Ended WASH Engineer
Location: Shabwa, Yemen
Position: WASH Engineer
Reports to: Project Manager
Duration: Till October 31, 2020
ABOUT RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in roughly 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty. Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way — emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the WASH Engineer will oversee all WASH related activities in ECHO funded project which include health facilities rehabilitation, WASH in communities and supervision of cash for work activities.
Essential Position Responsibilities and Duties:
- Carry out the needs assessment and infrastructural assessments for the specific needs of rehabilitation of health facilities selected to be supported through the Health and Nutrition Program or in other target areas, according to the project proposals.
- Preparation of the BOQs or activity plans according to the identified needs of the supported health facilities and in other target areas (if applicable), along with monitoring of the procurement process as focal point for the WASH-related budget lines.
- Provide technical assistance to the Operations Department in selection of the contractors for the rehabilitation works and other WASH-related contracts and activities.
- Ensure the implementation and direct follow-up of activities, management of field staff or other contracted parties throughout the cycle of the implementation of WASH activities and infrastructural works.
- Carry out technical supervision of the rehabilitation work at the supported health facilities and other WASH activities project target areas and monitor the quality of work as per the agreed BOQs with the contractor, ensure that all minor rehabilitation works are carried out according to national and international quality standards.
- Perform and document regular monitoring of all ongoing WASH activities and share the reports of monitoring visits with the relevant Project Manager and Area Managers and inform about any pitfalls or quality issues observed in the repair/rehabilitation work and other activities.
- Coordinate with the operation department to share the inputs for completion of work certificate and other required documents at the supported health facilities or other project areas for releasing the payments to the contractor as per the agreed timeline in the contract.
- Provide input to narrative reports, whenever required, and final reports, or any other type of reports or summaries required.
- Develop and maintain contacts and good relationships with the community leaders and beneficiaries, cooperate with government institutions, WASH Clusters at different levels and other non-governmental organizations, and the local community, and represent the project/program in front of the beneficiaries and inform them on project activities;
Qualifications and Requirements:
- University Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering or similar.
- At least 3 years of practical, hands-on experience in WASH sector, preferably also in Health and Nutrition.
- Excellent command of English, spoken and written.
- Able to work in harsh, unstable and difficult conditions, independently and in a team.
- Strong cross-cultural communication and resilience skills are very important.
In addition to the above related responsibilities, the WASH Engineer may be asked to carry out other duties as requested by the RI Management, in coordination with direct and technical supervisors.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
- Qualified candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to Click Here for submitting their application, the deadline for receiving the application May 26, 2020.
- Females Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted