Finance & Admin Manager
Job Title: Finance & Admin manager
Country and Base of posting: Hodeidah , yemen
Reports hierarchically to: admin base
Management: 1 HR officer, 1 Finance officer
Creation / Replacement (incl. name): Replacement
Contract Duration: 5 months (renewable)
Announcing Date: 20/05/20
Announcement Closing Date: 15/06/20
Work Starting Date: ASAP
General information on the mission
Première Urgence - Aide Médicale Internationale (PU-AMI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilian victims of marginalization and exclusion, or those hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency. The association leads in average 190 projects a year in the following sectors of intervention: Food Security, Health, Nutrition, Construction and Rehabilitation of infrastructures, Water, Sanitation, Hygiene and Economic Recovery. PU-AMI is providing assistance to around 5 million people in 20 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and France.
Yemen is one of the 30 poorest countries in the world with 54% of the population (2014 est.) living below the poverty line on less than two dollars a day. In parallel, since 2011 and the Yemeni revolution, the State is facing major humanitarian challenges. The transitional process failed to provide sustainable peace in the region. The country is now divided in two, with northern Yemen being under severe stress to provide for its population. In March 2015, a Saudi-led coalition began airstrikes in support of southern based pro-government forces, leading to a very unstable situation and dire humanitarian needs.
The armed conflict has spread rapidly throughout much of Yemen since mid-March 2015, with devastating consequences for civilians. Two years of violence has led one of the world's poorest countries into chaos. Around 70% of the population, or 18.8 million people, now depend on humanitarian aid (OCHA); 2.8 million people are displaced; Dozens of schools and hospitals were the target of attacks; 17 million Yemenis are food insecure and 3 million children and pregnant or lactating women are acutely malnourished. The lack of access to safe drinking water and sanitation also affects 14 million people. 14.8 million people have no access to health care. A generation of Yemeni children is at risk, as nearly 2 million children do not have access to education because of conflict, poverty and discrimination. Yemen has turned into the number one humanitarian crisis in absolute numbers of people in need.
PU-AMI’s history in the country and intervention strategy
PU-AMI has been present in Yemen since 2007. From 2007 to 2011, PU-AMI supported the primary health system in Hodeidah Governorate. After a one-year stand-by in 2011 due to security reasons, the mission re-started in July 2012 with a nutrition project focusing both on emergency response and a longer term community-based approach in Hodeidah and extended its activity in Raymah Governorate.
In 2017, PU-AMI continues to concentrate its intervention in 6 districts of Hodeida and 3 districts of Raymah. The number of IDPs in those two Governorates is very large and weight consequently on a population already living in extreme precariousness. The core field of intervention for PU-AMI in these Governorates is an integrated approach on nutrition including community-based activities (OTP/SFP and community mobilization as a strong component of the program, within health facilities, but also within an outreached approach and mobile clinics).
In Hodeidah governorate, PU-AMI works to contribute to reduce the impact and severity of nutritional challenges and to improve health status of most vulnerable populations, through supplementary nutrition integrated response based upon health, hygiene and nutrition education and capacity building (Mobile Health Clinic, support to Health facilities, General Food Distributions, etc.).
In Raymah governorate, PU-AMI is responding to the ongoing nutrition crisis through the same activities as in Hodeidah (primary health care and management of acute malnutrition for children U5 and pregnant and lactating women), as well as running a Stabilization Centre for severely malnourished children with medical complications.
As part of this integrated approach in those two governorates, PU-AMI also implements food security and livelihoods activities, mostly consisting on general food distribution and some Food For Training activities (started in 01/2017). In addition, water, hygiene and sanitation will also be part of PUI intervention in the focused area, with WASH being prioritized in the rehabilitation of health facilities to manage more effectively nutrition activities.
In May 2017, PU-AMI started being a part of the Emergency Cholera Response in Hodeida and Raymah through the set up or Oral Rehydration Points and support of one Cholera Treatment Centre in Raymah.
PU-AMI will also position itself in influencing positions, through effective participation to clusters and sub-clusters (nutrition; food security and livelihoods; WASH) and working closely with relevant government departments (MOPIC; MoPHP).The mission will explore opportunities for geographical expansion through developing and clarifying expansion criteria beyond the current Governorates and District.
The Finance and Admin manager works under supervision of Base Admin (Expatriate Position) and under functional management of the Finance and Administration Coordinator on the financial, accounting and budgetary management of the base and contributes to the human resources management in compliance with the procedures of PU-AMI and donors when requested to by the Head of Base.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Administrative and Financial Support: He/She oversees administrative and financial questions at the site, and ensures compliance with relevant procedures, with substantive support from the mission’s Finance and Administration Coordinator (FAC).
- Human Resources: Under supervision of the Head of Base, he/she supervises the on-site activities related to administrative and human resource management.
- Report and Dissemination of Information: He/She coordinates with the other departments for an effective and efficient support to the programs and represents PU-AMI in front of external partners, when requested to.
Specific Goals and Related Activities
ENSURE FINANCIAL, BUDGETARY, ACCOUNTING AND ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGEMENT OF THE BASE
- He/She contributes to set up aspects relative to finances, including budgetary, accounting and treasury elements in Hodeidah base.
- He/She updates on a monthly basis the Financial Follow Up in order to ensure an optimal budget follow up.
- He/she ensures that all departments know how to use the Financial Follow Up and helps preparing the purchase requests when requested to.
- He/she examines and checks all purchase files and ensures that all of them are recorded properly.
- He/She participates in team-based analysis (along with technical, administrative and logistics management) and is responsible for detecting anomalies and proposing adjustments.
- He/she tracks the cash flow for his/her site, consolidates the Cash Request (after update of the FFU), and oversees disbursements.
- He/she keeps a good relationship with Bank authorities and informs without delay the FAC and Head of Base on any changes occurring with the bank.
- He/She ensures compliance with procedures for undertaking expenditure commitments, and participates in the process of endorsing purchase orders.
- He/She organizes and provides training to the admin national staff in Hodeidah on these tools and procedures. He/she makes sure that these tools and procedures are understood and applied by the national staff.
- He/She controls and monitors the implementation of the tools and procedures and provides the necessary support to perform the service.
- He/She provides a technical support to Hodeidah Managers regarding financial tools.
- Under the supervision of the FAC, he/she contributes to the preparation of the audits and the yearly Tax Declaration.
- In collaboration with the Finance Team:
- He/She ensures the setting up and proper use of tools and procedures for financial, accounting and budget management in Hodeidah base: accounting procedures, accounting records (high quality of supporting documents), SAGA, budget follow up, budget projections, cash forecasts, cash management and cash security.
- He/She ensures that accounting entries and accounting vouchers are completed in compliance with internal rules, and communicated to the FAC according to the agreed calendar, after endorsement by the Head of Base.
- He/She makes sure that cash balances and bank accounts are absolutely and permanently backed up by appropriate accounting documents.
- He/She checks that all expenditures are properly allocated as per donor’ budgets and requirements.
- He/She ensures that soft and hard copy accounting are sent monthly to coordination and are filed according to PU-AMI’s procedures.
- He/She is responsible for the follow-up of leaves and attendance for the staff under his/her supervision
- He/she contributes to the intermediary and final appraisal of the finance assistant.
- He/She prepares the job profiles of staff under his/her immediate supervision
ENSURE HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT OF THE BASE
When requested to by the Head of Base or Financial and Administration Coordinator
- He/She contributes to the setting up of HR procedures and management tools in compliance with the labor regulations of the country of intervention and the HR policy of PU-AMI, and monitors risks associated with HR issues in Hodeidah base.
- He/She implements HR rules, procedures and tools in Hodeidah base regarding: new HR regulations, local staff contracts, recruitment procedures, payroll operations, implementation of appropriate working conditions, HR electronic and physical records and ensures their respect by all departments’ managers.
- He/She suggests possible updates to HR policy in terms of rules, procedures and tools relating to recruitment, remuneration, administrative management, disciplinary aspects and management of individual career development within the organization.
- He/She controls and monitors the implementation of the tools and procedures and provides the necessary support to perform the service, by explaining the HR regulations to all managers and their related responsibilities.
- He/She completes training programs for the local staff (logistical and administrative aspects) on an as needs basis.
- He/She handles the management of interpersonal conflicts that arise on his/her site, and refers the matter to the Head of Base, in the event that he/she is not able to resolve dispute.
- He/She ensures that the entire staff is aware and respects PU-AMI’s image and values, with full respect for local culture.
- When requested by the Head of Base and in collaboration with the HR officer:
- He/She contributes to the administrative management of local staff, in particular, payroll operations, monitoring absences, the construction, updating and archiving of personnel files.
- He/She contributes to the organization of recruitment (advertisement, applications, and interviews) for all departments.
- He/She participates in the hiring process, as well as in any decisions related to the termination of employment contracts of local personnel at the site.
- He/She ensures that all local employees are subject to a written evaluation at least once per contract period and per year.
- He/She assumes or delegates responsibility for the integration of any new employees at the site, and ensures, in particular, that logistical, administrative, HR and financial procedures, as well as procedures for the use of communication and transportation are explained and understood
- On monthly bases, he/she ensures timely Tax and Social Security reporting process.
ENSURE REPORTING AND DISSEMINATION OF INFORMATION
- He/She ensures efficient flow of information to the Head of Base and FAC, to the Program team, to the Logistics team, and to coordination team.
- He/She participates in the drafting of reports on internal operations in all matters concerning his field of action in financial, budgetary, accounting and HR management of the mission.
- He/She supports the Manager(s) in the performance of their admin activities, in a functional, not hierarchical, relationship.
- He/She sends the internal and external reports to the immediate supervisor, while meeting internal deadlines for endorsement (Accounting / cash flow estimates).
- He/She attends internal meetings, strategic reviews, and participates actively when requested to by the Head of Base.
- Under delegation of the Head of Base, he/she represents the association with partners, local authorities and various actors involved in the financial, administrative, legal and human resource aspects of the mission.
Focus on 3 priority activities relating to the context of the mission
- Ensures the proper archiving of all accounting file at base level and contributes to the preparation of audits
- Develop the Financial Follow up of the mission by contributing to financial follow up tools.
- Improve the cash management and cash security of the base, in collaboration with all departments.
Number of people to manage and their position
- Direct management: HR Officer + Finance Officer
- Indirect management: Cook + Cleaner
Required knowledge and skills
Human Resources Management
Min. 3 year in similar position
knowledge and skills
X (Excel and Word compulsory)
- Detail oriented
- Good stress management
- Resistance to pressure
- Analytical thinking
- Organized and methodical
- Reliable and Punctual
- Strong sense of responsibilities
- Strong listening and empathy skills
- Ability to adapt, manage priorities and be pragmatic
- Diplomatic and with a sense of negotiation
- Good communication skills
- Honesty and rigor
- Proactive, Committed and Flexible
- Service and Result Oriented
Suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to send their Applications (Application Letter & Curriculum Vitae in one document) in English to the Email: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 15th June, 2020. At 5 :00 pm, Please insert the Subject of the Email as : “Application for Finance and Admin Manager”.
Due to the high number of applications we receive, we regret that we will only be able to contact those who meet our minimum qualifications and skills