Ended Field WASH Engineer (2)
Location: Abyan( Zonjubar) & Lahj
Reports to: Project Manager
Duration: Six months
Organization & Background:
A humanitarian, independent, non-profit, non-governmental organization that works across Yemen. The organization provides direct assistance for conflict-affected populations, IDPs, host communities and vulnerable groups in the conflict areas. The organization, in partnership with international agencies, takes action during crisis situations, and goes the extra mile to engage in other contexts where its competencies will add value. The organization promotes durable solutions for conflict-affected populations and helps to restore services, education, economic, wellbeing and health.
The Field WASH Engineer will be responsible for the identification, design, implementation, monitoring and reporting on the progress of community construction and rehabilitation projects in the assigned districts. S/he is Responsible for day-to-day field management, supervision and provision of regular technical backstopping to WASH and Community projects.
- Oversee and create a community-based oversight system for all engineering works done by contractors.
- Develop detailed bills of quantities (BOQ) , drawings and action plans for the construction/Rehabilitation works required at WATSAN facilities in the health centers and WASH & community projects’ in collaboration with WASH program officer and engineers’ staff and based on assessment and program requirements, ensuring that recommended work is within the minimum SPHERE standard.
- Develop estimated costs for rehabilitation/construction works.
- Work with WASH program officer to draw up works tender documents’ and provide technical support to Bid Committees.
- Where necessary, take samples for laboratory testing of materials and workmanship
- Seek and obtain appropriate government sign-off on works at the critical stages; especially at the start and completion.
- Coordinate WASH construction activities with other local actors (governmental and non-governmental). Build strong relationship with local and government partners, Local Water and Sanitation Company, GARWP.
- Supervise and be responsible for all technical aspects of project implementation, ensure they are completed in a timely, efficient and accurate manner according to standard engineering methods.
- Ensure the Contractor is compliant with Statutory Law and organization safety and security protocols on all construction/rehab sites.
- As appropriate, ensure that the contractor maintains proper inventory control systems of commodities/goods transactions.
- Technical training of community volunteers, members of WASH committees, governmental staff and health canters’ admin staff on how to use and maintain the WATSAN facilities.
- Ensure that variations are approved by the project manager according to the organization procedures before giving work order to the contractor.
- Verify incoming materials are of the highest quality and from acceptable country of origin.
- Certify achievement of contractual milestones, and provide reports to WASH officer so payment to contractors can be processed.
- Regularly update project implementation plans to the project manager with associated time lines.
- Develop and implement safety standard checklists ensuring that beneficiaries’ safety is central.
- Ensure a safe working environment for all people involved in project implementation.
- Is responsible for maintaining detailed work plans and written records of engineering work undertaken in the project.
- Is responsible for a high degree of awareness regarding the security situation in the project area.
- Watch and report on any new needs arising in the project target areas.
- Write and submit weekly activity reports and filed visit reports at critical points of the construction/rehabilitation works.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Experiences, and Skills:
- University Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering, Architecture, relevant disciplines, or equivalent field experience.
- At least one year related experience and some supervisory experience; or equivalent training experience.
- Continuous studying and training in the job is required.
- Ability to define problems collects data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Effective use of computers – Word and Excel and preferably a design and drawing software (Autocad, Reviet, etc).
- Oral and written Language skills in English.
- Registration with a relevant professional authority in Yemen
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in relevant regions/contexts.
- NGO or humanitarian programming experience.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their updated CVs firstname.lastname@example.org by Mon, June 8th, 2020 at the latest, mentioning the job title and the name of the city you are applying for in the subject line. Emails without such indication will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.