Ended Social Worker
Position: Social Worker
Duty station: Sana’a
Length of contract: 3 months with possibility of extension based on funding availability
Handicap International is an independent and impartial international aid organisation working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. Working alongside persons with disabilities and other vulnerable groups, our action and testimony are focused on responding to their essential needs, improving their living conditions and promoting respect for their dignity and their fundamental rights.
Handicap International is a not-for-profit organisation with no religious or political affiliation. It operates as a federation made up of a network of associations that provide it with human and financial resources, manage its projects and implement its actions and social mission. For more details on the association: www.hi.org
HI have been intervening in Yemen on and off for the last 12 years, with its actions initially focused on development issues, notably through the support to the development of physical and functional rehabilitation services for people with disabilities (PwDs) as well as through the capacity-building of the national networks of Yemen Disabled People’s Organizations (DPOs).
Since 2015, HI interventions have been adapted to the current context of Yemen. HI has been supporting two hospitals and one physical and functional rehabilitation center in Sana'a City, building the capacities of their key staff in early rehabilitation care and psychological first aid, supplying rehabilitation equipment, and directly providing physical and functional rehabilitation care and psychosocial support to affected people (including through the donation of assistive devices and provision of Prosthesis). In 2017, these activities have extended to new facilities in and around Sana’a.
While all of HI activities were done so far in Sana’a governorate, HI is planning to expand its activities in the Northern part of the country including Hajjah and Hodeida.
Currently, HI is adapting its operation to support the Covid-19 response in Yemen. In Sana’a, new activities are developed to support the hospitals in charge of the treatment of the potential Covid-19 patients.
GLOBAL OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
Under the direct supervision of the Project Officer and in close collaboration whit the hospital medical staffs and other HI field staffs, the Social Worker is in charge to follow up determined patients’ cases, for all none-medical support during the treatment or isolation stage and to provide a package of services at the discharge stage.
Line manager: Project Officer (PO)
Technical Line manager: Field Technical Advisor (FTA)
Strong functional link with: Identification and referral Focal Point
Team Managed: None
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS DESCRIPTION
Under the direct responsibility of the Project officer the Social worker will be responsible to:
Support to the patient well-being during the treatment and/or isolation stage
In close collaboration with the hospital medical staff:
- Participate to the daily meeting of the medical staff to ensure the coordination
- Distribute hygiene kits and recreational kit to the patient according to the needs
- Ensure the link between the patient and his/her family when requested
- Provide information and advices to patients in need.
Provision of services at discharge stage
- In coordination with the hospital medical staff and the HI technical teams working at the discharge stage, organize the discharge of the patient
- Conduct hygiene awareness to the patient and their caregivers and distribute hygiene kit
- Provide a basic inclusion awareness on risk exclusion
- Organize the transportation of the discharged patient when needed
- Provide information and advices to patients in need
- In link with the Identification and referral Focal Point, evaluate the needs of internal or external referral of the patient
Reporting and documentation
- Completion and filing of beneficiary data collection forms (quantitative and qualitative) through the use of program tools (e.g., beneficiary pack)
- Document each donation according to the procedures
- Provide a caseload monitoring form and a weekly report of the cases managed during the week to your line manager
- Any other reports upon request of line manager and/or technical referents (e.g., training/capacity building reports)
- Respect beneficiary confidentiality.
- Respect and promote HI’s Policies and report to your line manager any non-respect of HI’s policies amongst the teams or partners.
- Report any incident or act that causes any harm to beneficiary or to others.
- Always interact with children with the presence of their parents or caregivers
- Always respect a refusal of services.
- Ensure reporting of problems, challenges, or constraints in project implementation and execution of tasks and responsibilities to direct line manager
This job description remain flexible, to respond to additional tasks or changes as identified by the line manager. A high degree of flexibility is required from successful applicants.
Qualification and experiences
- Degree in human science (psychologist, sociologist, social worker, …etc.)
- At least 2 years of practical experience in social work services to vulnerable persons in the humanitarian context, preferably with INGOs in emergency context
- Experience in case management
- Experience in infectious disease outbreak response project is an strong asset
Skills and qualities
- Basic working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
- Good communication and listening skills
- Demonstrated attention to activity monitoring and reporting, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is required.
- Strong sense of respect for the confidentiality of beneficiaries data
- Ability to work under pressure
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage a large number of cases simultaneously
- Sensitivity to disability situations and vulnerability issues
- Strong humanitarian commitment
- Strict adherence to safety and security procedures
WILLINGNESS AND ABILITY TO WORK
The Social workers will work on a daily basis in a hospital treating potential Covid-19 contaminated patients. The project staffs do not work in direct contact with potential infectious patients and do not enter the infectious areas of the hospital. HI will insure that Infection Prevention Control protocols are in place and respected. The candidate must understand this working environment and take it into consideration.
- The salary will be defined according to HI’s existing salary scale
- Based in Sana’a
- 30 day leave/year + benefits (transport allowance, health insurance, life insurance)
- Note that the project will be implemented seven days a week. The Social workers will be required to work regularly on weekends, with a shift system.
Any breach of the above-mentioned responsibilities, of the Internal Regulation or of Terms and Conditions of Engagement may be sanctioned by a written warning or immediate dismissal if appropriate.
Yemen mission takes place in a sensitive environment regarding security of Handicap International staff and assets. Handicap International employee commits to observe utmost respect of personal and professional ethics, to adhere to principles of neutrality and impartiality, and to ensure necessary levels of discretion within and outside working space. Not respecting this clause will lead to disciplinary action and have immediate dismissal as a result.
- Interested candidates may please send their CV with cover letter in English, with the reference in the email subject: YEME/HR/2020/PROG/SW/SAH+ Applicant full name
Deadline for applications is 11:30 pm on Sunday 31th May 2020
Please address all applications to: email@example.com
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Handicap International, is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.