sector guidelines and standard operating procedures; liaise with the Procurement and Logistics unit throughout the procurement process, and ensure that all items are in line with relevant technical standards;
- Assist in preparing contracts with NGO partners, and monitoring the implementation of their activities; follow up on payments to NGO partners when contracted works meet the appropriate level;
- Provide support on programmatic issues to NGO partners; prepare training materials and organize capacity- building sessions;
- Monitor Shelter and NFI stock levels; verify appropriate warehousing procedures are in place so that stocks are properly received, stored, and released;
- Produce daily and weekly progress reports, provide accurate data analysis and related updates; highlight areas of concern and make recommendations to the Programme Officer when relevant;
- Monitor the implementation of shelter and NFI activities and attend field visits as required to control implementation;
- Assist the Programme Officer in dealing with local authorities and other counterparts as required;
- Promote accountability to the donors; under the guidance of the Programme Officer, ensure that activities are conducted in line with donor requirements and project documents;
- Promote gender equality within the team and in the programme implementation;
- Perform any other duties as deemed necessary.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Disaster Management, Civil Engineering, Business Administration, Procurement and Logistics or a related field from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution with Five Years of relevant professional experience.
- Minimum Five Years Experience (Three for university Degree holders) in Shelter/NFI humanitarian programmes for internally displaced persons (IDPs), migrants and/or refugees;
- Experience working with implementing partners;
- Experience in coordinating with multiple units and ability to establish and maintain excellent working relations;
- Good command of both written and spoken English;
- Proficiency in Excel and Word; Knowledge of SAP an advantage.
Fluency English and Arabic
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Female with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via the following link
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
“Only shortlisted candidates will be contracted”
Posting period: From 18.May.2020 to 31.May.2020