Ended Security Coordinator
Position: Security Coordinator
Location: Yemen (Dhamar-Hajjah)
Reports to: North Area Manager
Duration: Till December 31, 2020; Renewable based on fund availability and performance.
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in roughly 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty. Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
This position requires a dedicated, experienced, and highly motivated individual capable of working in a tough environment while maintaining a positive attitude, leading by example to ensure a healthy work environment. The position will also require exceptional flexibility in job function to serve the needs of a new program in a complicated context. The Security Coordinator will facilitate the implementation of RI Security Policy and Standards and help drive systemic change in the quality of safety and security management and contribute to building compliance with safety and security Essential Standards.
MAIN RESPONSABILITIES OF THE ROLE
Under the direct responsibility of the North Area Manager and in close cooperation with the humanitarian access and risk manager you will be in charge of:
- Assessing and analyzing the context in our areas of activity ensuring that all the RELIEF INTERNATIONAL measures described in the Safety documents are implemented and respected by the team in area of operation.
- Supporting the AM and HARM expatriate in safety management of RI staff and goods.
- Training/briefing of the team in area of operation on safety measures and SOPs
- Building relationship with relevant stakeholders in order to develop strong networking
Assessing and analyzing the context
- Follow up and analysis of the context
- monitoring the safety of the RI staff in the health facilities/distribution sites and where we work
- Propose updates to the risk analysis for each area of operation
- Conduct continuous and dynamic risk assessment
- Practically supports the AM in the liaison and negotiations with authorities to obtain access for movements in/outside the area of operation.
- Maintain a clear knowledge on travel requirements and clearance permissions needed to move and intervene in the area of operation.
- Support the AM in the organisation of assessments or visits in for all proposed new areas/institutions of intervention.
- Keep informed of any changes in the administrative procedures for movements, and in particular access to the areas of operations with sharing the updated forms needed.
Ensuring that all the RI measures described in the Safety documents are implemented and respected
- Ensure Guards are conducting duties properly.
- Talk regularly with guards about incidents, observations, possible improvements of the compound
- Ensure all registers are completed properly and the NO GUN policy strictly respected
- Ensure drivers are on time and able to work safely (no qat, no medical treatment, no tiredness…)
- Ensure office doors are secured, locked during non-working hours.
- Checking, advising and ensuring that access control procedures to RI’s premises are carried out accordingly.
- Ensure Movement Ops Board is updated and completed properly
- Monitor the building and makes sure that all the security measures are in place, if not report it to the AM and Log Manager for repair or maintenance (Including fire extinguishers, first aid kits…)
- Regularly assess the risks at the area of operation and provide recommendations for the team to work in full safety
- Ensure the respect of Fleet Management rules according to security rules applicable to vehicle movements, and that the related tools are properly used (Movement Plan, Logbooks).
- Ensures that visibility standard measures are timely respected and adhered to by all RI’s staff with reporting any failures or abnormalities to the AM.
- Regularly check and report for repairing all safety installations inside RI’s offices and GHs.
- Sharing ideas and essentialities to improve safe working environment to RI’s staff, visitors and beneficiaries.
Supporting the AM and HARM expatriate in safety management of RI staff and goods.
- Ensuring the necessary security systems are in place for all duty stations including the sub-offices in the future through regular visits to all work locations.
- Engage managers and staff at all levels to facilitate the adoption and compliance with RI Safety and Security Policy and Standards
- Promote the concept that safety and security plans and guidelines should be jointly developed by the whole team to create ownership and encourage compliance.
- Support to reduce the vulnerabilities to potential threats that might impact directly or indirectly the humanitarian operations that RI’s is mandated to perform in RI’s offices, or other areas of interventions and within all other RI’s assets.
Training/briefing of the team in area of operation on safety measures and SOP
- Provides internal safety and security training to staff members on the SOPs
- Deliver a presentation on agreed security subject (with AM and HARM) during the monthly general meeting.
- Provides briefings to staff members about personal health, stress, and preparation for the field as needed.
- Carries out security induction and briefing for new national staff and on arrival briefings for visiting RI staff on the general context.
- Liaise with RI’s safety provider (SECURITY COMPANY) on all their works and obligations, are being performed as per the contract and other framework agreements signed.
Building relationship with relevant stakeholders in order to develop strong networking
- Establish relationships with the key institutions and persons, at national, governorate and district levels to enhance acceptance and advise on keeping good linking coordination with relevant authorities to organizing and supporting the humanitarian works.
- Establish relationships with the key Non-Government bodies and institutions, at national, governorate and district level and represent RI at relevant coordination forums, clusters, and working groups.
- Facilitates acceptance of RI image by communities and local stakeholders through establishing relationships and promoting linkages between communities, project stakeholders and RI project staff.
- Ensures good safety information with humanitarian partners on safety and security-based measures are maintained and updated.
- Participate to the security cluster and write short minutes with main updates on access situation in Yemen for the AM and HARM.
- Ensure good internal communications and the effective circulation of Safety information between the different team members
- Implements an effective communications system to keep the teams informed about contextual, security and access related information that may have an impact on project implementation.
Qualifications and Requirements:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment. It is both very practical and technical in that you will be expected to produce results yourself, while also being strategic and require leadership.
- Degree in relevant area (e.g. humanitarian field, geopolitics, security …)
- Minimum 3 years in the humanitarian field with at least 1 years’ experience as security and safety officer for INGO or UN.
- Strong experience in context analysis and networking.
- Strong knowledges in requirements to work and move within Yemen
- Good skills in mapping using Google Earth and GPS coordinates
Skills and Qualities:
- Ability to work under pressure with a high level of personal organization and flexibility
- Good communication and reporting skills
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and to RI’s mandate
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills
- Proactive, hardworking, and discreet
Required languages & IT skills:
- Working proficiency in both English and Arabic mandatory (oral and written)
- Strong command of Microsoft Office Package
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
- Qualified candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to Click Here for submitting their applications by midnight
June 4, 2020.
RECRUITMENT IS URGENT: Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible and not to wait until the closing date, as CVs will be reviewed as they are submitted and INTERVIEWS WILL BE CONDUCTED ON A ROLLING BASIS.
- Females Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted